Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular GAA opinions you hold

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

freddiek wrote: »
    i may be wrong but it looks like u deliberately posted it again as a blunt reaction to what I said.

could u not think of a better argument instead of recycling an earlier opinion??

if you're intimating that i'm a hurling snob, that couldn't be further from the truth as i've never held a hurley in my hand competitively. People who enjoy watching the game a lot more than football are not "hurling snobs"

and to finish a post with a statement such as "nobody cares what they think" is really childish.

I don't think anyone is saying that anyone who enjoys watching hurling more is a hurling snob.

However, there is a trend with a lot of 'hurling people', which may not include yourself, to constantly run down football at any opportunity.
    Cyril Farrell being a prime example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I prefer hurling but I still love football.

The greatest game i've ever been to was football(Kerry v Dublin last year).

The snobbery is strange, both are amazing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Its easier to see why their is more hurling snobs then football ones.

Anyways.

I think that the Cups should be presented on a stage on the field in Croke Park. I dont see the point in going up to the Hogan and people can hardly see it. It was grand when you were allowed onto the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

deadybai wrote: »
    Its easier to see why their is more hurling snobs then football ones.

Because football is more popular and hurling people are insecure about it, hence the need to drive home the 'greatest game in the world' argument at every opportunity. Hurling is a wonderful game, but I dont really see the need for people constantly emphasize it and then degrade other sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Because football is more popular and hurling people are insecure about it, hence the need to drive home the 'greatest game in the world' argument at every opportunity. Hurling is a wonderful game, but I dont really see the need for people constantly emphasize it and then degrade other sports

I think hurling folk in the media don't really talk down football, it's more that they talk up hurling constantly, even when its a poor or average game - it's very rare to ever hear an intercounty hurling game described as a bad game, whereas the football pundits seem to have no problem doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'd agree with most of that, but I don't think they were huge outsiders in 2012, 2013.
    But they did have the misfortune to meet juggernauts those years, just as they did in 2004, 2006.

I think it's better to say that Mayo fail to perform above expectations in finals, where as other teams sometimes do , 2013 Clare hurlers for example.

Going by your definition of 'choker' the only ones I can find in recent seasons to match that is actually Kerry

In both 2005 and 2008 they went in as favourites v Tyrone (8/13 according in this parish in 2008) yet they lost both.

In 2011 they also went in as favourites and managed to lose after having a 4pt lead with 7 minutes to go.

Obviously they won 5 All Ireland’s in the '00s but on paper they 'choked' in three more
    I hope this isn't a serious post Fr.

I know you're not a member of the Kerry Fanclub, but if you think that Kerry team were chokers I'd worry about your ability to judge any football seriously.

Kerry aren't chokers.
    Mayo aren't chokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I think hurling folk in the media don't really talk down football, it's more that they talk up hurling constantly, even when its a poor or average game - it's very rare to ever hear an intercounty hurling game described as a bad game, whereas the football pundits seem to have no problem doing so.
    That's because they are bad games. A good skillful game of football at the top level is as good as most any sport you could watch. There's usually about three of them a year at inter county. It's mostly scutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Waterford are not on the cusp of greatness with their underage players. In fact, their senior team will continue to go backwards over the next 4 or 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I hope this isn't a serious post Fr.

I know you're not a member of the Kerry Fanclub, but if you think that Kerry team were chokers I'd worry about your ability to judge any football seriously.

Kerry aren't chokers.
    Mayo aren't chokers.

Well yes, a lot of it was in jest.

I was just adhering to the spirit of the thread title, i.e. ‘unpopular opinions’, and the other posters definition of a choker being a team that are big favourites but manage to lose.

But all of that ignores context and if it was the case then every favourite that failed to win anything would be defined a ‘choker’, then where would we be ?

Plus Kerry’s 5 AIs in 10 years clearly shows they are not ‘chokers’

As for not being “a member of the Kerry Fanclub” I think you are wrong there, after Mayo they are the teams I most wish to see succeed, and have found myself despondent after they lost to Dublin twice and Donegal in the last few years

But living in Kerry I see and hear a lot about Kerry football, and I think I am able to take a more objective view of them than native Kerry folk.

What I see currently is a team that are not yet All Ireland material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Those two Tyrone finals are massive blotches on their CV.

