Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular GAA opinions you hold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Hibbeler wrote: »
    I would agree with you there but how would you police it. Are you suggesting a linesman is tasked to constantly count the no of players in each half?

I would personally be more in favour of rules to encourage attacking football rather than discourage defending. Just off the top of my head perhaps if they adopted the scoring system from the international rules it would encourage teams to get forward and shoot more?
    Why not have one linesman in each half like they do in "the foreign sport". That way they could(in theory) police no.s in their half and also all the off the ball stuff. At the moment they do shag all and usually get the one contentious line ball they have to call wrong anyway!

Pretty sure they have to name a team now by the GAA so this is prob why, cause some managers might not know the final 15 until the day
    The solution to this problem is to end the nonsense of having to name your team on the Thursday before the game.
    Have to say I find it laughable that some people think The "dummy team" issue is a massive issue-personally i like a bit of suspense in speculating if the named team will line out on the day.

[/B]

Change the football. A ball that was lighter and capable of travelling a lot further would negate much of the blanket defence problem. Those blanket defences are there to be taken anyway but it requires that the opposition commit men to the attack. Football managers love these defensive tactics as they are relatively easy to coach and don't require any great degree of skill from players. Players actions are easy to proscribe in that scenario as well whereas attacking football requires that players are allowed to play what's in front of them and more off the cuff. Football is dominated by negatitvty and cynicism. Any rule change which seeks to curb these tactics is greeted by howls of derision from the county managers and funnily enough they get their way most of the time.
    Think the problem here is how would it go in the wind-might be very difficult to kick points into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't really think the blanket defence is a problem at all. Probably an unpopular opinion in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

People only seem to complain about the dubs in croke park, trainers management staff etc etc when de dubs are winning, not a peep about it during de dubs wilderness years.

realies wrote: »
    People only seem to complain about the dubs in croke park, trainers management staff etc etc when de dubs are winning, not a peep about it during de dubs wilderness years.

That is a terrible argument that I don't think any genuine football fan advances with a straight face.

Dublin only stopped playing outside of Croke Park in 2008.

Our window to start complaining about this is basically 2009 - 2014. Since the announcement "we will no longer make Dublin play away from home in the Championship" was never made by the GAA, I would humbly suggest it is even ridiculous to expect people to notice something was particularly up before 2010.

Even if you can stand over a conviction that we all should have immediately spotted what was going on at the beginning of 2008, the fact remains that since then they have won 3 Footballer of the Year awards, 2 All Irelands, 2 National Leagues and 6 (!) Leinster Championships, all while apparently getting farther ahead of everyone else.

So yeah, fair enough, we'll wait until the neverending run of Leinster titles dries up before we start taking issue I suppose, be sure and check back here in 2030 for an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

keane2097 wrote: »
    That is a terrible argument that I don't think any genuine football fan advances with a straight face.

Dublin only stopped playing outside of Croke Park in 2008.

Our window to start complaining about this is basically 2009 - 2014. Since the announcement "we will no longer make Dublin play away from home in the Championship" was never made by the GAA, I would humbly suggest it is even ridiculous to expect people to notice something was particularly up before 2010.

Even if you can stand over a conviction that we all should have immediately spotted what was going on at the beginning of 2008, the fact remains that since then they have won 3 Footballer of the Year awards, 2 All Irelands, 2 National Leagues and 6 (!) Leinster Championships, all while apparently getting farther ahead of everyone else.

So yeah, fair enough, we'll wait until the neverending run of Leinster titles dries up before we start taking issue I suppose, be sure and check back here in 2030 for an update.

Nonsense.

When we were crushed by Meath(2010), Tyrone(twice 2005 and 2008), Kerry(2007, 2009), beaten by Mayo(2006, 2012), Cork(2010),beaten by Armagh(twice), knocked out by Laois and Westmeath.

Where were those games played?

It's a nonsense arguement used by begrudgers. And it's incredibly tiresome.

Dublin are on top because they have the best players. Where the games are played is completely irrelevant.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Nonsense.

When we were crushed by Meath(2010), Tyrone(twice 2005 and 2008), Kerry(2007, 2009), beaten by Mayo(2006, 2012), Cork(2010),beaten by Armagh(twice), knocked out by Laois and Westmeath.

Dublin are on top because they have the best players. Where the games are played is completely irrelevant.

Dublin are by a mile the best team, and I've made multiple posts all over the place about why they deserve every bit of their success and other counties have absolutely no grounds for complaints.

