Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular GAA opinions you hold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Stoner wrote: »
    Funny enough I remember those league games too. The rivalry between Kildare and Dublin was through the roof. It was great stuff. I remember when Dublin beat Kildare and won the league Paddy Cullen was the manager, Dave Foran kept comming off the bench for Dublin in those years he was a super sub for Dublin VS Kildare many many times, or maybe it was just once its a bit fuzzy now.

On 10 years I'll exaggerate it even more.

To this day I still love the league Dublin 1–9 Kildare 0–10 1990 91 was the first time i was at a game when we won some silverware,

The Dubs really loved getting one over on Micko after all the pain they had endured at his team's hands in the 80s. I remember a drawn league match in Newbridge when him and Pat O'Neill had a right go at one another on the line. There was also a challenge match in Allenwood one evening which was a fairly feisty encounter to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The Dubs really loved getting one over on Micko after all the pain they had endured at his team's hands in the 80s. I remember a drawn league match in Newbridge when him and Pat O'Neill had a right go at one another on the line. There was also a challenge match in Allenwood one evening which was a fairly feisty encounter to say the least!

For all the good it did Dublin back then!
    It was only when Dublin got two quiet managers who didn't hog the limelight that they've really fulfilled the county's potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    For all the good it did Dublin back then!
    It was only when Dublin got two quiet managers who didn't hog the limelight that they've really fulfilled the county's potential.

As manager Pat O'Neill won the All-Ireland with Dublin in 1995.
    He retired straight afterwards.
    I would describe him as a quiet man and definitely not a limelight seeker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Amprodude wrote: »
    It is an unpopular opinion thread after all and its an opinion i hold and wont change until Limerick win AI.

He who laughs last laughs longest, as I have been telling you all along, this great all-conquering (as you see them) Cork team have achieved exactly as much as the unproven and underrated (as you see them) Limerick team have.

One Munster, no All-Ireland's and a very underwhelming semi final performance each following a Munster final win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

He who laughs last laughs longest, as I have been telling you all along, this great all-conquering (as you see them) Cork team have achieved exactly as much as the unproven and underrated (as you see them) Limerick team have.

One Munster, no All-Ireland's and a very underwhelming semi final performance each following a Munster final win.

When did Limerick last win AI?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

When did Limerick last win AI?

Alright, let's not start this again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

For all the hype this year's hurling championship has been mediocre at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

was at the game today, there was great excitement before the game the 5min into the second half it was a done deal. hopefully the final will be good.
    overall its been poor enough this year games that I thought would be good were a bit flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The Kilkenny backs will eat those Tipp forwards

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

That gaa is for the lower classes primarily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

That gaa is for the lower classes primarily

Yaaaay, a class argument.

The blackrock elite and soggy biscuit brigade of Protestant boarding schools can have their rugger bugger and cricket.

The rest of us normal folk will stick to the GAA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

The blackrock elite and soggy biscuit brigade of Protestant boarding schools can have their rugger bugger and cricket.

Only messing. I'm a follower

I'm disgusted at the attitude you speak of and I have come to found through work that it really does exist

Only messing. I'm a follower

I'm disgusted at the attitude you speak of and I have come to found through work that it really does exist

It's a strange one really. It's always transcended social classes in that respect for me, everyone in the community mucks in. Whether that is the Doctor, the farmer, the priest or the teacher it doesn't matter.

Obviously there is a tangible cultural split in certain areas given it's a nationalist organisation and what have you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There are more alumni of Blackrock College in the Dubs starting 15, than there are in the Leinster team. Fact. What does that make them then? Abnormal? :confused:

ProudDUB wrote: »
    There are more alumni of Blackrock College in the Dubs starting 15, than there are in the Leinster team. Fact. What does that make them then? Abnormal? :confused:

Wealthy, I'd have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wealthy, abnormal lads then. Ok so. Got it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

For all the hype this year's hurling championship has been mediocre at best.

That's just because Tipp and Kilkenny have ended up in the final. Neither semi final was good last year either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

That's just because Tipp and Kilkenny have ended up in the final. Neither semi final was good last year either

Ah now Cork v Dublin was unreal last year!

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    The Kilkenny backs will eat those Tipp forwards

The Tipp backs will eat those Kilkenny forwards

Ah now Cork v Dublin was unreal last year!