If they had won even 1 of those, I think they would have been regarded as the greatest team of all time, even better than the 70's Kerry side.

• Advertisement

Also I don’t agree with this assertion that the provincial championships have lost their appeal.

Maybe not completely, but they are a shadow of that they were. They are also very unfair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The speeches by the winning captain after the All-Ireland and other competitions should be stopped immediately. I'm not interested in who made the sandwiches or drove the bus to the game. Just stop please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Do we have to play the anthem before EVERY game. Can it not be restricted to finals?

The speeches by the winning captain after the All-Ireland and other competitions should be stopped immediately. I'm not interested in who made the sandwiches or drove the bus to the game. Just stop please.

Should be saved for the homecoming, or at least they shouldn't bother televising the speeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

seconded.

Stephen Cluxton's last year was dismal. probably the worst ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I actually do think there's an element of truth to the Kerry chokers thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Waterford are not on the cusp of greatness with their underage players. In fact, their senior team will continue to go backwards over the next 4 or 5 years.

To be fair they do have a good team and the underage is coming on good but as always with Waterford the question is can they can keep their egos in check and fist pumping to a minimum coz if they do they might just build a winning team.

I do agree tho if things don't go right now it will go very wrong for a few years. :(

robbiezero wrote: »
    Should be saved for the homecoming, or at least they shouldn't bother televising the speeches.

The speech at the end of the match could be worthwhile if they used it as a chance to do something unique. Michael Murphy's was one of the worst of all time - did he literally mention the sandwich makers!? - but he saved it by singing "Jimmy's Winning Matches" at the end.

Bryan Cullen's "SEE YE IN COPPERS" was another beaut. Also ones like Dara Cinneide's Gaeilge amhán speech was memorable, Anthony Daly etc.

Essentially, if you've nothing interesting to say don't bother with it, we all commend you for winning the All Ireland but don't bore us by interminable references to Mick the physio unless there's going to be some "whipping boys of Munster" style pay off.

obezyana wrote: »
    To be fair they do have a good team and the underage is coming on good but as always with Waterford the question is can they can keep their egos in check and fist pumping to a minimum coz if they do they might just build a winning team.

I do agree tho if things don't go right now it will go very wrong for a few years. :(

Possibly an unpopular opinion but I think the GAA needs more fist-pumping. MUCH more.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

I'd agree with most of that, but I don't think they were huge outsiders in 2012, 2013.
    But they did have the misfortune to meet juggernauts those years, just as they did in 2004, 2006.

I think it's better to say that Mayo fail to perform above expectations in finals, where as other teams sometimes do , 2013 Clare hurlers for example.

Going by your definition of 'choker' the only ones I can find in recent seasons to match that is actually Kerry

In both 2005 and 2008 they went in as favourites v Tyrone (8/13 according in this parish in 2008) yet they lost both.

In 2011 they also went in as favourites and managed to lose after having a 4pt lead with 7 minutes to go.

Obviously they won 5 All Ireland’s in the '00s but on paper they 'choked' in three more

Kerry in the last 10 years or so don't seem to have the strength of character in abundance to match the natural ability in their panel, which is the best in the country.

they wouldn't have lost so many close matches in Croke Park in that period if they had more resilience. The titles they did win were usually claimed by hockeying the likes of Mayo by 20-odd points.

a lot of those close defeats to Armagh, Tyrone, the Dubs etc. will still be fresh in their minds now even for some of those involved that have retired.

the Kerry ' choking ' argument is not a new one either. Joe Brolly has spoken about their problem but I thought he went too far by personalizing it in an attack on the Gooch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

keane2097 wrote: »
    Bryan Cullen's "SEE YE IN COPPERS" was another beaut. .

That made me cringe tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

keane2097 wrote: »
    Possibly an unpopular opinion but I think the GAA needs more fist-pumping. MUCH more.

Nooooo it should be banned in Waterford as it takes too much energy out of the players during a game as they get more pumped up from gaining a free than a score............drives me mad.......Mullane was a whore for it but then again he was excused coz I'd say he fist pumps even when he is eating his breakfast :D

iDave wrote: »
    That made me cringe tbh

Yeah definitely was cringe as **** but at least it was memorable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

A lot of poor Kerry teams won All Irelands

whereas a lot of good teams in other provinces never got out of their provinces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Name 1?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

nice_guy80 wrote: »

A lot of good Cork teams never got out of Munster because they couldn't get past great Kerry teams year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

freddiek wrote: »
    seconded.

