Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Economy

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

If someone's on the dole and gets the very odd nixer every few weeks while looking for full-time work the whole time, fair play to them - pretty miserable to begrudge them that. They'd get grief for sitting on their asses and not doing that nixer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

Coat22 wrote: »
    Right - anoybody on this board thats not a student?
    Valetta wrote: »
    [It took me approx. 5 seconds to find the above link.QUOTE]

Well done you - of course I can do it myself (who's to say I haven't) but I am talking about a public awarness campaign. Make it clear to Bill & Betty who are struggling to pay water charges etc that actually is partly because Steve, the lovely lad from next door who does all his jobs for cash isn’t paying his way. Make it as socially unacceptable for lads who are known to be on dole turing up for a few pints in their work close as it now is for them to then hop in the car and drive home locked.

The Germans (who some reason we try not to be like) would sell their own mother up the river if they thought it meant they were paying more in tax because she was avoiding it. We should be doing the same rather than just complaining about water/property/bin/tv charges.
    who in their right mind would want to be like the Germans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

A cashless society would remove the black economy. Would be interesting to live in as a PAYE worker or above board self employed.

That's what caused the black economy, people are cashless due to the destruction of or country by the fat cats with 2/3/4/5 pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

JC01 wrote: »
    I'd take serious issue with this. Hypotethically speaking, if I worked 40+ hours a week and payed ludicrous taxes on my earnings each and every week (as I do) then what the hell gives this wonderful country of ours the right to take half of what I earn by spending a Friday night freezing under a neighbours car for an effective rate of 5e per hour?

And not only that but then to be told that I am as bad as a dole swindler or a common bag snatcher for my efforts?

It is nobody's business what I do with my spare time. If I choose to use it to put in the graft and make myself a few extra euro than that's my right. Perhaps you would prefer I jack the job, sell the house and sign on? Sure il have a new house handed to me in no time along with a medical card and the rest all thanks to that sap working away paying his taxes.

Unfortunatly we don't live in some utopia that Sinn Fein would have us beleive where tax is collected for the good of every citizen. Taxes are pissed away left right and centre by incompetent fools in government and end up being used to house, clothe and feed the dredges of society who copped on many moons ago that this is not a country that rewards hard work. So no thank you id be inclined to keep my extra 30e and spend it on my own family.

Completely agree with you in terms of how tax money is pissed away frivolously without any real accountability and I’m not talking about a mechanic doing an odd job here and there BUT I and many thousands like me also work Friday nights (and about one in every six weekends) for NO pay as I am a salaried worker. IF things go really well, the business does well and I get noticed by my boss I might get a bonus for my efforts (which effectively is pay for all the unpaid overtime). I pay 52% tax on every penny of this. Exact same as your nixxer on a Friday night except I get it (if I’m lucky – BIG if) in a lump sum once a year. So to somehow suggest you should be treated differently because you “give up your spare time” (to those on dole the 40 hours a week you’re spending in taxed employment is “giving up your spare time”) is a feeble argument.

I don’t begrudge anyone making a few quid from the odd cash job if it comes along – fair play to you. I am talking about those who have as good as full time enterprises earning hundreds per week who then claim poverty and get every benefit going.

I don’t want to generalise but anyone working shift work (Gardai, Firemen, factory workers) has huge potential to earn cash work on the 3 or 4 days a week they’re not rostered on and most do. I know of one arm of the state in Dublin where they all work as DJs in their off time. IF a gig happens to inconveniently be scheduled for a time they’re supposed to be working they simply call in sick. Their mate is then called in on overtime to cover. Everyone (except me and you) wins. The walk away with €250 per night sitting playing records in a pub but then poor mouth about being asked to pay for their water / contribute to their final salary pensions etc.

€20 BN black ecomony? At 52% tax that’s €10.5BN! The water charges will bring in what? €0.5 BN? IF politicians were serious about sorting this out we could all have free water, no property tax, cheaper fuel, about 10% less income tax – but no politician is going to risk votes by taking this one on. Sure the coping classes will sort it out for them by paying another few quid.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

A registered contractor doing a job off the books isn't black economy.

Very little wiggle room for the black economy these days, it's consigned to the history books mostly.