I preferred Limerick Kilkenny this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Kerry's bench is as good as Dublin's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Kerry's bench is as good as Dublin's

Ah that's only coz yer counting The Gooch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Ah that's only coz yer counting The Gooch ;)

Jaysus forgot about him !! :eek:

Kerry for Sam 2015 should be a banker with this fella on board as well

inpho_00369527.jpg

Balls ! come to think of it with Walsh & Cooper back the GAA will surly be cutting funding to Kerry,Proposing splitting the county and sending us on the road for quarter finals ;)

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Jaysus forgot about him !! :eek:

Kerry for Sam 2015 should be a banker with this fella on board as well

inpho_00369527.jpg

Balls ! come to think of it with Walsh & Cooper back the GAA will surly be cutting funding to Kerry,Proposing splitting the county and sending us on the road for quarter finals ;)

His career in afl is done so he be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't think Martin McHugh recent statement about Gooch and O'Donoghue was as outrageous a statement as the subsequent furore warranted. Yes O'Donoghue's career is really only in the embryonic stages, but on supporting cast alone the Gooch came into a team that was capable of reaching every AI final between 04 and 09, winning 4, and had modern day greats such as Tomas and Dara O'Se, Moynihan, McCarthy, Tom O'Sullivan, and with Declan, Galvin and Donaghy at the peak of their powers. No-one bar the staunchest Kerry supporter would class the current crop as the finished article despite being a game away from another final. Very much a team in rebuilding mode. So in that regard, it is a valid arguement that O'donoghue has had a more stellar start to his intercounty career.

But they're both great players, and this mad rush to rate one player over another is annoying in every sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

I don't think Martin McHugh recent statement about Gooch and O'Donoghue was as outrageous a statement as the subsequent furore warranted. Yes O'Donoghue's career is really only in the embryonic stages, but on supporting cast alone the Gooch came into a team that was capable of reaching every AI final between 04 and 09, winning 4, and had modern day greats such as Tomas and Dara O'Se, Moynihan, McCarthy, Tom O'Sullivan, and with Declan, Galvin and Donaghy at the peak of their powers. No-one bar the staunchest Kerry supporter would class the current crop as the finished article despite being a game away from another final. Very much a team in rebuilding mode. So in that regard, it is a valid arguement that O'donoghue has had a more stellar start to his intercounty career.

But they're both great players, and this mad rush to rate one player over another is annoying in every sport.

I think the furore was more over the "two trick pony" remark. Which deserved ridicule, especially since he didn't expand on what those two tricks actually were.

It had all the hallmarks of a Spillane-ism, just say anything to get attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

The Tipp backs will eat those Kilkenny forwards

Has Suarez been taking the training lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Yeah but O'Donoghue is 24. Cooper was an all-star at 19 (18 when the year started) so don't see how O'Donoghue's career has had a more stellar start, he was just about breaking in as a sub at the age of 21 in 2011.

Classy footballer, but the Gooch has been an incredible footballer since the off.

JOD wouldnt lace Goochs boots and we will see this Sunday even after Kerry beat Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

The current Dublin team are well overhyped. I agree that they are fcuking brilliant but there is no way in hell that they are a 1/10 shot to beat Donegal.... 1/10 equates to a 90% chance, thats ridiculous! I expect that they will win but its a more 70-30 kind of a game rather than a 90-10!

Nobody has really given Dublin a good game yet and I think its partly down to these teams probably giving them too much respect. Donegal/Kerry/Mayo wont fear Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

91% chance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

megadodge wrote: »
    I think the furore was more over the "two trick pony" remark. Which deserved ridicule, especially since he didn't expand on what those two tricks actually were.

Really doesn't need confirming but a year ago this is what he had to say about Cooper. 25 secs in.

Mayo wont perform on sunday and Kerry will run riot and destroy them. Horan will be gone tomorrow and so will Mayo. Dublin Kerry Final.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mayo wont perform on sunday and Kerry will run riot and destroy them. Horan will be gone tomorrow and so will Mayo. Dublin Kerry Final.

In fairness to Mayo they usually save the non performance for the final. That's why losing to them in the semi can be a bitter pill, in 2006 they deserved to beat the Dubs, but when I was leaving and congratulating the Mayo fans the feeling around was that they wouldn't give Kerry a game and it proved true.

They did a little better in 2012 after another tight semi final win over the dubs, but again the final nerves got to them and they started terribly.

I'd expect them to perform ok and not be too wary of Kerry or for their heads to go down early if they ship a few points. Kerry will need to perform to their very best to beat them I think and if the defence can keep they relatively quiet they have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hardly an "unpopular" opinion.
    Everyone knows that Mayo are afraid of Kerry.
    Everyone knows Kerry are a different animal in Croke Park.
    Everyone knows that Mayo don't have a marquee forward.
    Everyone knows that JOD is brilliant.
    Everyone knows that Kerry have a strong bench.
    Sure didn't Kerry beat Cork by 12, and Mayo only beat them by one.
    Everyone knows that Dublin will beat Donegal.
    And everyone knows that Mayo are bottlers and chokers, sure didn't Larry Tompkins tell us last week.

