Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cheeses can I use with potato dauphinoise?

Options
  • 12-06-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

All recipes suggest gruyére but it's quite expensive and I'll be making potato dauphinoise several times this week. I tried cheddar with it before but it separated (tasted good though!). I have some gouda, will that work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Post the recipe, I've never heard of cheese in a dauphinoise

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

duploelabs wrote: »
    Post the recipe, I've never heard of cheese in a dauphinoise
    Lots of recipes on the net suggest a sprinkling of grated Gruyère on the top. A 'proper' dauphinoise doesn't have it, admittedly, but it does no harm, and in my humble opinion tastes good too. You don't want to overdo it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

http://www.food.com/recipe/classic-bistro-style-gratin-dauphinoise-french-gratin-potatoes-248268

That's the recipe there. I find it quite plain with no cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

rawn wrote: »

Two points spring out on this recipe.
    The potatoes will soak up more seasoning than you'd expect (the same applies with working with beans) so you need to over compensate for this.
    Secondly, for the 5th stage, put the heat under the pan as low as possible and take as long as you can to heat up the milk/cream. The longer this process takes the more flavour you'll leech from the thyme and garlic, also think about adding some more robust herbs to it, a twig of rosemary and a bay leaf or two would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

duploelabs wrote: »
    Two points spring out on this recipe.
    The potatoes will soak up more seasoning than you'd expect (the same applies with working with beans) so you need to over compensate for this.
    Secondly, for the 5th stage, put the heat under the pan as low as possible and take as long as you can to heat up the milk/cream. The longer this process takes the more flavour you'll leech from the thyme and garlic, also think about adding some more robust herbs to it, a twig of rosemary and a bay leaf or two would be great

Great advice, thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement