Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular GAA opinions you hold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Paul Flynn is a quality forward. Always good for 0-2/0-3 per game. Does all the dirty work in midfield and a great link between half backs - forwards. If Dublin go to an AI Final this year(hopefully) could be a shoe in for footballer of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Paul Flynn is one of the best footballers in the country, never mind forwards. 3 all stars in a row, he isn't as flashy as someone like Brogan or Connolly but he is brilliant.

I find it hard to compare Murphy with Brogan. Murphy in the current Donegal setup is more of a half forward than anything else, he's very rarely actually played inside. McFadden vs Brogan makes more sense...and in that case Bernard wins at a canter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Mayo might as well start their MAYO4SAM2105 campaign today, cause the won't be winning it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

robbiezero wrote: »
    I would rate Brogan, Gooch and Canavan higher than Murphy. McFadden in 2012 was better than him also.
    In time he may be one of the all-time greats of the game, but for me, not yet by a good way.

McFadden had a great season in 2012 and everything he touched turn to gold. Murphy's influence was still absolutely critical and considering he didn't get back onto a pitch until the middle of June and into the run of an ulster championship he done well.

On the way up to the final everyone with us to a man said we'd be getting a big game from him. He'd gotten himself fit and he's a big game player. 1-3 from play.

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Paul Flynn is arguably the best forward in the country But

Martin Dunne,Sean McCormick and Lorcan Mulvey all outscored him last year,So does that make them better forwards? :rolleyes:

I agree with this and was going to say it above. I'm not a huge fan of Brogan, but I think Flynn is fantastic. Best forward in the country last year for me bar maybe Gooch in at 11.
    Godge wrote: »
    It was 3-10 from play, the highest from play in the country (joint with Martin Dunne from Cavan) and he didn't even get to play the extra games in the qualifiers.

He was also top scorer in the League in 2013 with 2-38.

Brogan consistently appears at the top of the scoring charts when you look at scores from play only. Too many commentators are caught up in the overall scoring total which includes scores from frees. It leads them to laud fairly ordinary players as great.

A case in point. How good is Murphy when you take away his contribution from placed balls.

He's still brilliant. Everybody knows what he can do when he's let loose inside. He's a monster. His role has changed now and as he's so good it's not uncommon to see him in 3/4 different positions during the course of a match. His influence on a game remains massive even if he's not the focal point like McFadden.

Unless it's the case that Martin Dunne is better because he scored more from play than Murphy?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Mayo might as well start their MAYO4SAM2105 campaign today, cause the won't be winning it this year

Please tell me that wasn't a typo? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

robbiezero wrote: »
    I have great admiration for the teams that do not resort to this. The Monaghan - Armagh game last weekend was one of the worst I have ever seen.

Well yea an open attacking game is usually more exciting, but teams have to play to their ‘alleged’ strengths, thus the defensive game plan.
    But I think it’s been proven that a “defensive first, defense only” policy will only get you so far.

David Brady said about the 2011 Donegal team, that you cannot play tactics for 70mins, at some stage you have to be inventive, and he was dead right.
    It was only when Donegal added the attacking element to their game that they blew everyone away

The Tyrone teams that won in ’05 and ’08 were far more expansive than the one that won in ’03.

Loais would have beaten Dublin in the 2012 QF if they had been more attacking in the 2nd half.

Well yea an open attacking game is usually more exciting, but teams have to play to their ‘alleged’ strengths, thus the defensive game plan.
    But I think it’s been proven that a “defensive first, defense only” policy will only get you so far.

David Brady said about the 2011 Donegal team, that you cannot play tactics for 70mins, at some stage you have to be inventive, and he was dead right.
    It was only when Donegal added the attacking element to their game that they blew everyone away

The Tyrone teams that won in ’05 and ’08 were far more expansive than the one that won in ’03.

Loais would have beaten Dublin in the 2012 QF if they had been more attacking in the 2nd half.

The problem is aswell the level of punditry. Pat Spillane (<SNIP>) described Fermanagh v Antrim as a "Great game".

