Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding the right driver

Options
  • 12-06-2014 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

I just finished upgrading windows 7 32 bit to windows 7 64bit.
    Turned it on and it told me there was no network adpater driver found and i can't use the internet now.
    I've tried downloading different drivers but none of them work. It is a realtek network card. I've tried going on the realtek website to find the right one but there is alot of them and i've been going through them with no luck so far.
    Is there a way to find out which one i need.
    My PC is a custom make too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Did you try the motherboard manufacturers website?

What board is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

It's an Asus motherboard.
    I entered in the information and downloaded a driver.
    I'm not 100% it was the right one but it didn't take anyway.

I go to the asus website.
    It's pretty sure i need one of these drivers under the LAN heading http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8H67-M&p=1&s=39&os=30&hashedid=LjSSn573sBqqHh8X
    I tried in install it and it comes up "error 10".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Find the vendor and product ID from properties in Device Manager, then identify LAN chip from http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=1697 (they all seem to be Realtek on the Asus page). You should be able to find an appropriate driver somewhere else, Realtek are very common

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Didnt think device manager showed the vendor and product id when the driver wasnt installed.

Had the same problem with a wireless card on a laptop recently. Opened the laptop and got the exact make and model form the chip itself. A quick google and download later, BAM, done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Didnt think device manager showed the vendor and product id when the driver wasnt installed.

Had the same problem with a wireless card on a laptop recently. Opened the laptop and got the exact make and model form the chip itself. A quick google and download later, BAM, done.

For the record, the hardware needs to be installed (and waiting for a driver) to be able to get the IDs, and it should be listed in Device Manager.

It's okay, got it to work. Just uninstalled the old driver and did a system restore and installed the new driver. Simples!

Advertisement