I've never read a more naive post on boards

OP, that's very saintly in theory & we all aspire to those standards.
    I consider myself fully tax compliant cause I work a full-time PAYE job, no wiggle room there, this means I pay my fair share as far as I understand it.
    If I take a closer look at my own circumstance I'm as dirty as they come.
    I fix PC's & Laptops in my spare time, nothing major, pulls in about 80 quid a week.
    Our kids are minded by a neighbour who also signs on, not my problem, she's saves me a fortune on full creche fees & takes the kids when they're sick, so much handier too for dropping off/picking up.
    My wife runs her own business where figures have to be trimmed every year to keep her under the VAT threshold.

But I pay my fair share so I'm good, do you see ?

OP, that's very saintly in theory & we all aspire to those standards.
    I consider myself fully tax compliant cause I work a full-time PAYE job, no wiggle room there, this means I pay my fair share as far as I understand it.
    If I take a closer look at my own circumstance I'm as dirty as they come.
    I fix PC's & Laptops in my spare time, nothing major, pulls in about 80 quid a week.
    Our kids are minded by a neighbour who also signs on, not my problem, she's saves me a fortune on full creche fees & takes the kids when they're sick, so much handier too for dropping off/picking up.
    My wife runs her own business where figures have to be trimmed every year to keep her under the VAT threshold.

But I pay my fair share so I'm good, do you see ?

....but if everyone was paying ALL the tax they were supposed to be paying then there could be free child care for your childreen, a more affluent society where your wifes business would blow the VAT threshold apart etc.

The downside for you would be a more affluent society would mean newer laptops and less nixxers fixing old ones but you can't have it all I suppose. :D

....but if everyone was paying ALL the tax they were supposed to be paying then there could be free child care for your childreen, a more affluent society where your wifes business would blow the VAT threshold apart etc.

The downside for you would be a more affluent society would mean newer laptops and less nixxers fixing old ones but you can't have it all I suppose. :D

But we're Irish & your tax Utopia wouldn't suit our cute whore mé féin mentaility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Magaggie wrote: »
    If someone's on the dole and gets the very odd nixer every few weeks while looking for full-time work the whole time, fair play to them - pretty miserable to begrudge them that. They'd get grief for sitting on their asses and not doing that nixer.
    Well say if you are a business owner who pays all your taxes and are being undercut by people doing the jobs cash in hand without any insurance or qualification? Would you not be annoyed somebody is taking work away from you?
    You are calling being fair and regulations begrudgery. I don't begrudge people making money but cheating both the dole and businesses along with safety issues is not to begrudge them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

During the Celtic Tiger the state had too much money, and with all that money did we get all the services required? Did we f*ck!!!

The state already has enough income to provide ALL the services needed. The problem is the gross waste in the system.

People believing that the state needs more money is part of the problem. The problem is not on the income side.

The Dagda wrote: »
    During the Celtic Tiger the state had too much money, and with all that money did we get all the services required? Did we f*ck!!!

The state already has enough income to provide ALL the services needed. The problem is the gross waste in the system.

People believing that the state needs more money is part of the problem. It makes the politician's job easier.

Ah but I don’t – I just believe that everyone should be paying what the law says, this should allow for lower taxes overall and would reduce waste as the same people would then lose out on the benefits they now receive.

You’re spot on about waste – but try to cut out the ridiculous allowances, numbers scratching their ar$e in the HSE etc and see how likely you are to be re-elected – about the same as if you tried to tackle the black economy:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Report those you know to be working while claiming full dole or else don't bother complaining.

I couldn't agree more. I have no problem reporting people doing it.

It's actually starting to annoy me every time I see a new thread where people complain about someone they know to be defrauding the welfare system yet they moan about it here instead of reporting it.

If its never reported these people won't get caught.

Ah but I don’t – I just believe that everyone should be paying what the law says, this should allow for lower taxes overall and would reduce waste as the same people would then lose out on the benefits they now receive.

You’re spot on about waste – but try to cut out the ridiculous allowances, numbers scratching their ar$e in the HSE etc and see how likely you are to be re-elected – about the same as if you tried to tackle the black economy:p

You clearly said if there was more money we'd have free child care. We had too much money during the celtic tiger. So much money that McCreevey ended up giving some back to us, and we didn't have anything like free childcare then.

When people see the state doing a better job then they'll feel better about paying tax.

The water tax is a perfect example. The correct way would've been to set up Irish water, fix the leaks and improve the quality of water in bad areas, and then start charging. The way they're doing it now gets people against it from the start.

Agree but my point is the Government should be doing more to make this publicly unacceptable and ENCOURAGE reporting. This would both urge people to come forward and probably reduce the number abusing the system straight away if they thought the chances of getting caught had substantially increased.