If that's a great game we are in bother. High scoring between two very poor teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

The provincial system is holding back the GAA, and is the root of all the problems with the club fixtures, and until it's abandoned in favour of a planned and settled calander the clubs will continue to suffer.

Darran o' Sullivan's goal, 'the flick', v Limerick in 2011 is possibly the most overrated goal in the history of football.

It was an opportunist flick, nothing more, is was in the right place at the right time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

randd1 wrote: »
    The provincial system is holding back the GAA, and is the root of all the problems with the club fixtures, and until it's abandoned in favour of a planned and settled calander the clubs will continue to suffer.

Provincial system isn't the problem, it's the scheduling that's the problem. Fixtures are spread out as much as possible to maximise tv coverage/revenue potential.

For example; four Ulster quarter finals played on four consecutive weekends. 22 days from the first Ulster quarter final to the last. They could just as easily all be played on the one day.

First provincial semi final was played back on the 8th of June (Roscommon v Mayo), last semi final was last Sunday, and as Monaghan v Armagh was a draw the provincial semi finals will have been played out over 5 weekends. They could all have been played off over one weekend, two weekends accounting for replays.

Stricter co-ordination of the provincial calendars would be of a massive benefit to clubs, and it would also prevent scenarios in qualifiers where teams who haven't played for 5/6 weeks end up being drawn against teams who haven't played for 1/2 weeks.

Although I imagine such strict co-ordination of the schedule would not seek universal approval from some fans and it most certainly would not be accepted by the GAA themselves for commercial reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I would much rather the All Ireland was played similar to International Soccer.

Play a match with the county then you go back to your clubs for 2 weeks then a week to prepare for your next Championship match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

aveytare wrote: »
    Who would you consider Kerry's best defender of the last decade or so, Hulk Hands? They've had a lot of good ones.

As a man marker Moynihan. As a player Tomas O'Se. Both top class

Provincial system isn't the problem, it's the scheduling that's the problem. Fixtures are spread out as much as possible to maximise tv coverage/revenue potential.

For example; four Ulster quarter finals played on four consecutive weekends. 22 days from the first Ulster quarter final to the last. They could just as easily all be played on the one day.

First provincial semi final was played back on the 8th of June (Roscommon v Mayo), last semi final was last Sunday, and as Monaghan v Armagh was a draw the provincial semi finals will have been played out over 5 weekends. They could all have been played off over one weekend, two weekends accounting for replays.

Stricter co-ordination of the provincial calendars would be of a massive benefit to clubs, and it would also prevent scenarios in qualifiers where teams who haven't played for 5/6 weeks end up being drawn against teams who haven't played for 1/2 weeks.

Although I imagine such strict co-ordination of the schedule would not seek universal approval from some fans and it most certainly would not be accepted by the GAA themselves for commercial reasons.

simplest solution of the lot.
    proper scheduling of games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Darran o' Sullivan's goal, 'the flick', v Limerick in 2011 is possibly the most overrated goal in the history of football.

It was an opportunist flick, nothing more, is was in the right place at the right time.

Didn't realise anyone rated it!

Does anyone think thre should be venue changes.

I think beaten provincial finalists should play the round 4 qualifiers at their own ground.

And provincial winners should have a home tie for a quarter final.

I'd much rather see for example a packed Killarney or McHale park than a half empty echoing croke park for a double header.

I know the arguments would be - Should a provincial loser get a 'reward' for losing a final.

-Grounds being too small

-Players wanting to play in Croker

But I think it'd be much better in terms of atmosphere and ensuring sell outs and creating a bit more a demand etc. Be a great boost for the wider towns and also bring back abit more of the mystique about Croke Park having it for semi finals and finals.

(Be a disaster mind you if it was Kildare and a ground only for for 5/6k!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Does anyone think thre should be venue changes.

I think beaten provincial finalists should play the round 4 qualifiers at their own ground.

And provincial winners should have a home tie for a quarter final.

I'd much rather see for example a packed Killarney or McHale park than a half empty echoing croke park for a double header.

I know the arguments would be - Should a provincial loser get a 'reward' for losing a final.

