Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Adventure Race Information

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

Wave Times are posted on the website now, looking forward to Saturday going doing the 27km again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Nervous and excited now for the race! Hopefully the weather is ideal and everyone has a good race :)

I think i read it somewhere but not sure, are the kayaks matched male+male / female+female or mixed or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nmccd

BKWDR - last year the kayaks were mixed - depended on who you were paired with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I'm doing the 70km course. Not too optimistic about it tbh.

I might be under pressure for the cut off time at the base of the mountain.

Be grand, sure it's all about the free burger after :)

Best of luck folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Is everybody bringing all the mandatory kit, surely all bags will not be checked. There wont be enough time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 JayCee001

Puibo wrote: »
    Is everybody bringing all the mandatory kit, surely all bags will not be checked. There wont be enough time?

It's one of the only races I've seen proper checks at the start line so would advise bringing it. Anyway if you don't carry it it's not really an adventure race is it?

I even have a bum-bag...*shudder*

Another quick ceist. First time using the new Garmin Forerunner i bought. Am i better off leaving it run for the entire race or stopping starting it for the different kayak / run / bike? What do others do?

Just asking because ive left it a little late to pick up all the stuff!! Surely they will be on sale at the "expo"?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

They had them on sale last year so I presume they will again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 26 George Chinaglia

We did the same last year and picked up a few bits and pieces at the expo. The only thing you might have to get in advance is a survival blanket but you can get those in most chemists.

• Advertisement

Just asking because ive left it a little late to pick up all the stuff!! Surely they will be on sale at the "expo"?

Yep. You'll get most of what you need there - I thought Great Outdoors had a kit with it all in it for €10 (space blanket, whistle, basic first aid etc)

BKWDR wrote: »
    I even have a bum-bag...*shudder*

Another quick ceist. First time using the new Garmin Forerunner i bought. Am i better off leaving it run for the entire race or stopping starting it for the different kayak / run / bike? What do others do?

I just record it as one activity - more interested in overall time on the day rather than for each leg. Afterwards I just edit it and store it as "Other" (rather than cycling or running) on the Garmin Connect site. Only problem with that is if you connect with RunKeeper or Strava who don't have same options for different types of activity.

BRIIIIIING IT Ooooooon!

BRIIIIIING IT Ooooooon!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL! :-)

BRIIIIIING IT Ooooooon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Nmccd wrote: »

I'm broken
    Tough day out, how is everyone else?

SomeFool wrote: »
    I'm broken
    Tough day out, how is everyone else?

Fecked!

'Twas a tough day to learn how to cycle with shoes and cleats! Only came off 3 times :)

Absolutely brilliant event! Had loads of craic with people.

Fair play to everyone!

Oh I saw a guy coming down Strikeen with the black boards top....flying he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Tough going but a great day out. Fabulous place for it and not bad weather-wise considering what we had yesterday. Ravenous now though!

Yes tough 60km route. But definitely Less crowding on last year. I think streakeen was slightly shorter on last year . The lake was fab and if anybody took time to take in the scenery...WOW! Stunning . Tired legs and a pb ;-)... Even though I do think this was down to no over crowding on Torc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Did the opposite
    Fell off the Bike at the transition cause I forgot I couldn't unclip from the cage pedals like I do with my clipless ones, embarrassment! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

Great day out, was tougher than expected, wasn't a hard decision at the 60K or 70K signs :-)
    Really enjoyed the day overall, well organised and the people were brilliant, good craic during all the stages.
    First time in a Kayak in about 20 years, perfect conditions and cheers to Martin from Poland who I was randomly paired up with, we got a good rhythm going in no time and more importantly did not capsize :-)
    Considering the weather we had yesterday and last night when checking the bikes in, the weather today was perfect for it.

Ahh lads, i was in for 60k. Strickeen went great and about 3k into the bike my rear derallieur decided that it was going to make a move on the spokes!!
    They ended up entangled in each other, deralliuer bent, back wheel seized and me out of the race.

Looked like everybody else had a good day. See ye in March!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Feic.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

Good day out considering the weather. Preferred going up torc last year. Good feeling to get to top of torc rather than a point on a trail. Was not saying that on Saturday though.

really enjoyed the whole experience, thought it was very well run!

Traffic was cat getting out of Dublin on Friday but thankfully made it down to the expo in time to pick up bikes etc.

Weather really held out for us, we started at 11.30 and by the time we finished it JUST started raining.

The first cycle was handy, no cause for worry at all. There was i thinking the kayak was going to be a walk in the park, actually found it to be the hardest! legs and core were killing me half way through!

The run was grand, apart from the bits that obviously you couldn't run but just persevered and enjoyed and took in the views. Was hurting the most actually coming DOWN HILL. God my knees were screaming coming down off Torc. Then the cycle back was handy dandy.

The guys who did the pro courses, warriors the lot of ye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Ahh lads, i was in for 60k. Strickeen went great and about 3k into the bike my rear derallieur decided that it was going to make a move on the spokes!!
    They ended up entangled in each other, deralliuer bent, back wheel seized and me out of the race.

Looked like everybody else had a good day. See ye in March!!
    I think I remember passing you. Hard luck :(
    BKWDR wrote: »
    really enjoyed the whole experience, thought it was very well run!

+1 Very fun day. Race report here for anyone who's interested :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I think I remember passing you. Hard luck :(

+1 Very fun day. Race report here for anyone who's interested :D
    The bike is my Achilles heel for these multisport races.

Jaysus, I don't think so!!

I felt deadly as I turned onto the 70km route.....almost cried half way up Mangerton! :)

That broke a few people :)

I felt deadly as I turned onto the 70km route.....almost cried half way up Mangerton! :)

been that soldier. Which is why I changed to 60k at the last second. That Mangerton leg is savage and having done it last year I didn't feel I needed to prove anything to anyone.

Another excellently organised race on Saturday. Fair dues to the team at Elite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Brilliant day on Sat, lucky with the weather again for the most part. I really enjoyed the 27km route, another very well organised event. There seemed to be a little bit of confusion regarding the distance for the kayak, we went out around the little island but others we spoke to went out as far as a buoy/barrell and turned there. Anyone else notice this?

Advertisement