The insurance industry is a good example:

Back in the 90’s I worked on the continent. I got to know a few ads from Cork who moved there and eventually I moved home. On returning a year or so later one of the Cork lads was missing, I enquired where he was. In Ireland testifying for someone who was trying to claim against their insurance for an injury sustained while this lad was still on the continent! He was blatently lying to help his friend defraud the insurance company! When I returned home I was telling friends about it and told them I was reporting it to the guards. Everyone was horrified that I would even consider this so I dropped it. Today the insurance industry does a great job of encouraging people to “report suspect claims” and its no longer socially acceptable to screw the insurance business (in the 90s everyone seemed to think that because the industry was screwing them (which it was) then this was alright. It’s the same today with tax – the government are “screwing da people” ergo its fair game to “da people” to screw the system.

Try finding who to report tax evasion to on Google. Its not that easy. Just make it easy. It wouldn’t be hard to launch a campaign and frighten a few fraudsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... yet are down the post office on Saturday morning collecting their dole.
    The State is being absolutely ruthless with people claiming or trying to defraud anything from them at the moment

Sorry. Does not compute.

Who is telling lies and truth between these two posts?

• Advertisement

The Dagda wrote: »
    You clearly said if there was more money we'd have free child care. We had too much money during the celtic tiger. So much money that McCreevey ended up giving some back to us, and we didn't have anything like free childcare then.

When people see the state doing a better job then they'll feel better about paying tax.

The water tax is a perfect example. The correct way would've been to set up Irish water, fix the leaks and improve the quality of water in bad areas, and then start charging. The way they're doing it now gets people against it from the start.

I said if the government had more money we COULD have free child care. We all know it was pissed away in the Celtic Tiger. It was pissed away on benchmarking so that civil servants who enjoy the best perks on the planet could also enjoy the best pay on the planet. Money was spent on infrastructure which you see today (not withstanding it was probably over spent on).

The SSIA saving scheme had nothing to do with the government having “too much money” – it was set up to curb rising inflation by encouraging people to save. Oh the irony today.

Again I am NOT suggesting tax people more – I absolutely think people should be taxed less – I would just like to see the laws applied equally to everyone and an effort made to eradicate fraud – this would increase the tax revenues but not hurt a compliant tax payer in the slightest.

I said if the government had more money we COULD have free child care. We all know it was pissed away in the Celtic Tiger. It was pissed away on benchmarking so that civil servants who enjoy the best perks on the planet could also enjoy the best pay on the planet. Money was spent on infrastructure which you see today (not withstanding it was probably over spent on).

The SSIA saving scheme had nothing to do with the government having “too much money” – it was set up to curb rising inflation by encouraging people to save. Oh the irony today.

Again I am NOT suggesting tax people more – I absolutely think people should be taxed less – I would just like to see the laws applied equally to everyone and an effort made to eradicate fraud – this would increase the tax revenues but not hurt a compliant tax payer in the slightest.

The SSIA had everything to having too much money, to say otherwise is naive. Of course Fianna Fail disguised it as an economic "strategy" to curb inflation, but the truth is we had a massive surplus and rather than doing something worthy the idiots started buying votes.

They could've curbed the inflation other ways; taxes should've been raised during the good times. Then you can cut them in the bad times to stimulate.

Trying to chase people now is the wrong tactic. They should fix the systemic problems now, show the public that services are better. Let people see some improvements, raise confidence in the state and then there would be more support for chasing non compliant people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I pay 52% on every penny extra I dare earn over €41,800. This is a joint income as my wife is not working. Before people jump up and down about how wealthy that makes me €41,800 equates to a net wage of €2,760 a month. Out of that has to come mortgage payments (luckily just under €1,500 a month) and all the other bills life throws at you (thankfully no car loans). If I have the drive to work harder (which I do) and earn a bonus for my efforts I will take home 48% of what I’m paid. I’ve learnt to live with this.

Sell the house. You obviously can't afford that mortgage. It's stupid having it. You could rent a two bed apt for less than a grand in dublins suburbs and have a lot more disposable income.

The problem is entirely in how much you signed up to pay. If you got rid of it you'd be a lot better off

Grayson wrote: »
    Sell the house. You obviously can't afford that mortgage. It's stupid having it. You could rent a two bed apt for less than a grand in dublins suburbs and have a lot more disposable income.

