Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof trail shoes and warranty

Options
  • 12-06-2014 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Just on boots and trail shoes. I bought a pair of Meindl trail shoes a while back. They weren't cheap coming in at around 140eur. They are Gore Tex.
    However, I am now finding that I am getting water in at the toes. I was wearing light ankle socks and so could feel the water quickly. I was out walking on a tar path during a heavy thunder shower.
    What is my position here? Does the warranty cover me as it is within a year? Could a thorn have pierced the Gore Tex layer and what options have I then?

Thanks

Comments

You didn't clarify what the warranty was. If it specifically said "no water will get in during the first year", you have good grounds. On the other hand, if you are relying on some more general claim, like "water resistant" in an ad, that's not a formal warranty.

Either way, I'd chance it, particularly if I was near enough to the shop where I bought them. I mean, if they were bought on holidays in the States or something, and again there was no formal warranty, I probably wouldn't bother. But that's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The shoes are Gore Tex which is widely sold as being a waterproof material in shoes and boots. I have the warranty so might go back to the shop.
    While putting your foot into a pool of water for a period may allow water in, the shoe should not be leaking when walking in rain.
    As I said a thorn or other object could have pierced the layer. However researching on the web it appears there are issues with Meindl and toe leaks.
    I should add that the right shoe is leaking more but both are leaking to some degree. This would indicate a fault rather than a piercing I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

OP, I'd be inclined to bring them back to the shop. Letting in water is no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

The shoes are Gore Tex which is widely sold as being a waterproof material in shoes and boots. I have the warranty so might go back to the shop.
    While putting your foot into a pool of water for a period may allow water in, the shoe should not be leaking when walking in rain.
    As I said a thorn or other object could have pierced the layer. However researching on the web it appears there are issues with Meindl and toe leaks.
    I should add that the right shoe is leaking more but both are leaking to some degree. This would indicate a fault rather than a piercing I guess.

Are they 'the Respond ' shoe they are not great . I would bring them back to the shop as they are gore-tex , and are not meant to let in water.

Would the Gore Tex liner be easily damaged through toe wear inside the shoe? I guess this would make the warranty invalid or should it stand up to that type of wear and tear.
    It is a Meindl Manila by the way.
    http://www.amazon.com/MEINDL-Mens-Manila-Walking-Shoes/dp/B00CS44P2K

• Advertisement

Would the Gore Tex liner be easily damaged through toe wear inside the shoe? I guess this would make the warranty invalid or should it stand up to that type of wear and tear.
    It is a Meindl Manila by the way.
    http://www.amazon.com/MEINDL-Mens-Manila-Walking-Shoes/dp/B00CS44P2K

how long have you had them ?

duckysauce wrote: »
    how long have you had them ?

About 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just on boots and trail shoes. I bought a pair of Meindl trail shoes a while back. They weren't cheap coming in at around 140eur. They are Gore Tex.
    However, I am now finding that I am getting water in at the toes. I was wearing light ankle socks and so could feel the water quickly. I was out walking on a tar path during a heavy thunder shower.
    What is my position here? Does the warranty cover me as it is within a year? Could a thorn have pierced the Gore Tex layer and what options have I then?

Thanks

Regardless of warranty if a €140 pair of water proof boots are letting water in they aren't fit for purpose under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act. Since they are only 6 months old bring them back to the shop, assuming that it's an Irish one, and look for a replacement or refund since it looks like the boots might have a flaw.

About 6 months.

bring them back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Gore Tex doesn't mean waterproof.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. I think I may well take them back now. It is true, if I pay 145eur for a quality product it should be lasting longer than 6 months. Only thing is I could be waiting a couple of months at least to get a return. Apparently these are sent off to Germany to check for faults. If I am to get replacement product what would ye recommend. I want something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Is there any such thing as waterproof walking boots or shoes???? I've had a few pairs of walking boots over the years and sooner or later the old feet get damp.

Wellies are really your only man if you want to keep your feet dry-ish. But then again on warm days, they'll soon be sweating inside the wellies and if vegetation is wet and long, water will get down over the tops. Of course, wellies are not always ideally suited to mountainy land and your feet will get tired in them after prolonged use.

My earth shattering conclusion is that if you want to walk on wet ground or in wet weather, well.... your feet are going to get damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

A waterproof liner in any footwear is subject to wear and tear the same as any fabric. With your foot moving about (even slightly) it rubs the lining and wears it down. At best the lining is only a bonus inside of the footwear itself.

How often do you wax or proof the shoes?

Advertisement