Dublin are the best at underage development, coaching, planning - any metric you care to mention. They have the most money, sure, but they get more out of every dollar than every other county by a mile. Successful due to being the best, the best on merit. Best team to watch too. Nothing but admiration for them. I don't think they would have won any less if they had played the odd game outside of Croke Park either, it's obviously not a deciding or even a major factor.

Having said all that, your post is lol.

The post I was responding to was complaining that no one ever complained about Dublin not playing away matches until they started winning. I noted that it wasn't physically possible to start complaining about it till 2008, and not realistically possible till 2009 at the earliest. You then mention games in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. Ok.

I wasn't complaining about Dublin having every game at home then because they didn't have every game at home then. Christ. Let's move on.
    Where the games are played is completely irrelevant.

Ok.

Dublin are brilliant, I love watching them, love their players as individuals, those I've met are absolute gents who deserve their success for being the most talented team in the land.

They should still have to play away from home sometimes, and if you disagree with that you are a fool.

Having said all that, your post is lol.

The post I was responding to was complaining that no one ever complained about Dublin not playing away matches until they started winning. I noted that it wasn't physically possible to start complaining about it till 2008, and not realistically possible till 2009 at the earliest. You then mention games in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. Ok.

I wasn't complaining about Dublin having every game at home then because they didn't have every game at home then. Christ. Let's move on.

Also 2009, 2010 and 2012. But sure cherry pick all you want.
    Dublin are brilliant, I love watching them, love their players as individuals, those I've met are absolute gents who deserve their success for being the most talented team in the land. They should still have to play away from home sometimes, and if you disagree with that you are a fool.

I don't disagree. I just think it's not a factor in our dominance. Do you really think it matters if we play cannon fodder in Leinster in Croker, Navan or Aughrim?

Like I said a few pages back, one of my fondest memories as a GAA fan is the two weekends in Thurles back in 2001.

Also 2009, 2010 and 2012. But sure cherry pick all you want.

I don't disagree. I just think it's not a factor in our dominance. Do you really think it matters if we play cannon fodder in Leinster in Croker, Navan or Aughrim?

Like I said a few pages back, one of my fondest memories as a GAA fan is the two weekends in Thurles back in 2001.

I don't think it matters in the slightest to the end result, which is why it's so frustrating to have irate, hyper-sensitive Dublin fans frothing all over the place about begrudgery and anti-Dublin bias when the undeniable fact that Dublin ought to play games away from home sometimes is brought up.

Note, in this case the point wasn't even brought up by someone making the point, someone apopos of nothing just called everyone who thinks it begrudgers out of thin air.

There's no argument to be made that Dublin should play every game at home, yet whenever it's brought up you have Dublin fans falling all over themselves to get stuck into everyone else, i.e.
    It's a nonsense arguement used by begrudgers.

It isn't an argument about anything really, it's a simple statement of an obvious fact. If people want to argue separately about what effect it would have on Dublin's winning then that's grand (I suspect none).

The point anyway I was replying to is that people could/should have been complaining about this at some point in the past when Dublin weren't winning things, I'm fairly happy I've laid out why that argument is stupid.

• Advertisement

But the simple fact is having the Dubs in Croker makes the GAA the most money and as long as that is the case nothing will change. You had 62,600 paying customers yesterday and all the GAA look at is the numbers.

I don't think they really care about fairness or facts. Nothing "irate" or "hyper-sensitive" about it. I have all the respect in the world for supporters of counties who travel 100-150 miles, spend a fortune on fuel, are up at 6am and then a long drive home, while I can get to the ground on foot in 20 minutes. It is what it is.

I'll be at Thurles on Sunday, just as I was in Wexford Park and Portlaoise last year. I'm happy to travel for the hurlers but it's simply not going to happen for the footballers.

And there is begrudgery. Just as there is for Kilkenny or any successful sports team or individual.

But the simple fact is having the Dubs in Croker makes the GAA the most money and as long as that is the case nothing will change. You had 62,600 paying customers yesterday and all the GAA look at is the numbers.

I don't think they really care about fairness or facts. Nothing "irate" or "hyper-sensitive" about it. I have all the respect in the world for supporters of counties who travel 100-150 miles, spend a fortune on fuel, are up at 6am and then a long drive home, while I can get to the ground on foot in 20 minutes. It is what it is.

I'll be at Thurles on Sunday, just as I was in Wexford Park and Portlaoise last year. I'm happy to travel for the hurlers but it's simply not going to happen for the footballers.

And there is begrudgery. Just as there is for Kilkenny or any successful sports team or individual.

The GAA was doing absolutely fine for money before 2008 and will continue to do so whether Dublin played six Championship games at Croke Park in 2015 or five in Croke Park and one in Port Laoise.

