Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Adventure Race Information

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Just had a look at my email confirmation, there doesnt seem to be a wave time - does yours have one in the eventmaster link?

No there is no wave time on my email

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Endurancer123

What is everyone thinking.. Bike shoes or power straps for the bike sections?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

I would suggest a trail shoe with a power strap.

Ard Trasna... I wad thinking about this comment today! I did the 59km last year and found the cycle the toughest...I have signed up for the 60k this year. Today wad my first cycle up through the black valley route...brutal is one word to describe it! :-*

trasna;91719 583"]That would be great AKW. Thanks.

I'm doing the 27k Nmccd. I did the 60km last year but I think me and cycling are not meant to be, found the cycle extremely tough last year. I did the shorter distance on the sea to summit a few weeks after killarney last year and really enjoyed that distance, I felt I could push myself a little harder.[/quote]

Ard Trasna... I wad thinking about this comment today! I did the 59km last year and found the cycle the toughest...I have signed up for the 60k this year. Today wad my first cycle up through the black valley route...brutal is one word to describe it! :-*

trasna;91719 583"]That would be great AKW. Thanks.

I'm doing the 27k Nmccd. I did the 60km last year but I think me and cycling are not meant to be, found the cycle extremely tough last year. I did the shorter distance on the sea to summit a few weeks after killarney last year and really enjoyed that distance, I felt I could push myself a little harder.[/quote]

• Advertisement

I would suggest a trail shoe with a power strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

What are power straps and why would they be better than a couple of quick changes of shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    What are power straps and why would they be better than a couple of quick changes of shoes?

These are power straps: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/powergrips/pedal-straps-ec005334#answers

Advantage seems to be saving time the 4 times you transition on the 60 and 70k routes, disadvantage is not having proper cycling/tri shoes and losing time/power on the cycle leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Fcuk, I just have normal pedals on my bike, and normal road runners :)

I take it I'm going to suffer bigtime because of this? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Think I'll stick with my clip in pedals and get elastic laces for the runners.

• Advertisement

Fcuk, I just have normal pedals on my bike, and normal road runners :)

I take it I'm going to suffer bigtime because of this? :eek:

By normal pedals if you mean flat pedals with no clips or cages then that'll be a disadvantage. Wearing normal runners on the 70km route would be a bad idea. Very bad.

Statler wrote: »
    By normal pedals if you mean flat pedals with no clips or cages then that'll be a disadvantage. Wearing normal runners on the 70km route would be a bad idea. Very bad.

I did the 59 last year and I am doing it again this year.I wore trail runners, no straps, and I was fine...I saw lads changing shoes...carrying shoes....rushing, swearing, tripping over trying to swap shoes etc... the cycle is only 35km, steep and challenging in places but very do able in trail shoes and straps/cage

I did the 59 last year and I am doing it again this year.I wore trail runners, no straps, and I was fine...I saw lads changing shoes...carrying shoes....rushing, swearing, tripping over trying to swap shoes etc... the cycle is only 35km, steep and challenging in places but very do able in trail shoes and straps/cage

Yeah flat pedals and a pair of illuminous green Puma things, straight off the TK Maxx shelf. :pac:

Feck it, be grand. It will just even things out, I'd hate to be winning the race like! :)

Cheers man.

Yeah flat pedals and a pair of illuminous green Puma things, straight off the TK Maxx shelf. :pac:

Feck it, be grand. It will just even things out, I'd hate to be winning the race like! :)

Cheers man.

Whatever about the pedals I'd beg borrow or steal a pair of trail runners. Strickeen is boggy and slippery, Mangerton is a bit of everything, the last stretch is loose rocky terrain, really wouldn't be wearing shoes without decent grip on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

You can make up your own minds on the cleats vs runners debate folks but I will remind you of one thing....

It's not just a matter of which one will get you up the hill and out of transition faster. You have to take into account the extra load on your calves with not having the cleats. For an event like the expert route in Killarney which has a long and tough mountain run at the end you're going to need as much juice in the legs as possible for that run and cramping going up or down is a disaster.