Stephen Cluxton's last year was dismal. probably the worst ever.

How so? He didn't give the hip hip dribble. I'm sure the Mayo players would have gave a **** regardless. Who is that hip hip for anyway. So condescending.
    Taught it was a great speech for someone who is clearly uncomfortable at speaking in public. Thanked player coaches and manager. Thanked Mayo for a great final and wished them well for other years.

Full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Cha Fitzpatrick did class speech in 2008

"It's been almost a century since we last achieved this feat. In 1934 it couldn't be done. In 1976 it couldn't be done. In 1984 it couldn't be done. In 1994 it couldn't be done in. In 2004 it couldn't be done. In 2008 it has been done and by God its been done well"

I dont see the need to get rid of them. If you don't like them, don't watch them.

deadybai wrote: »
    Cha Fitzpatrick did class speech in 2008

"It's been almost a century since we last achieved this feat. In 1934 it couldn't be done. In 1976 it couldn't be done. In 1984 it couldn't be done. In 1994 it couldn't be done in. In 2004 it couldn't be done. In 2008 it has been done and by God its been done well"

I dont see the need to get rid of them. If you don't like them, don't watch them.

That was another super-cringe speech but also memorable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

When will the Galway hurlers be booted out of Leinster and back to their own province........the same applies to the Antrim hurlers. Better still, they could combine and have their own championship, and in the process give Galway a good chance of winning silverware most years.

And before the "we had a great 2012" chorus starts......I agree you did, but playing well for a couple of games one year out of five doesn't make you a team that deserves to stay in Leinster as long term guests. Since 2012, Laois have been the only county to have lost to you in the Championship.......Maybe time to include New York and London in a new Connaught championship like in the football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Flem31 wrote: »
    When will the Galway hurlers be booted out of Leinster and back to their own province........the same applies to the Antrim hurlers. Better still, they could combine and have their own championship, and in the process give Galway a good chance of winning silverware most years.

And before the "we had a great 2012" chorus starts......I agree you did, but playing well for a couple of games one year out of five doesn't make you a team that deserves to stay in Leinster as long term guests. Since 2012, Laois have been the only county to have lost to you in the Championship.......Maybe time to include New York and London in a new Connaught championship like in the football.

The last thing the Hurling Championship needs is Galway outside of Leinster again. The championship is now nicely balanced with 2 competitive provincial championships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Donal Maloney and Gerry O Connor should be managing the Clare senior hurlers after the success they have brought at underage. Colm Collins has put a bit of life into Clare football again.

The last thing the Hurling Championship needs is Galway outside of Leinster again. The championship is now nicely balanced with 2 competitive provincial championships.

I disagree.....Leinster becoming more competitive anyway and Galway aren't really contributing as much as it was originally expected.
    Getting tired of seeing Leinster as the catch all province and the weaker Leinster counties have drastically reduced opportunities of playing Kilkenny even once in the championship in a hurling career as slots are filled by counties outside of Leinster.
    Yes, the weaker county would get trounced, but a least they could say they played the best team in Leinster over the last decade, not the only team from Connaught or Ulster.

What's great for the viewing public may not be great for all of Leinster hurling. It is not just about the stronger counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I disagree.....Leinster becoming more competitive anyway and Galway aren't really contributing as much as it was originally expected.
    Getting tired of seeing Leinster as the catch all province and the weaker Leinster counties have drastically reduced opportunities of playing Kilkenny even once in the championship in a hurling career as slots are filled by counties outside of Leinster.
    Yes, the weaker county would get trounced, but a least they could say they played the best team in Leinster over the last decade, not the only team from Connaught or Ulster.

What's great for the viewing public may not be great for all of Leinster hurling. It is not just about the stronger counties.
    I see your point but that doesn't mean Galway and Antrim shouldn't compete in Leinster. Leinster isn't seen as the catch all province and the weaker counties in Leinster aren't ready to play Kilkenny yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 PatrickJoseph

"Cork are a second half team". Not much of that v Kerry!!!

