Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bully Boys on the bird table.

• 12-06-2014 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

This time of year my Grandchildren and I love to watch the fledglings come down with parents to feed on the tables just outside the windows in the garden.

Unfortunately this year the black and white bully's (Magpies) have moved in and I have 3 which chase the youngsters away to gobble up the crusts. Yesterday, one almost got one of the young Great Tits which fell into the grass. Only my idiot dance at the window drove the Magpie away and the youngster escaped.

Aside from the obvious, does anyone use any home remedies that work to keep these away from the table without me having to stand permanent guard?

I have read of flying a hawk shaped kite but want to encourage my small birds not keep them away.

TT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

First, stop putting out crusts. Not only are they not appropriate food for young birds but the bigger pieces and scraps will always attract Magpies and Rooks/Jackdaws. Invest in a mesh peanut feeder and buy some seed mix. These don't attract Magpies as much. The seed can be put nin a feeder or scatter a handful on the ground each morning.

Show the kids the wonderful colours on the Magpies while they are there. Blues, greens...far from a black & white bird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Firstly, the crusts I put out are crushed down multi-seed bread which is an appropriate food for a variety of species. I have been feeding birds for 40 years and think I probably know by now what is suitable.

Secondly, I have a number of mesh feeders with sunflowers and peanuts. Irespective of what I put on the table, be it fruit, bread, meal worms or seed the Magpies swoop onto it and gulp it all down.

You are right Srameen they are very smart birds but I also want to enjoy Bullfinches, all the tits, Siskin, Robins, Dunnock, the finches and the occasional Pipit. Thank you for your advice anyway.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Put a cover over the table. If you can put a "roof" over the table, say 3 or four inches high, the smaller birds can take cover and feed in there, while the larger birds won't be able to. For this to be successful, the table needs to be big enough for the birds to be able to shelter in the middle.

Advertisement