I disagree with you that it's "not going to happen" anyway, I'd be surprised if with the growing obviousness of how ludicrous the situation is we don't see Dublin playing a token away match in the early stages of Leinster next year. Entirely thanks to the groundswell of opinion in the media and amongst the public that this farcical situation has gone on about long enough.

I honestly hope you're right.

Going to Croker felt like a chore yesterday. It'd be refreshing to see us play somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

realies wrote: »

Dublin have won 9 of the past 10 Leinsters. Remind me when these wilderness years were?

If I was from Laois or Wexford or Offaly or Kildare, I'd have to think long and hard about whether I could be bothered driving to Dublin to see the team get a hiding from Dublin. Thats the way its going to be fairly soon.

And at that point, the question will be.....will 50,000 Dubs fans show up when there are no opposing fans, and the game is over after 15 minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

And how many were at games before yesterday? 52k at the Laois game which was a double header with Louth and Kildare and then 46k for the Wexford game which was a double header with Meath and Kildare. Not exactly massive crowds to be honest. The Leinster final should be in CP regardless, same as the hurling.

And I dont think anyone is saying every Dublin game has to be outside of Croke Park, but the earlier provincial games should definitely be in consideration for moving to provincial grounds rather than automatically be in CP every time.

its far from begrudgery on my part. I actually think we could be witnessing one of the best football teams for quite a while. I just dont see why they should be automatically be in CP for every game and have that experience before any other provincial team gets there for knockout.

and to be honest, most Dublin supporters seem to agree with it too, and say they'd be happy to play elsewhere, so I dont see why they get so defensive when people from other counties rationally say the same thing. I do understand getting defensive when people talk rubbish about them leaving Croke Park, but not like the way Keane points it out above.

Preaching to the choir here!

52k is still better then 15-20k in some other ground in Leinster.

I'm simply being pragmatic about it. The GAA won't do fuuck all as long as that cash cow can be milked. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I honestly hope you're right.

Going to Croker felt like a chore yesterday. It'd be refreshing to see us play somewhere else.

Too many games in general played in Croke Park at this stage by a mile never mind Dublin. It's lost it's lustre massively.

Whenever any former player is asked you get the "players want to play big games in Croke Park" spiel which is so hackneyed at this stage it's long past sounding like "players are used to playing big games in Croke Park".

The hurling the last year or two has shown what great occasions you can have when you put big games on in a packed Nowlan Park or Semple.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Preaching to the choir here!

52k is still better then 15-20k in some other ground in Leinster.

I'm simply being pragmatic about it. The GAA won't do fuuck all as long as that cash cow can be milked. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

yeah but 20k x 2 in some other ground in Leinster would bring in similar revenue than opening up Croke Park. If Dublin were filling CP with 60k+ crowds on single games then yeah, the Leinster council would have an argument, but as it stands, I dont think the attendance for double headers justifies keeping all games there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I would disagree with that statement. The reality is the leinster teams might not be cannon fodder outside croke park. Similarly, monaghan in the quarter final might not be cannon fodder either. I will give you an example of the Mayo - Roscommon game this year. Of course mayo, man for man were a better team, like Dublin were with their opponents. But on the day, Roscommon were at home on a tight narrow pitch, they got behind the ball, they didn't cut the grass, the weather was brutal, they had a good home crowd behind them, they came in with a plan and it very nearly worked. If mayo played them in croke park they would beat them comfortably I believe. It shows that on a given day, the best team might not always win, and if other teams have to face that, then so should Dublin.

Also, to play in front of a massive partisan crowd is an advantage - there are several studies that prove this.

I would disagree with that statement. The reality is the leinster teams might not be cannon fodder outside croke park. Similarly, monaghan in the quarter final might not be cannon fodder either. I will give you an example of the Mayo - Roscommon game this year. Of course mayo, man for man were a better team, like Dublin were with their opponents. But on the day, Roscommon were at home on a tight narrow pitch, they got behind the ball, they didn't cut the grass, the weather was brutal, they had a good home crowd behind them, they came in with a plan and it very nearly worked. If mayo played them in croke park they would beat them comfortably I believe. It shows that on a given day, the best team might not always win, and if other teams have to face that, then so should Dublin.

Also, to play in front of a massive partisan crowd is an advantage - there are several studies that prove this.

A fair argument.

However Mayo played very poorly that day and won regardless.

And Dublin would bring a huge following anywhere imo, so the partisan crowd factor would be negated.

Monaghan absolutely won't be cannon fodder, but if Donegal can kick 15 points, what will Dublin do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

The reality is the leinster teams might not be cannon fodder outside croke park.

