Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training with HayFever

Options
  • 12-06-2014 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

Anyone else a sufferer of hayfever and what do you find helps? I am finding it is impacting on training right now on all 3 fronts, pool, on the bike and the run. Do other sufferers have the same issue?

I find the breathing can be difficult at times (or else i am unfit) and i want to scratch the eyes out of my head:).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Emmalynn

Hi, I do feel your pain, I'm pregnant at the moment and running, and the potential has been getting to me, I'm using only piriton as recommended by my maternity hospital(I use them every summer and find they work better for me than any other over the counter medicines). I would take 2, they work after 40 mins or so, but they can make you feel quite tired . I would normally take 2 with a strong black coffee,(not during pregnancy of course) but while I'm pregnant I have a spoonful of honey and hot water and it does the trick for a few hours anyway. If I were you I'd take 2 40mins before you start training with some strong coffee and yes coffee will make you pee! But it's better than feeling fatigued. And be aware pollen is very high in the early mornings and early evenings. I'm no

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Emmalynn

I'm not a doctor obviously!! But it's from my own experience, best of luck, I hope you find some relief!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

I suffer a little bit from it, mostly itchy eyes, and mostly after cycles or open water swims in lakes (oddly not running). Swimming in the sea is such a relief from it sometimes too...

If it gets really bad any generic antihistamine works well for me. I normally just buy the cheapest own brand stuff in the shop. Ask a pharmacist they're normally quite good with stuff like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

http://www.boots.ie/en/NeilMed-Sinus-Rinse-Kit_121768/

Don't get hayfever but I find that works great for clearing me out when I'm having nose/throat problems. Should clear out tear ducts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Start taking a cetrine per day from first May. Obviously too late for that this year, but i do find they help. Start now and should take effect in a few days (not sure how long)!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Honey, but the honey source which is the nearest to you. Lots of people take honey but miss out on the additional benefits of not taking it from your local supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Nothing really works for me in terms of prevention, but the pollen-free sea air is good. If you've the time maybe try to get to the coast for some longer sessions.

I wear shades running and cycling, helps a bit. Also a nose clip in the pool as it minimises irritation.

If your eyes do end up swollen/itchy, fill a big cold basin of water, and apply it to your eyes using tea bags by holding them over closed eyes. It was shown to me as a kid. It's not a preventative but it does cool the eyes if you've been scratching them (which can't be helped sometimes IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

JB works in a honey factory so that should not be a problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

+ 1 for the honey

Have 1-2 cups of nettle tea, and a 300mg capsule of Stinging Nettle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Thanks folks i will give some of those ideas a try. Most OTC stuff does very little to help the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

If you don't have a moustache, grow one and smear it with Vicks VapoRub. And if you don't want to look stupid, grow a beard.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've only really suffered from hayfever in the past 10 years or so, but find it particularly bad at certain times with my eyes itching and watering badly. I take presciption antihistamine and a nasal spray (and I understand some of teh prescription stuff has come along quite a bit in recent times) which helps. However I also find that decent sunglasses (mine are prescription) also improves things quite a lot when on the bike

Advertisement