The problem is entirely in how much you signed up to pay. If you got rid of it you'd be a lot better off

Who said I was struggling to afford the mortgage??? I'm not. The guy next to me isnt either because 5-6 times a month he can go out and earn 250 a time doing nixxers and nobody seems to give a sh1t that he doesn't pay tax on it. I work my ar$e off to provide for my family and give the government 52% of everything I earn over €42k to pay over paid public sector workers and provide for their pensions. They meanwhile go sick from their jobs and earn a sizable second income working while they should be in their actual jobs while not bothering to declare any of this for tax - this is just plain wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What I would like to see is a government getting serious about tax evasion / welfare fraud.
    let them get serious about welfare reform to then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Will a government ever have the balls to stand up and tackle the issue of the black economy in Ireland as a means to raising extra revenue / reducing welfare costs?

I suspect the answer is never. Sure they will all make sound bites and release the occasional story about how one criminal was caught drawing welfare while living in Dalkey and holidaying in the Seychelles which they know will draw the praise of the masses reading their Evening Herald but when will they get serious about it??

I pay 52% on every penny extra I dare earn over €41,800. This is a joint income as my wife is not working. Before people jump up and down about how wealthy that makes me €41,800 equates to a net wage of €2,760 a month. Out of that has to come mortgage payments (luckily just under €1,500 a month) and all the other bills life throws at you (thankfully no car loans). If I have the drive to work harder (which I do) and earn a bonus for my efforts I will take home 48% of what I’m paid. I’ve learnt to live with this.

However what I am struggling with is that while I’m working 60 hours a week to earn a small bonus which might pay for new blinds, a bit of paint for the walls or maybe even a short holiday (and contribute more to the tax revenue of the state) a good chunk of my neighbours stuff their back pockets with nixxers and moan at having to pay water charges. Others work away happily on building sites etc (yes there are still some) and yet are down the post office on Saturday morning collecting their dole.

The next thing on the horizon I am quite sure will be means tested child benefit. In such a scenario I would surely lose the €280 a month we receive for raising our kids to contribute to paying off the national debt in 20 years time. My neighbours with their “official” incomes being short of mine would continue to get theirs (and probably some family income supplement on top of that). Marxism would be complete and their kids will flourish as mine go without.

What I would like to see is a government getting serious about tax evasion / welfare fraud. Launch a campaign. Have a confidential number and encourage reporting. Hire (yes hire!) staff to go after it (will pay for itself in the first week). 20 years ago everyone thought insurance fraud was acceptable because the insurance companies were screwing everyone. These days they advertise for whistle blowers and it is deemed as a criminal activity (which it always was). The potential is enormous. Much bigger than any water charges or TV licence evaders. But of course it would be political suicide as the masses revolt about how they are taking “their money”. Let them pay 52% tax on their nixxers, level the playing field and then look at means testing child benefit.

But it will never happen.

I'm sure we all agree with your sentiment...

...But I'm just curious, if there was some glitch in the revenue computer system or something, and that 52% you pay on the higher earnings was reduced to 5.2%, and somehow (not sure how... but we're playing hypotheticals, so humour me) you knew there was only a very very minuscule chance the mistake would ever be noticed or rectified... how quickly would you get on to them to notify them of the error?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Anybody who listens to the adds from the insurance companys about "Steve stealing from your pocket"is pretty naïve if they think they are going to get cheaper insurance when you report Steve.
    They will still jack up insurance owing to bad storms/floods/plague's of locusts etc and stick Steves money in their pockets or shareholders pockets,so they can f*ck of and get someone else to be a snitch for them for free to improve their bottom line.

Same for the government,you think if they got all the money in from the black economy that we would all have free crèches etc,Ha effing Ha,probably go towards hiring another 2,500 "office" staff for the HSE and stick them on desks in one of the closed down wards with the rest of them.

And I don't want to be like a German selling their mother down the river,would put up with the black economy rather than that,only thing I want from them is to give us back OUR money that THEY lost which is mega multiples of the loss to the black economy in this country and your income tax might be reduced,but I doubt it,that only happens approaching election time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Who said I was struggling to afford the mortgage??? I'm not. The guy next to me isnt either because 5-6 times a month he can go out and earn 250 a time doing nixxers and nobody seems to give a sh1t that he doesn't pay tax on it. I work my ar$e off to provide for my family and give the government 52% of everything I earn over €42k to pay over paid public sector workers and provide for their pensions. They meanwhile go sick from their jobs and earn a sizable second income working while they should be in their actual jobs while not bothering to declare any of this for tax - this is just plain wrong.