It's an individual thing though, different strokes for different folks.

BeBetter wrote: »
    You can make up your own minds on the cleats vs runners debate folks but I will remind you of one thing....

It's not just a matter of which one will get you up the hill and out of transition faster. You have to take into account the extra load on your calves with not having the cleats. For an event like the expert route in Killarney which has a long and tough mountain run at the end you're going to need as much juice in the legs as possible for that run and cramping going up or down is a disaster.

It's an individual thing though, different strokes for different folks.

Well fcuk! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Normal runners on the 59km route, good/bad/awful idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Not a great idea to be honest, it was a dry morning last year and parts of the route were very slippery. I found the trail runners invaluable. It's tough enough going up and down those hills, I would advise people to use every single advantage they can get and trail runners for me are a "must have".

As Ath trasna says above, not a great idea. Another point to bear in mind on the trail runners vs normal runners decision is that the organisers advise trail runners for a reason, if you go on your ear near the top of Mangerton as a result of wearing the wrong shoes, in a worst case scenario then people are going to have to go and get you. Can't imagine they'd be too impressed to find out you've got the wrong gear on, it's certainly something I'd nag the injured party about all the way back down the mountain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

I was hoping for a, no you'll be grand!

Thanks for the replies.

Idea's on where to get a pair in the next few days?

I did the short course last year and the normal runners were ok.

Amphibian King in Bray, got my last couple of pairs there, good range and more importantly take the time to go through the various styles/ brands with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

For the 70Km race, does anyone know what times the waves leave at? It says on the website waves start from 7am to 11am. There are 5 waves in total, so is it 7am, 8am, 9am, 10am & 11am? With the race starting 40mins after each wave start.

For the 70Km race, does anyone know what times the waves leave at? It says on the website waves start from 7am to 11am. There are 5 waves in total, so is it 7am, 8am, 9am, 10am & 11am? With the race starting 40mins after each wave start.

I can't remember exactly but I think I was in the last wave last year and it went off at about 9:00ish

Just for the 27k...think im all sorted. More or less.

Is there anything i would have forgotten?

Cycle - Bike on hire to be picked up at Expo. I take it i dont have to transport the bike anywhere? Will i need a bike rack? Puncture repair etc comes with rental. Will need own helmet.
    Run - Sure have everything i need. Runners etc
    Kayak - Sure what would you need for that?
    Cycle - as before

Do you have to bring a bag with basic first aid? hardly for the 27k?

From experience will i need a change of clothes for halfway? Slightly concerned with the dreaded 'chafing'.

I was going to wear padded shorts for the cycle but don't fancy running in them.

Will i get soaked in the kayak?

Apols for questions if they are silly. It's my first event like this and the closer it gets the more jittery im getting!

BKWDR wrote: »
    Just for the 27k...think im all sorted. More or less.

Is there anything i would have forgotten?

Cycle - Bike on hire to be picked up at Expo. I take it i dont have to transport the bike anywhere? Will i need a bike rack? Puncture repair etc comes with rental. Will need own helmet.
    Run - Sure have everything i need. Runners etc
    Kayak - Sure what would you need for that?
    Cycle - as before

Do you have to bring a bag with basic first aid? hardly for the 27k?

From experience will i need a change of clothes for halfway? Slightly concerned with the dreaded 'chafing'.

I was going to wear padded shorts for the cycle but don't fancy running in them.

Will i get soaked in the kayak?

Apols for questions if they are silly. It's my first event like this and the closer it gets the more jittery im getting!

No such thing as silly questions, I was asking all these last year on my first attempt.

When you collect the bike on Friday evening you'll need to bring it back to your accomodation so you shouldn't need a bike rack if staying locally.

As far as I know you have to have a basic first aid kit and a survival blanket for all distances of the race.

The cycle distance for the 27k is relatively short so you should be ok without cycle shorts, if you feel you need them you could take them off and leave them with the bike at the end of the cycle.

Depending on the weather on the day you may get a little wet on the Kayak, you might get a few splashes and a wet a""e and there might be a bit of spray coming off the lake if its breezy, your going to get wet up to the ankles getting on and off the kayak also but hopefully the weather will be like last year and we'll be glad to cool down.