Try harder to come up with an "unpopular" opinion next time.

citykat wrote: »
    Has Suarez been taking the training lately?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

copacetic wrote: »
    In fairness to Mayo they usually save the non performance for the final. That's why losing to them in the semi can be a bitter pill, in 2006 they deserved to beat the Dubs, but when I was leaving and congratulating the Mayo fans the feeling around was that they wouldn't give Kerry a game and it proved true.

That 2006 Dublin team would have gotten horsed by Kerry as well - no point in pretending otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Ciaran whelan is by far the best analyst on the Sunday game.

Brolly is occassionly entertaining but is a hapless analyst.

megadodge wrote: »

Best thing about that I read was on Boards and somebody asking were the two tricks - Score loads and create loads?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Cork won the double in 1990 - 24 years ago

Since then they've only won 3 Hurling and 1 football.
    Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk.

Your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Your point?

Cork GAA is not as hot as they like to make out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

I'd suggest the fact that they're the only county to win both a hurling and football All Ireland in this time means that they are to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

if im not mistaken, arent kerry and kilkenny the only counties to have more all irelands in that period? a few on 3, tipp, clare, dublin & tyrone but if being the third most successful county and the only one to win both codes makes them the poor relations.....

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Referees should apply the rules of the game - can't get a more unpopular opinion that that.

Example - punishment for a kick or attempted kick is a red card. Commentators, analysts, journalists unanimous that Lee Keegan shouldn't have walked last Sunday with mealy mouthed comments that well technically it was a kick, the game hasn't been dirty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Iecrawfc

The GAA decision making process with congress is way too democratic, it stalls change and causes any meaningful reform to be watered down and compromised too much to make any real difference, for instance disciplinary reform in football especially has taken years to get through with various iterations of sin bins, black cards etc. provincial and county interests are holding back any reform of championship structures, there should be one decision making body in the GAA sitting above county and provincial interests as all county's have their own interests not the greater interest if the games at heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

curioser wrote: »
    Referees should apply the rules of the game - can't get a more unpopular opinion that that.

Example - punishment for a kick or attempted kick is a red card. Commentators, analysts, journalists unanimous that Lee Keegan shouldn't have walked last Sunday with mealy mouthed comments that well technically it was a kick, the game hasn't been dirty.

If you just change it to "apply the rules of the game consistently" then it's no longer an unpopular opinion. However the haphazard and seemingly selective approach is what pisses people off.

To be fair - you have a lad who's about 15 years older than the average age of the 30 players he's chasing round the pitch, that in itself is a tough ask.
    Maybe time to take a leaf out of the Aussie rules book and add a second or third "field umpire".
    Might make far too much sense for the current administration though.

Some counties have nothing won in that time and Cork are only county to win AI in both codes in that time.. Jealous much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Blackjack wrote: »
    If you just change it to "apply the rules of the game consistently" then it's no longer an unpopular opinion. However the haphazard and seemingly selective approach is what pisses people off.

I'd agree but there's also a big problem with pundits/fans and what they want.

How often do you see pundits saying "technically it was a red but the referee should have used common sense" and then the very next week for a similar incident here them say "by the letter of the law he should have gone".

You can have a "letter of the law" approach or a "common sense" approach but you can't have both. They're incompatible.

It's up to congress/refs/pundits to decide which they want because it is getting a little silly at them moment which each referee seemingly having a different view on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Figsy32 wrote: »
    I'd agree but there's also a big problem with pundits/fans and what they want.

How often do you see pundits saying "technically it was a red but the referee should have used common sense" and then the very next week for a similar incident here them say "by the letter of the law he should have gone".

You can have a "letter of the law" approach or a "common sense" approach but you can't have both. They're incompatible.

It's up to congress/refs/pundits to decide which they want because it is getting a little silly at them moment which each referee seemingly having a different view on the matter.
    TBH the administration of the rules by referees has been a pet moan of mine for years.

Another one I've always hated is the mantra "neither team deserved to lose that", facilitated by generations of referees engineering draws, particularly in championship games, tho' this has become less frequent since referees now have to announce the approximate additional time to be played. We now see less championship games ending with one point margins, which would have been inconceivable not so long ago. I've always thought the team that is ahead at the end of the allotted playing time deserves to win.

In fact, if Pat McEneaney had not been of the "neither team deserved to lose" persuasion, Mayo would not be still moaning about not having won a senior All Ireland since 1951 as they would have deservedly beaten Meath in 1996.

• Advertisement
Advertisement