Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Loaf Rock, Ballinagee, Wicklow Gap

• 12-06-2014 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Here's a long shot for any history buffs out there and I know there's a few who look in here :)

I'm reliably informed that there was a large rock called The Loaf and maybe also known as the Hanging Rock, the size of a large van or a small lorry even, that lay on the Wicklow Gap road travelling from Hollywood to the Gap. It was located about 400 metres east of Ballinagee Bridge or about 200 metres past the turn to 'Oakwood Hostel', formerly Farrington's. The rock was said to overhang the road to some extent and was very obvious. See the attached map extract which shows location.

This Wicklow Gap road was likely widened at some stage in the 1960s or 70s? The rock was either removed across the road and/or blasted at this stage it seems likely.

Does anyone have any other info on what must have been a significant feature for people travelling this road which would have been well used? I'd be surprised if there isn't a photo or sketch of it somewhere, which I'd very much like to see. Any help or leads appreciated. Some prov enquiries made to Wicklow CoCo but I'm not expecting that they kept records of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Can't help you with any specifics but if the date of removal is 60s/70s, that would coincide with the construction of Turlough Hill. Possibly it was removed to facilitate movement of plant and equipment onto the site. Maybe worth contacting the ESB to see if they have records?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Probably worth having a word with some of the locals, maybe some of the older residents of Glenbride?

Also, talking of house sized rocks, there's plenty of those over the other side in the valley between the Glenmacnass River and Barnacullian.

BTW Barry, what map is that from? I can't see any sign of it on any of the online OSi historical maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Alun wrote: »
    Probably worth having a word with some of the locals, maybe some of the older residents of Glenbride?

BTW Barry, what map is that from? I can't see any sign of it on any of the online OSi historical maps.

Thanks Alun, the info above on the rock came from local sources and further enquiries may turn up more but I don't think they would have been likely to take photos etc!

There were several editions of the OS 6 inch and this comes from a later print, dated 1911 but that's no guide as to when it was surveyed. The online 6 inch versions are from 1st editions dating from approx 1829 to 1842 as far as I know. The 1:2500 came out in later decades and involved resurvey but doesn't cover hill districts.

But I reckon this rock was likely photographed by tourists etc. The odd thing is that Price doesn't mention it per se and he must have driven past it from time to time.

Checked again re description: a big rounded boulder you'd have difficulty getting up on, about 10ft high, undercut by sheep sheltering. Says road was notoriously rough in early 1900s, a real challenge to get to the gap, blasted and improved around 1940, then resurfaced in late 1950s/ early 60s which is when The Loaf disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I've made a few further enquiries and this rock known as The Loaf is well remembered in the Kings River valley. The council are said to have blasted it when they were widening the road, perhaps in the 1960s. I thought that perhaps it was overhanging the road itself and a danger to passing traffic but apparently it was a little set back from the road, at least 20ft and didn't pose a threat to the road. So it seems more likely that it was blown up to provide road making materials. Described as size of a small lorry (think 1950s lorry) it was a substantial lump of granite.

So if anyone ever sees a photo of what must have been a striking feature, I'd love to see it.

Advertisement