Prior to 2002 or whenever the changeover happened and Dublin played several leinster matches around the province each year the record will show that dublin were winning those matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

But do you not think the environment in which mayo found themselves was an attribute in their overall performance? To me, it obviously was. As I said, if mayo got them in croke park they would have had more space to open them up. Who is to say Dublin would play that well on that sort of pitch under those sort of conditions?
    To say they won regardless is nonsense, they scraped by in the dying minutes against a team they are far superior to. To ignore that is foolish.

Also, Hyde park can only hold so many, just like a lot of grounds, so Dublin wouldn't be able to pack it out. You see it all the time across many sports. Big teams getting caught out in the FA cup in England for example. Could you see some minnow knocking man utd out if they played all their games at old Trafford?

A fair argument.

However Mayo played very poorly that day and won regardless.

And Dublin would bring a huge following anywhere imo, so the partisan crowd factor would be negated.

Monaghan absolutely won't be cannon fodder, but if Donegal can kick 15 points, what will Dublin do?

I'd be surprised if either team got within 8 points of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

I ppropose that all inter county minor and u21 teams should be restricted to 1 training or match a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

keep going wrote: »
    I ppropose that all inter county minor and u21 teams should be restricted to 1 training or match a week

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Couldn't agree more. Also Dublin's players do not have to travel and have a set routine with Croke Park. The surface also suits their game perfect.

It's not begrudgery but fact and it's a huge advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Not that I disagree majorly with your point, but the Hyde is most definitely NOT tight or narrow. It's one of the bigger pitches out there.

As for not cutting the grass, are you serious? It's not a putting green, yet you're making it sound like ye had to go searching for a ball in a thigh high meadow.

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Why?

Players are being pulled and hauled by all the different teams they are involved in at that age.a good minor is probaly playing schools, minor club, u21 club, adult club, county training 3 nights a week.do they need to get fit at that age-very litttle will do and if all county's implemented it there would be no differences.whats ridiculous is expecting their bodies and their minds to put up with it.oh yeah these intercounty managers want to develope them with top class training-rubbish the minute they see some fella performing well in the club championship they will parachute them in if it suits them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Radical way to try help with burnout but will never and shouldn't happen.
    Ridiculous.
    Would add bit more than just say ridiculous. It would seriously help with burnout if implemented but never will be
    Players are being pulled and hauled by all the different teams they are involved in at that age.a good minor is probaly playing schools, minor club, u21 club, adult club, county training 3 nights a week.do they need to get fit at that age-very little will do and if all county's implemented it there would be no differences.whats ridiculous is expecting their bodies and their minds to put up with it.oh yeah these intercounty managers want to develope them with top class training-rubbish the minute they see some fella performing well in the club championship they will parachute them in if it suits them
    Players are being pulled and dragged by all different teams but that's where a good club and proper system comes into play. A good minor shouldn't be expected to play for all these teams and shouldn't be let either.

Nonsense.

To say playin at home in front of a large vociferous home support shows a total ignorance and lack of understanding of all sport. Go look up the statistics for gaelic football, soccer, rugby, hurling etc etc and see if home advantage is not statistically signifigant- ill save you the bother-its a big factor,not the only one or the biggest but it is quite important.

I don't really think the blanket defence is a problem at all. Probably an unpopular opinion in itself.
    Have you always thought that or are you part of the herd that cried like babies when Donegal did it to dublin in '11 and now are saying that every team should play like that against dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Connacht football is nowhere near as bad as Munster or Leinster. Fair enough, Mayo have done 4 in a row but it's considerably the best team they've had in a generation. They've played 4 different opponents in those 4 finals and only 2 of those have been comprehensive victories, prior to that no team had won successive titles in about 10 years and there have been 4 winners in the past ten years. I expect the Connacht title to go to Roscommon or Galway (provided they are under new management) next year, but I find it very difficult to see Dublin not winning Leinster and Cork or Kerry not winning Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Connacht football is nowhere near as bad as Munster or Leinster. Fair enough, Mayo have done 4 in a row but it's considerably the best team they've had in a generation. They've played 4 different opponents in those 4 finals and only 2 of those have been comprehensive victories, prior to that no team had won successive titles in about 10 years and there have been 4 winners in the past ten years. I expect the Connacht title to go to Roscommon or Galway (provided they are under new management) next year, but I find it very difficult to see Dublin not winning Leinster and Cork or Kerry not winning Munster.

Mayo are ten zillion miles ahead of anybody else in Connacht at the moment. You could argue that they were 'lucky' to beat Roscommon but they still won while not playing well. They were never in danger of losing to Galway and were out of sight by half time.

There isnt much between Galway, Ros & Sligo. But Mayo are on a completely different level. Just like Dublin are on a different level to everybody in Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Roscommon and Galway are showing promise but they are still on a similar level to the likes of Meath and Kildare and not likely to improve that much ahead of them. I think it might be fair to say that Mayo have reached a peak or plateau but Dublin with their resources are only going to get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Players are being pulled and hauled by all the different teams they are involved in at that age.a good minor is probaly playing schools, minor club, u21 club, adult club, county training 3 nights a week.do they need to get fit at that age-very litttle will do and if all county's implemented it there would be no differences.whats ridiculous is expecting their bodies and their minds to put up with it.oh yeah these intercounty managers want to develope them with top class training-rubbish the minute they see some fella performing well in the club championship they will parachute them in if it suits them

Fair enough I see your point and you're probably right.

Something does need to be done as regards the amount of games some of the top young players play. I know a young lad very well who not too long ago would have been in a position at some stages of having training and or a match every day of the week between county minors, club intermediate team and a schools team which reached an all Ireland final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Easily sorted
    Put a limit on the number of games a player can play in per year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Mayo are ten zillion miles ahead of anybody else in Connacht at the moment. You could argue that they were 'lucky' to beat Roscommon but they still won while not playing well. They were never in danger of losing to Galway and were out of sight by half time.

There isnt much between Galway, Ros & Sligo. But Mayo are on a completely different level. Just like Dublin are on a different level to everybody in Leinster.

Agree totally. The Roscommon match is being taken out of context a lot too- in that it's being suggest Mayo struggled. They found it tough but more as a result of things they weren't doing.

They are out on their own in Connaught and by quite a way.

harpsman wrote: »
    Have you always thought that or are you part of the herd that cried like babies when Donegal did it to dublin in '11 and now are saying that every team should play like that against dublin

You've lost me. There's enough people like that to make up a herd?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Easily sorted
    Put a limit on the number of games a player can play in per year!

a limit on the number of training sessions and matches per fortnight would work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Without Conor McManus, Monaghan are ordinary enough. Meath will regroup beat Armagh by 5 or 6 and run Donegal close maybe a draw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    a limit on the number of training sessions and matches per fortnight would work better.

Impossible to police training sessions.

However if an underage player is only allowed to play in 35/40 games per year then he will be used more sparingly so that he will be available for games later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

GAA is going the way of soccer, with its win at all costs attitude.

Last example, what looked like a clear biting incident being defended by his team.

However if an underage player is only allowed to play in 35/40 games per year then he will be used more sparingly so that he will be available for games later in the year.

Yes but what games are going to be sacrificed, why should any minor be playing adult football, no matter how badly off a club is there are always lads that would play or stay playing but its easier to pick the good young fella that the average older player who usually re tires early because he sees no future fir himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

So, if they do play him and he helps them get to a county final, then it's tough **** kid, you've had your limit of games for the year. And if they don't play him and they get knocked out (which is always more likely than not what will happen to most teams every year), the manager gets it in the neck for not playing him. It doesn't make sense as a proposal, and punishes smaller clubs with smaller picks, and gives yet another helping hand to massive clubs with lots of resources on the bench.

The idea of making players stick to their age groups makes much more sense. When you're u-16, you should only play u-16, and at the very least, nobody should play adult before they're 18. This still hands the advantage to the bigger clubs to some extent but at the very least it avoids burnout issues and ends the exploitation of younger talented players by short-sighted senior managers with no interest or care for the long-term sporting career of the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Aidan Walsh completely overrated in hurling and football for Cork. Hes not half the player he is made out to be. Good athlete but thats it. Very little skill in both games but his height fitness and strength get him through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Drug use potentially seeping into the GAA. Some senior intercounty teams clearly very significantly stronger and fitter than others. No blood testing means that Human Growth hormone and annaobolic steroids can be used with impunity. EPO and CERA with half lives of 4 hours can easily be used as testing only carried out at matches and training sessions (no random tests). Only minor financial sanctions against teams who are not at training sessions they are supposed to be at when testers show.

T runner wrote: »
    Drug use potentially seeping into the GAA. Some senior intercounty teams clearly very significantly stronger and fitter than others. No blood testing means that Human Growth hormone and annaobolic steroids can be used with impunity. EPO and CERA with half lives of 4 hours can easily be used as testing only carried out at matches and training sessions (no random tests). Only minor financial sanctions against teams who are not at training sessions they are supposed to be at when testers show.

I'd be shocked if it was even a new thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

<SNIP> Trolling

Advertisement