Enjoy..

Ath trasna wrote: »
    No such thing as silly questions, I was asking all these last year on my first attempt.

When you collect the bike on Friday evening you'll need to bring it back to your accomodation so you shouldn't need a bike rack if staying locally.

As far as I know you have to have a basic first aid kit and a survival blanket for all distances of the race.

The cycle distance for the 27k is relatively short so you should be ok without cycle shorts, if you feel you need them you could take them off and leave them with the bike at the end of the cycle.

Depending on the weather on the day you may get a little wet on the Kayak, you might get a few splashes and a wet a""e and there might be a bit of spray coming off the lake if its breezy, your going to get wet up to the ankles getting on and off the kayak also but hopefully the weather will be like last year and we'll be glad to cool down.

Enjoy..

Brilliant thanks for the info!

I am staying in dunloe or beaufort with a friend so i'll figure that out in relation to where the expo is.

Grand im thinking i should be good to go. Just fearing coming off the run chafed to bits. Sure will figure it out.

I am staying in dunloe or beaufort with a friend so i'll figure that out in relation to where the expo is.

Grand im thinking i should be good to go. Just fearing coming off the run chafed to bits. Sure will figure it out.

Don't consider a change of clothes, really not necessary. If you're totally new to this and you're worried about chafing then just make sure you wear something that you've already worn before and that's broken in. Don't wear something that you're just taking the tags off before the race!!! Since you're very new to this you may not have a pair of shorts that are suitably broken in so I'd actually advise you borrow a pair from someone else, they'll have them broken in for you!! Not the most appealing of suggestions but trust me it's better than taking a pair off the shelf. And finally go to the chemist and get some Lanacane, rub it wherever you're concerned about chafing and bring the tube with you on the race in case you start to feel any burn.

You'll be fine, the 27km route is very accessible for any fitness type as long as you keep a consistent steady pace and don't burn yourself out at any stage. Since it's your first race the emphasis should be on enjoying it, so stop plenty, chat, take in the views. You'll get to the finish no problem.

Don't consider a change of clothes, really not necessary. If you're totally new to this and you're worried about chafing then just make sure you wear something that you've already worn before and that's broken in. Don't wear something that you're just taking the tags off before the race!!! Since you're very new to this you may not have a pair of shorts that are suitably broken in so I'd actually advise you borrow a pair from someone else, they'll have them broken in for you!! Not the most appealing of suggestions but trust me it's better than taking a pair off the shelf. And finally go to the chemist and get some Lanacane, rub it wherever you're concerned about chafing and bring the tube with you on the race in case you start to feel any burn. And make sure you don't carry a full wardrobe and survival kit on your back! Travel light, it's not an arctic expedition!

You'll be fine, the 27km route is very accessible for any fitness type as long as you keep a consistent steady pace and don't burn yourself out at any stage. Since it's your first race the emphasis should be on enjoying it, so stop every now and then, chat, take in the views. You'll get to the finish no problem.

• Advertisement

BeBetter wrote: »
    Don't consider a change of clothes, really not necessary. If you're totally new to this and you're worried about chafing then just make sure you wear something that you've already worn before and that's broken in. Don't wear something that you're just taking the tags off before the race!!! Since you're very new to this you may not have a pair of shorts that are suitably broken in so I'd actually advise you borrow a pair from someone else, they'll have them broken in for you!! Not the most appealing of suggestions but trust me it's better than taking a pair off the shelf. And finally go to the chemist and get some Lanacane, rub it wherever you're concerned about chafing and bring the tube with you on the race in case you start to feel any burn.

You'll be fine, the 27km route is very accessible for any fitness type as long as you keep a consistent steady pace and don't burn yourself out at any stage. Since it's your first race the emphasis should be on enjoying it, so stop plenty, chat, take in the views. You'll get to the finish no problem.

Thanks for the great advice! All the gear will be broken in and il be running in a pair of weathered ONeills, and have the tub of vaseline on stand by!

Advertisement