• Advertisement

I see your point but that doesn't mean Galway and Antrim shouldn't compete in Leinster. Leinster isn't seen as the catch all province and the weaker counties in Leinster aren't ready to play Kilkenny yet.

Leinster is a catch all as three counties Galway Antrim and London all appeared in this year's Leinster championship while five Leinster counties missed out.

If a Leinster county is excluded from this years championship, the only way to get in next year is to win the Christy Ring Cup in 2014 and win a playoff against an existing team in the Leinster Championship.
    What is interesting is that eight teams compete for the Christy Ring Cup and this year, five of those teams are outside Leinster (1 Munster, 1 Connaught and 3 Ulster).
    So if the Kerry hurlers had won the Christy Ring cup and the playoff......they would have been in next year's Leinster Championship rather than the Munster one ? Sounds weird to me.

And are Kerry or London or Antrim better able to play Kilkenny than Meath or Kildare ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

So Leinster should be kept sacrosanct for Leinster counties only, but we should disregard Ulster and Connacht's provincial status by locking Antrim in a cage with Galway to get an absolute trouncing every single year?

Galway and Antrim in Leinster are good things. I'm not sure what the alternative is, have a pointless Connacht championship where Roscommon and Mayo play a semi final to see which one gets their ass handed to them by Galway in the final?

Same with Ulster, Antrim dont even care about the Ulster championship but would still win it with their eyes closed and one hand tied behind their backs.

People are always giving out about Galways "easy" run to U21 and minor titles where they havent to play a provincial campaign, but apparently in senior thats the system we should be using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Also, my latest opinion: I reckon about 5% of people actually know what the foot block rule is.

It really grates when a forward kicks the ball, it travels about 5 metres before a defender deflects it with his foot, and some idiot will always, always shout "FOOT-BLOCK!" at the ref.

To their credit referees generally apply the rule correctly in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Also, my latest opinion: I reckon about 5% of people actually know what the foot block rule is.

It really grates when a forward kicks the ball, it travels about 5 metres before a defender deflects it with his foot, and some idiot will always, always shout "FOOT-BLOCK!" at the ref.

To their credit referees generally apply the rule correctly in my experience.

There was a game on television a few months back (cant remember the game or even channel) and both the commentator and co-commentator were giving out that the ref hadn't given a penalty for a foot-block that wasn't a foot-block at all.

Ref got it right, but didnt stop the two lads giving him serious grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

So, 6 years in the province, reached 3 leinster finals and won 1. In the 6 years in leinster they have only been beaten by Kilkenny and Dublin.

The leinster championship was in dire condition before they entered. It has become a more competitive province and other teams are catching up now making it very interesting indeed.

imo the minors and u21s should be in the province also. However it would meet strong objections and your attitude exemplifies it perfectly!!!

• Advertisement

So Leinster should be kept sacrosanct for Leinster counties only, but we should disregard Ulster and Connacht's provincial status by locking Antrim in a cage with Galway to get an absolute trouncing every single year?

Galway and Antrim in Leinster are good things. I'm not sure what the alternative is, have a pointless Connacht championship where Roscommon and Mayo play a semi final to see which one gets their ass handed to them by Galway in the final?

Same with Ulster, Antrim dont even care about the Ulster championship but would still win it with their eyes closed and one hand tied behind their backs.

People are always giving out about Galways "easy" run to U21 and minor titles where they havent to play a provincial campaign, but apparently in senior thats the system we should be using?

Why aren't some of the Ulster and Connaught teams fed into the Munster championship.
    Why is Munster so sacrosanct ? After all, barring replays, the entire championship is four games from start to finish.

I said earlier that Leinster is a catch all provincial championship.......five counties play in Munster and all the rest are positioned in a pyramid system into the Leinster system.

How can weaker Leinster counties ever develop if they are in a "Rest of Ireland" championship system.

Why aren't some of the Ulster and Connaught teams fed into the Munster championship.
    Why is Munster so sacrosanct ? After all, barring replays, the entire championship is four games from start to finish.

I said earlier that Leinster is a catch all provincial championship.......five counties play in Munster and all the rest are positioned in a pyramid system into the Leinster system.

How can weaker Leinster counties ever develop if they are in a "Rest of Ireland" championship system.

