Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Adventure Race Information

Options
  • 12-06-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I am registered for the KAR and am looking for some info about the course.
    How tough is the cycle, many climbs etc
    What is the terrain for the rum up Mangerton
    Does anyone have a GPX of the course (I know that they havent finalised the course for this year).
    Thanks
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gtown101

Hi cantwbr1

I came across this local web site that has all the different stages broken down, showing maps and elevations - its a good start. Activeme.ie search for Killarney adventure race and all the routes come up
    Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

I hiked up the revisedTorc route for 2014 event. A much better surface than Torc mountain. How is the training going with you all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There's going to be an information evening in Limerick next Thursday evening 21st August. Location has just been agreed and details will be going up on the KAR website shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Any word of an info session in the west?
    I did the Torc route a couple of months back, not much room for overtaking on cardiac steps, thought it is a bit easier than last years hike to the summit though.

Ath trasna wrote: »
    I did the Torc route a couple of months back, not much room for overtaking on cardiac steps, thought it is a bit easier than last years hike to the summit though.

As far as I know, Cork, Dublin and Killarney were the only ones planned. I offered a location to host one in Limerick but I could video that and maybe offer it up on Youtube if they don't arrange an evening in Galway / further West / North.

• Advertisement

Argo trasna, are you doing the 27 km or 60/70 km?

Argo trasna, are you doing the 27 km or 60/70 km?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

Our club, GoTri adventure have approx 40 people competing in Killarney and we're planning on running an adventure racing training day on the 7th September which is geared towards Killarney in particular. A lot of our members will be trying adventure racing for the first time. It'll be held in the UL Activity Centre in Killaloe and the race organisers for Killarney Adventure Race are planning on travelling up to answer any questions on the race. We'll also have expert coaching on each of the race disciplines and we'll run a staged 'race' (normal race format but with regroup points) following the format of Killarney to finish out the day. Once we have details finalised in the next week or so I'll post details on here or you can follow updates on our Facebook page if you like - GoTri Adventure

AKW wrote: »
    As far as I know, Cork, Dublin and Killarney were the only ones planned. I offered a location to host one in Limerick but I could video that and maybe offer it up on Youtube if they don't arrange an evening in Galway / further West / North.

That would be great AKW. Thanks.

I'm doing the 27k Nmccd. I did the 60km last year but I think me and cycling are not meant to be, found the cycle extremely tough last year. I did the shorter distance on the sea to summit a few weeks after killarney last year and really enjoyed that distance, I felt I could push myself a little harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Can anyone recommend somewhere around Dublin/ North Wicklow that a novice at Kayaking could go to for a bit of training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Get in contact with Brian Keogh at Total Experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Enduro wrote: »

Perfect thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Statler wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend somewhere around Dublin/ North Wicklow that a novice at Kayaking could go to for a bit of training?
    Enduro wrote: »

And cycle out to him whilst you are at it to complete a good multisport training day

Just a reminder of the info talk in Limerick tonight. I'm planning to video the talk so will stick it up on Youtube or Google+ at some point over the weekend hopefully.

https://plus.google.com/events/cp4qf2eo1ja3agrl3k45c03hd00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Hi Guys

Am about to register for this race, myself and the missus. The beginner route. Can run 10-16k myself and do spinning classes every week. Is there something i should be looking at doing so it isnt going to be a total failure?

We are probably going to do the race together to help each other along so i don't mind walking a bit of the run or taking it handy. Im not looking to break records or break myself but now that its a month away im just a bit nervous.

Thanks for any advice

Doing fine with what you are doing. Do try a bit of off-road running just to get used to the difference in stride and surface.

Did you get yourself a €5 discount code for the entry? Its available in some of the stores that are supporting the event.

Doing fine with what you are doing. Do try a bit of off-road running just to get used to the difference in stride and surface.

Did you get yourself a €5 discount code for the entry? Its available in some of the stores that are supporting the event.

Didn't get my hands on the discount code no, will try keep an eye out, probably booking the race this weekend though so doubt il get one. :-/

Great, i don't feel so nervous now!

Actually while you are there AKW, i know they reccomend 'trail runners' but am just gonna wear pair of Brooks i got off yerselves and have broken in. Just what im most comfortable in or should i really be getting trail runners

BKWDR wrote: »
    Didn't get my hands on the discount code no, will try keep an eye out, probably booking the race this weekend though so doubt il get one. :-/

Give me a shout and I'll sort you out on this ^^ (I have forms I could post to you with the discount code)

Re trail shoes. If you think you will get the use from them either in this or future events I would recommend them. Save the road shoes for the road and you'd be amazed at the difference having the correct sole makes in terms of downhill confidence.

I know a place with some great clearance deals on trail shoes at the moment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Give me a shout and I'll sort you out on this ^^ (I have forms I could post to you with the discount code)

Pity I didn't know before I booked myself!
    I know a place with some great clearance deals on trail shoes at the moment ;)

Would they have a branch in Bray with similar deals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I'm in for this too. It looks tough enough so i'm looking forward to it.

As long as I'm in under 9 hours il be happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Does anyone know what time the first wave of the Sprint (27k) starts? It's Wave 10 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Is the Torc mountain run the same as last year?

The Torc run has changed from last years route. IMO it has a much better for surface than Torc mountain. ;-) there are alot of different trails criss crossing up there so I hope I have the right one! Anybody else been up there?

The Torc run has changed from last years route. IMO it has a much better for surface than Torc mountain. ;-) there are alot of different trails criss crossing up there so I hope I have the right one! Anybody else been up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

Does anyone know what time the first wave of the Sprint (27k) starts? It's Wave 10 I think.

I checked already with the organisers, 10.00 is the 1st wave for the 27km

Nmccd wrote: »

We did the new route for the 27K earlier on in the summer, up the steps beside the waterfall, cross over the bridge at the top of the waterfall (near the top car park), take a right at the T-junction, heading downhill, at the bottom of the hill continue along for about 2km (parallel to the Kenmare road), take a left turn and follow the steps to the top, follow the trail and it brings you back around to the top car park area and back down to your bike, easy really........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Just registered for the 70km, I'm late to the party so wave 4 or 5 were available. I see waves go between 0700-1100. Is it safe to assume wave 4 would leave at 10:00?

I'm not seeing wave timings or cut off times on the site. I must be getting old :(

Just registered for the 70km, I'm late to the party so wave 4 or 5 were available. I see waves go between 0700-1100. Is it safe to assume wave 4 would leave at 10:00?

I'm not seeing wave timings or cut off times on the site. I must be getting old :(

Drop the organizers an email, normally helpful and very fast to respond..

Mucho thanks to AKW for forms. Sent off, got registration email confirmation... Eek

Looking forward to it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

BKWDR wrote: »
    Mucho thanks to AKW for forms. Sent off, got registration email confirmation... Eek

Looking forward to it now!

Just had a look at my email confirmation, there doesnt seem to be a wave time - does yours have one in the eventmaster link?

Advertisement