-Grounds being too small

-Players wanting to play in Croker

But I think it'd be much better in terms of atmosphere and ensuring sell outs and creating a bit more a demand etc. Be a great boost for the wider towns and also bring back abit more of the mystique about Croke Park having it for semi finals and finals.

(Be a disaster mind you if it was Kildare and a ground only for for 5/6k!)

Excellent idea,Agree 100% - For the likes of Kildare,Westmeath,Louth etc.. maybe they could nominate a home ground i.e Portlaoise,Tullamore

Quarter-finals in Croke Park are a total disaster alright.

keane2097 wrote: »

Are you being sarcastic or genuine?

I think it makes sense for the Dubs but I don't really get it for the others.

Are you being sarcastic or genuine?

I think it makes sense for the Dubs but I don't really get it for the others.

Totally serious, think the amount of games played in Croke Park is a joke.

It used to be an honour for players and a massive day out for supporters. I'd get more of a buzz out of going to Semple or Fitzgerald's Stadium these days.

• Advertisement

If the Dubs have such a big following, let them spend their money in a rural town some weekend instead of keeping them in Croke Park all summer

It used to be an honour for players and a massive day out for supporters. I'd get more of a buzz out of going to Semple or Fitzgerald's Stadium these days.

I agree with that. Obviously wasn't there myself but good friends of mine support the dubs and they loved that run in 2001 (was it?) where the dubs were in the qualifiers. Going all over the country and that there. They loved it.

I'm not one of those with an issue with Dublin being in Croke Park more often than not mind you. The favouritism calls are quite frankly, embarrassing.

Didn't realise anyone rated it!

The media were wetting themselves over it for weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

The media were wetting themselves over it for weeks

It was a non-orthodox finish that deserved SOME praise..which is what it got, was fairly quickly forgotten about largely. More notable is the fact that you bring it up almost 3 years later!
    His goal in Killarney that year was infinitely better in my view anyway. Just watching it makes me wish we were heading to Killarney on Sunday..:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvN7TAoLXxA

It all stems from the idea that provincial champs play in CP just like back in the pre qualifiers days.

In the first year of the QFs Roscommon lost to Galway in Castlebar, after having already beaten them in Connaught, and thus never got to CP.
    Someone must have felt sorry for them and decided that QFs should be in CP.

But seeing as games like league semis are in CP I can't see it changing any time soon.

It was a non-orthodox finish that deserved SOME praise..which is what it got, was fairly quickly forgotten about largely. More notable is the fact that you bring it up almost 3 years later!
    His goal in Killarney that year was infinitely better in my view anyway. Just watching it makes me wish we were heading to Killarney on Sunday..:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvN7TAoLXxA

I though the thread was getting a bit stale , not enough "unpopular" opinions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Excellent idea,Agree 100% - For the likes of Kildare,Westmeath,Louth etc.. maybe they could nominate a home ground i.e Portlaoise,Tullamore

You can be 100% sure that those counties will nominate Croke Park.

You can be 100% sure that those counties will nominate Croke Park.

What was does the money work? In terms of gate revenue does it all get pumped back centrally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Waterford's best chance of an All Ireland was 1998. They should have beaten Kilkenny, we were there for the taking and it was Willie O'Connor that got Kilkenny over the line.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

2004 and 2007 were huge opportunities also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Generally they're not so well attended. Agree with you on that. Is the 'Chance to play in Croke Park' overplayed? Exciting packed neutral venue surely beats it for supporters/players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Generally they're not so well attended. Agree with you on that. Is the 'Chance to play in Croke Park' overplayed? Exciting packed neutral venue surely beats it for supporters/players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Corporate suites take precedence unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

My unpopular GAA opinion is that they should stop allowing fans run onto the pitch it's a disaster awaiting to happen, also they really should change the whole structure of the championship to maybe a league and knockout tournament.

obezyana wrote: »
    My unpopular GAA opinion is that they should stop allowing fans run onto the pitch it's a disaster awaiting to happen,

Booooo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Booooo.