They were brought in for 2 reasons

1) to allow both counties equal opportunity to win the all ireland and so they would not be seen to be at a disadvanage by having no provincial championship

2) to make the leinster championship more competitive and try reduce kilkennys monolopy on the championship

so prior to 2009 where kilkenny had only lost once in the previous 10 years in leinster, how did the weaker countries progress by getting annihilated every consecutive year? what purpose did it serve the team that was 1) getting hockeyed and 2) the team giving the beating? the christy ring and nicky rackard allow the weaker teams to compete at the level they are at. imo the round robin is a great system and gives the team entering the quarter final good preparation before taking on one of the stronger teams in the province

Until the weaker counties start getting their underage teams in order and compete in finals, it would serve them no purpose being destroyed in the leinster championship and they are better are in the CR or NR competitons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Munster has 5 strong teams and has always been strong. Leinster due to KKs dominance isn't. There is no point in adding teams to Munster when there is the Leinster championship which will benefit more from the addition of teams.

donnem33 wrote: »
    So, 6 years in the province, reached 3 leinster finals and won 1. In the 6 years in leinster they have only been beaten by Kilkenny and Dublin.

The leinster championship was in dire condition before they entered. It has become a more competitive province and other teams are catching up now making it very interesting indeed.

imo the minors and u21s should be in the province also. However it would meet strong objections and your attitude exemplifies it perfectly!!!

Before Galway joined Leinster, the province had one hugely dominant team which was always going to make the Leinster championship a huge mismatch. This changed somewhat with the introduction of Galway, but a lot of it was also down to the combined factors of the emergence of Dublin as a force and an older Kilkenny team that were not as dominant as in 2006-9. Re the Leinster Championship being dire, the same must have applied to the All Ireland Series as Kilkenny had 7 Liam's in 10 years.

I agree with you re the minors and u21's....if the senior team is in Leinster, so should they......and would go further by including the club sides into Leinster club title system and no further participation in the Railway Cup.......if you're in......you're in.

I just don't understand the logic of a province with 12 teams......only four of which are certainties to play in the championship, and the rest have to qualify to play in it....(if they're lucky)

Before Galway joined Leinster, the province had one hugely dominant team which was always going to make the Leinster championship a huge mismatch. This changed somewhat with the introduction of Galway, but a lot of it was also down to the combined factors of the emergence of Dublin as a force and an older Kilkenny team that were not as dominant as in 2006-9. Re the Leinster Championship being dire, the same must have applied to the All Ireland Series as Kilkenny had 7 Liam's in 10 years.

I agree with you re the minors and u21's....if the senior team is in Leinster, so should they......and would go further by including the club sides into Leinster club title system and no further participation in the Railway Cup.......if you're in......you're in.

I just don't understand the logic of a province with 12 teams......only four of which are certainties to play in the championship, and the rest have to qualify to play in it....(if they're lucky)

Even thought Kilkenny did dominate the all ireland series aswell, at least the matches were competitive. Look back on some of the margins of victory in the leinster matches, they were very lob sided affairs. Galway made it more competitive and yes dublin became more competitive at the same time, but it energised the championship and teams lifted their game. Next year is going to be very interesting with the emergence of wexford and laois making great strides.

I know what your saying in relation to some counties cant compete in their champioship which is a shame, but the reality is that they are just not good enough. They need to develop their underage teams.

Look at Dublin, they have won leinster minor and u21 championships in recent years and now their senior team is being built on those players. Yes you might argue that they received an unfair amount of money to promote their underage development but then look at Laois. They are competing in leinster finals at minor and u21 in recent years and their senior team is becoming very competitive and is very close to taking a major scalp at senior level. Laois has put in place proper structures and with good coaching, they are becoming a good team. Until the likes of wicklow, carlow etc implement underage structures and become competitive underage, it would serve them no purpose playing in the leinster championship and taking massive hammerings.

donnem33 wrote: »

so prior to 2009 where kilkenny had only lost once in the previous 10 years in leinster, how did the weaker countries progress by getting annihilated every consecutive year? what purpose did it serve the team that was 1) getting hockeyed and 2) the team giving the beating? the christy ring and nicky rackard allow the weaker teams to compete at the level they are at. imo the round robin is a great system and gives the team entering the quarter final good preparation before taking on one of the stronger teams in the province

Until the weaker counties start getting their underage teams in order and compete in finals, it would serve them no purpose being destroyed in the leinster championship and they are better are in the CR or NR competitons

Firstly, the consecutive Leinster titles for Kilkenny was a freak occurance as they had an exceptional team right at the stage time that Offaly and Wexford were at a low point.

