Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing Riffs over video, what equipment do we need?

• 12-06-2014 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

So...lately, a friend and I have been watching the anime Monster whenever we meet up, and having a good laugh riffing while watching. Obviously the topic of recording this came up, so here I am asking the interwebz exactly what equipment we need to do it? Any recommendations?
    In terms of computers, both of us are sorted - I have a high end gaming rig I built, using an ROG Xonar Phoebus sound card, while the friend has a high end gaming laptop with 7.1 audio jacks. I'm thinking we might need an audio mixer of some kind - something that can pick up the audio from the show, split it to two sets of headphones, while picking up a signal from a high grade microphone, then combining the microphone and show audio into a single audio signal for the computer to pick up through the Line In jack.
    Can anyone recommend such a device? Also a decent microphone to use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you are playing the video from a PC then it should be relatively easy to record the audio at the same time and also superimpose the voices in the recorded audio .... even use separate channels and do a proper balanced mix later.
    The video could be extracted (without audio) from the file and the new audio mix muxed back in with it .... the result would be a video whose audio channel included the original audio plus the voices.

Is that what you want to achieve? If so then I would regard it as almost completely software managed, except for the use of reasonable MICs ..... BT headsets could be used, hardly much need for anything more 'professional' (if I am reading your intent correctly).

Audacity should be capable of handling the audio recording and mixing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

If you are playing the video from a PC then it should be relatively easy to record the audio at the same time and also superimpose the voices in the recorded audio .... even use separate channels and do a proper balanced mix later.
    The video could be extracted (without audio) from the file and the new audio mix muxed back in with it .... the result would be a video whose audio channel included the original audio plus the voices.

Is that what you want to achieve? If so then I would regard it as almost completely software managed, except for the use of reasonable MICs ..... BT headsets could be used, hardly much need for anything more 'professional' (if I am reading your intent correctly).

Audacity should be capable of handling the audio recording and mixing etc.

Thanks. I of course started thinking of the more complicated route instead of the simpler one. Are there any microphones you recommend? Also, is BT headset a bluetooth headset? If so...why? I could just get a splitter cable.

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Thanks. I of course started thinking of the more complicated route instead of the simpler one. Are there any microphones you recommend? Also, is BT headset a bluetooth headset? If so...why? I could just get a splitter cable.

I said a BT headset 'could' be used, and yes Bluetooth ;)

Either way I would recommend a 'digital' MIC to reduce the possibility of any noise on the MIC input channel.

I dunno what you had in mind when you mentioned a 'splitter cable' - splitter cable for what?

I said a BT headset 'could' be used, and yes Bluetooth ;)

Either way I would recommend a 'digital' MIC to reduce the possibility of any noise on the MIC input channel.

I dunno what you had in mind when you mentioned a 'splitter cable' - splitter cable for what?

Splitter cable for the headsets - like here.
    So that the friend and I can listen to the show without us recording the show's audio along with our voices.

Splitter cable for the headsets - like here.
    So that the friend and I can listen to the show without us recording the show's audio along with our voices.

So you want to record your voices only and not record the show's audio?

Does that splitter connect the MICs or Headphone Speakers?

I have no idea as I have never used one.

Seems you now have a means of doing what you need ....

• Advertisement

So you want to record your voices only and not record the show's audio?

Does that splitter connect the MICs or Headphone Speakers?

I have no idea as I have never used one.

Seems you now have a means of doing what you need ....

The splitter allows two headsets to listen to audio coming from one audio out port from a device. Haven't used it before myself, but it's easy enough to understand.
    As for microphone, I am thinking of getting a nice decent one, but I'm still looking for recommendations - the only experience I have with microphones is what comes with my gaming headsets. I want one that both I and my friend can use at the same time, situated equidistant between us.

And yes, I just want to record our voice audio - we listen to episode audio on headphones, microphone picks up our voices but not episode audio. We then extract the audio from the video file, then as you said put the audio back in with our voices over it all as a single audio track.

The splitter allows two headsets to listen to audio coming from one audio out port from a device. Haven't used it before myself, but it's easy enough to understand.
    As for microphone, I am thinking of getting a nice decent one, but I'm still looking for recommendations - the only experience I have with microphones is what comes with my gaming headsets. I want one that both I and my friend can use at the same time, situated equidistant between us.

And yes, I just want to record our voice audio - we listen to episode audio on headphones, microphone picks up our voices but not episode audio. We then extract the audio from the video file, then as you said put the audio back in with our voices over it all as a single audio track.

I would advise using a 'digital' MIC as I mentioned ...... this reduces the possibility of any analogue noise being introduced by circuitry on the sound card.
    Such MICs can be plugged into USB ports or are often part of headsets which are wireless or BT.

Advertisement