Haha :) you have to admit tho it is a dangerous practice that some day will lead to some one getting seriously hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gallowglass

I don't like how footballers and hurlers are referred to as 'Gaels', I have noticed it a lot in this social media generation, Joe Brolly also said in a speech something along the lines of "We have a lot of Gaels dying.....not that it matters if you're a Gael or not"

It's trivial but it's a bit like saying a Frenchman who plays Hurling is a Gael yet someone in Ireland who could talk all day about Irish-Gaelic history, has a good knowledge of Irish mythology and can speak Irish isn't a Gael.

It would be like calling any fans of Scandinavian soccer 'Vikings' or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The rule where a team a team down to 14 men or less even in normal time, can go back to 15 men in extra time because its a 'new game'. One of the stupidest rules in all of sports, never mind GAA

obezyana wrote: »
    My unpopular GAA opinion is that they should stop allowing fans run onto the pitch it's a disaster awaiting to happen, also they really should change the whole structure of the championship to maybe a league and knockout tournament.

The opinion that the football championship format is hardly an "unpopular" opinion, its one of the most talked about topics on GAA

I don't like how footballers and hurlers are referred to as 'Gaels', I have noticed it a lot in this social media generation, Joe Brolly also said in a speech something along the lines of "We have a lot of Gaels dying.....not that it matters if you're a Gael or not"

It's trivial but it's a bit like saying a Frenchman who plays Hurling is a Gael yet someone in Ireland who could talk all day about Irish-Gaelic history, has a good knowledge of Irish mythology and can speak Irish isn't a Gael.

It would be like calling any fans of Scandinavian soccer 'Vikings' or something

Yes I noticed that Brolly uses the term a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Dublin footballers whose parents come from other counties should not be eligible to play for the Dubs.

• Advertisement

freddiek wrote: »
    Dublin footballers whose parents come from other counties should not be eligible to play for the Dubs.

Why?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Why?

I think it gives them an unfair advantage. its a rural sport which is kept alive in the city through the efforts of a huge proportion of rural people who have settled there.

if u had a rule like this in force Dublin would not be dominating as they are now.

Same goes for the Hurlers. imagine trying to put together a competitive Dublin hurling team whose mammies and daddies were locals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I think it gives them an unfair advantage. its a rural sport which is kept alive in the city through the efforts of a huge proportion of rural people who have settled there.

if u had a rule like this in force Dublin would not be dominating as they are now.

Same goes for the Hurlers. imagine trying to put together a competitive Dublin hurling team whose mammies and daddies were locals.

ah I forgot. you're the fella who hates everything to do with Dublin arent you? I wont even bother with this debate.

bruschi wrote: »
    ah I forgot. you're the fella who hates everything to do with Dublin arent you? I wont even bother with this debate.

mature..

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭duffalosoldier

Compromise rules scoring system would radically change the gaa and in one swoop remove cynical play as players would be more inclined to shoot from range knowing minimum of 1 point would be accounted for and blanket defences would slowly fall....

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

Compromise rules scoring system would radically change the gaa and in one swoop remove cynical play as players would be more inclined to shoot from range knowing minimum of 1 point would be accounted for and blanket defences would slowly fall....

As a Kildare man, I heartily endorse the introduction of behinds into football! :-D

Why would you have 1 rule for Dublin and another for everyone else?

Why would you force players to play for a county they have no real connection to and why would you force them to travel miles to training every night.

Which parents county would you have them play for?

Finally, why would you introduce a rule that would have the effect of taking away a competitive tea from hurling when there are few enough of those as it is.

What difference does it make where a persons parents are from? If someones parents are both from outside of Ireland should they be not allowed play at all?

What about London/New York, i presume they would have to stop fielding teams altogether.

Great suggestion you have there alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

sometimes there are unpopular opinions, and sometimes there are dumb ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

It's opinions such as this that not only perpetuate the city/rural divide but also do great damage to the potential ubiquity of Gaelic sports as a unifying force in this country, meaning that your opinion is an attack on the very foundations of an ethos that you self-proclaim to be "protecting"...

:confused:

• Advertisement

Why do people still engage?

Advertisement