Re the weaker counties getting their underage teams in order and compete in finals......it doesn't operate in a vacuum and if no past history as a hurling county, not easy to instil the belief its possible....and if current senior team is playing at a lower level, underage success also harder to achieve.

To make the leap from Christy Ring to Leinster qualifier means a team needs to win the Christy Ring cup plus win a playoff against a team playing in the round robin(so automatically playing at a higher standard) in order to get into next year's round robin......then following year needs to finish in top 2 to get into a Leinster quarterfinal. And that is assuming they were of a high enough standard to be in the Christy Ring Cup in the first place. That is a lot of hoops for a lesser county to get through to get near a contender.

For 2014........Kildare won the Christy Ring Cup but lost the playoff to Westmeath so are back where the started at the beginning of this year. And Kildare are not a likely candidate to win numerous Christy Rings consecutively.

While I agree that regular beatings do no county team any good......for the lesser teams there also needs to be a carrot dangled in front of them that they could be playing against a Henry Sheflin or a Joe Canning. To me the steps up to that seem to have got a lot steeper and if playing against a championship contender is unlikely for a lesser team.....they are unlikely to put in the commitment.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Flem31, you are probably gonna win the "most unpopular opinion" with that one!

The quality of Leinster hurling has actually improved since Galway and Antrim entered. Dublin have improved since 2009. You could argue Wexford have improved (based on this year only though)

And the likes of Westmeath, Laois, Carlow etc. all are getting good competitive championship games in the current format.

I really do not see any argument that would suggest Galway's involvement in Leinster should be considered detrimental to smaller teams chances.
    To make the leap from Christy Ring to Leinster qualifier means a team needs to win the Christy Ring cup plus win a playoff against a team playing in the round robin(so automatically playing at a higher standard) in order to get into next year's round robin......then following year needs to finish in top 2 to get into a Leinster quarterfinal. And that is assuming they were of a high enough standard to be in the Christy Ring Cup in the first place. That is a lot of hoops for a lesser county to get through to get near a contender.

It is absolutely correct that these teams should go through these hoops. There is a big gap in quality between Liam McCarthy & Christy Ring. If the winner of the Christy Ring cannot get through these hoops, then they are certainly not strong enough to play against teams in the Liam McCarthy.

I am a big fan of the current format and believe that it improved Laois this year.

Munster has 5 strong teams and has always been strong. Leinster due to KKs dominance isn't. There is no point in adding teams to Munster when there is the Leinster championship which will benefit more from the addition of teams.

I believe this KK dominance as the reason why Galway entered Leinster is overstated. In the 60's Tipp dominated Munster and won something like 7 Munster titles in 9 years. But did the Munster council look to get in a new team...no........more likely they told the Cork's Limerick's etc to either improve or live with the dominance.

Re Galway and entering Leinster, I think it was more to do with them previously joining at the quarterfinal stage and didn't have the safety net of losing a game and still being in the championship. That anomaly had to be rectified and using KK dominance also helped the argument.

If Galway won six or seven Leinster titles in a row.....would they be booted out of Leinster....highly unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

I believe this KK dominance as the reason why Galway entered Leinster is overstated. In the 60's Tipp dominated Munster and won something like 7 Munster titles in 9 years. But did the Munster council look to get in a new team...no........more likely they told the Cork's Limerick's etc to either improve or live with the dominance.

Re Galway and entering Leinster, I think it was more to do with them previously joining at the quarterfinal stage and didn't have the safety net of losing a game and still being in the championship. That anomaly had to be rectified and using KK dominance also helped the argument.

If Galway won six or seven Leinster titles in a row.....would they be booted out of Leinster....highly unlikely

.....eh, yes actually.

Galway competed in Munster between 1959 and 1969.

Flem31, you are probably gonna win the "most unpopular opinion" with that one!

Lol......if I was going for popularity I wouldn't have started this and had a idea before I started that this wouldn't go down well with some.......all just a good debate really, I just have a different opinion to everyone else haha.

• Advertisement
Advertisement