You still haven't said if you have reported the welfare fraud you see going on beside you, while it does happen it is rare enough today for anyone to be doing it long term things are much tighter today than they were in the past, you could start a campaign of social stigma yourself, refuse to be in his company and make it know in your community why you are doing it. I doubt you would be popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Right - anoybody on this board thats not a student?

"It took me approx. 5 seconds to find the above link"

Well done you - of course I can do it myself (who's to say I haven't) but I am talking about a public awarness campaign. Make it clear to Bill & Betty who are struggling to pay water charges etc that actually is partly because Steve, the lovely lad from next door who does all his jobs for cash isn’t paying his way. Make it as socially unacceptable for lads who are known to be on dole turing up for a few pints in their work close as it now is for them to then hop in the car and drive home locked.

The Germans (who some reason we try not to be like) would sell their own mother up the river if they thought it meant they were paying more in tax because she was avoiding it. We should be doing the same rather than just complaining about water/property/bin/tv charges.

it is a pretty scummy thing to do....reporting/begrudging antone on the dole doing a few nixers....as anyone taking the piss...do by and large get caught

Also there should be rewards for reporting people who are abusing the system. If they get convicted you get a graded reward based on the amount they were stealing.

only right then if you report someone in the wrong/not proven that you must forfeit your wages to them....as you are trying to stop their income....also no reports should be confidential....don't report if your unwilling to stand over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

only right then if you report someone in the wrong/not proven that you must forfeit your wages to them....as you are trying to stop their income....also no reports should be confidential....don't report if your unwilling to stand over it

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard (well one of the top 100).

No reports on anything at all should be confidential?
    Thats nonsense.

So if you suspect someone is on the dole and working or working and not paying tax on part of their income (under the table so to speak) you should just let them have at it?

The people who can fully investigate this type of behaviour have the tools available to do so, all the guy on the street has is suspicion. He can and should pass on whatever information he has for the correct person to investigate.
    Forfeiture of wages? Crazy stuff.
    People get paid to investigate tip offs, if the person has been reported and found to be compliant then they have nothing to fear - have they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

kippy wrote: »
    That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard (well one of the top 100).

No reports on anything at all should be confidential?
    Thats nonsense.

So if you suspect someone is on the dole and working or working and not paying tax on part of their income (under the table so to speak) you should just let them have at it?

The people who can fully investigate this type of behaviour have the tools available to do so, all the guy on the street has is suspicion. He can and should pass on whatever information he has for the correct person to investigate.
    Forfeiture of wages? Crazy stuff.
    People get paid to investigate tip offs, if the person has been reported and found to be compliant then they have nothing to fear - have they?

Stasi good bit to take in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Big Steve wrote: »

If its never reported these people won't get caught.
    But where do you draw the line, if someone is trying hard to get a job and doing a few hrs childminding a wk, should they be reported? What should happen those who employ this childminder?

Don't try and say there is no line, thats just ridiculas, and because there is a line the whole thing breaks down, because you can justify just about anything.
    The insurance industry is a good example:
    No it's not, the amount of people who have claimed insurance money is quiet small. Im sure it happens, but most people don't go out and make fradulant claims, where as every single person I know well has either cheated the system in some way or been the beneficiary of cheating.

Also op, I've come accross a few folk who talk and think just like you and as is usually the case with most people they've strong opinions about a broad range of issues , Religion, football,Iraq etc but they only ever seem to find their voice about this issue when they themselves have climbed up the the ladder.Is this the case with you or have you always felt strongly about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I'd like to see the government clamp down on illegal immigrants in Ireland i.e. the ones who come here on the pretense of going to 'English Language College' and only work.

I don't think Irish people realize the level of corruption going on within these so called 'colleges' and the people who are assisting them.

There is serious criminality involving illegal immigrants and the above mentioned and there are people in trusted positions lining their pockets and making fortunes at OUR expense.

If the general public knew, there would be total uproar.

No point telling the guards though since they do their own laundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ah OP you've bought into the the myth that there are 100's of millions to be saved by clamping down on welfare fraud. There is no magical pot of money at the end of that particular rainbow. Yes it happens but on a much smaller scale than you are imagining.

So what if your neighbours are doing nixers?

To be honest it's really none of your business what they do and life is far to short to be spending it worried about what your neighbour is up to on a saturday.

The system screws us all for most of our lives, sometimes it good to screw the system over every now and again.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Well say if you are a business owner who pays all your taxes and are being undercut by people doing the jobs cash in hand without any insurance or qualification? Would you not be annoyed somebody is taking work away from you?
    You are calling being fair and regulations begrudgery. I don't begrudge people making money but cheating both the dole and businesses along with safety issues is not to begrudge them.
    Well I mean people who are qualified. I know what you're saying but can you really blame them if the opportunity comes up for a bit of extra cash doing what they're qualified to do while they're looking for employment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

A lot of countries need a black economy to keep money circulating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yes, the government should stop the black economy but there's also a lot of other stuff they should be doing. It sucks but there ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well I mean people who are qualified. I know what you're saying but can you really blame them if the opportunity comes up for a bit of extra cash doing what they're qualified to do while they're looking for employment?

They surely have employment if they are working?
    Either way a properly qualified person can undercut like hell in a cash in hand scenario.

kippy wrote: »
    They surely have employment if they are working?
    Either way a properly qualified person can undercut like hell in a cash in hand scenario.
    I'm talking about people on the dole who get the occasional nixer (but not enough to live on alone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Red21 wrote: »
    But where do you draw the line, if someone is trying hard to get a job and doing a few hrs childminding a wk, should they be reported? What should happen those who employ this childminder?

You actually don't have to pay tax on childminding earnings if it's only a small amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ah OP you've bought into the the myth that there are 100's of millions to be saved by clamping down on welfare fraud. There is no magical pot of money at the end of that particular rainbow. Yes it happens but on a much smaller scale than you are imagining.
    out of a total budget of 20,000,000,000 if even 5% was fraud, it would amount to a billion! So I reckon it is safe to say that welfare fraud is costing at least several hundred million a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Isn't doing what they are qualified to do employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I'm talking about people on the dole who get the occasional nixer (but not enough to live on alone).

So declare the occasional nixer to the welfare.

It's like back to the 80s when half the workforce in Ireland was working and signing, and it seemed to be totally socially acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

policarp wrote: »
    A lot of countries need a black economy to keep money circulating.
    very true, it will always exist and that's not a bad thing.

• Advertisement

So declare the occasional nixer to the welfare.

It's like back to the 80s when half the workforce in Ireland was working and signing, and it seemed to be totally socially acceptable.
    Be honest though, would you bother with all that red tape? It's easy to say you would when you're not in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I have paid people in cash quite often, off the books, but I have never earned money in the black economy myself.

Yes, I do realise I am a full active participant in the black economy, you'll get no excuses from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Hang on. Lets just say I made 200 quid one time. And went and put 150 of diesel into the jeep. Thats 90 euros in fuel tax the government gets straight away.
    Its not the best system, and I dobt necessarily agree with it but its not like theyre not making a cent off it either. The only thing they haven't been able to tax is the cash you've just recieved. Everything you actually buy with it? They still get a piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Hang on. Lets just say I made 200 quid one time. And went and put 150 of diesel into the jeep. Thats 90 euros in fuel tax the government gets straight away.
    Its not the best system, and I dobt necessarily agree with it but its not like theyre not making a cent off it either. The only thing they haven't been able to tax is the cash you've just recieved. Everything you actually buy with it? They still get a piece.
    Well that's a fib anyway, Mr "shure a tenner goes a long way". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Well that's a fib anyway, Mr "shure a tenner goes a long way". :D

Diesel was 'spensive back then. 90ltr tank had no problem swallowing it! Only white of course:D

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Red21 wrote: »

She should be reported. There should be a no nonsense approach to eradicating this type of behavior. You can earn up to €15,000 babysitting tax free anyway.

All income must be declared, there are no exceptions.

I don't think there is a massive problem with people claiming and doing foxers. The real problem is in the small businesses that are quite often family run.
    There are massive losses of taxes in this area, cash payments allowing an underdeclaration of income. This leads to children being allowed go to college on grants etc.

It badly needs to be tackled as at the moment the ordinary PAYE worker is being screwed by the small business owners and the self employed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Here's how incompetent the folks in Revenue are. Tell me the last time anyone on here drove through a set of traffic lights in Dublin without seeing a sign cable tied to the traffic post saying, "WE BUY CARS FOR CASH"...

This is a whole industry that has emerged within the last 2 years in scrap metal. You can get up to 200 Euro cash for scrapping a car. We give out about regulators having been asleep at the wheel, yet here is a cash based industry in scrap metal that has emerged and you can bet your life on it that no tax is being declared on any of what is being made here, and where is the action to stamp down on this, NON-EXISTENT!!!

It would sicken your hole this country.

Advertisement