Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civil service dress for the bride

• 12-06-2014 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi, my future MRS is looking for a dress and I think she is going to struggle because finding a dress which is good enough for a wedding but isn't a wedding dress is a bit of an oximoron perhaps?

Anyone have any idea what they did?

Maybe go to all the boutiques etc

Any good websites.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I bought my non traditional wedding dress in Fran and Jane in Dublin City centre (they're in dundrum too), but there will be plenty of special dresses in high end boutiques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mine isn't particularly traditional (ivory and lacy, but it's a 50s style short shape and I love it :D ). Got it in Vivien of Holloway in London, dress, bolero and petticoat cost a total of around £200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

I know this is a designer one sorry I cant post the pic but I can post the link http://www.weddingpartyapp.com/blog/2014/06/10/5-international-wedding-dress-designers-you-should-know/?hvid=1OvAhE

The one half way down with the blue at the bottom is lovely I think something wedding but not the typical style.. I see a lot of people are now doing skirts and tops also rather than a dress could be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I agree, I think a 50's style dress is weddingy enough, but also not OTT for a small civil ceremony.
    Some bridal boutiques sell them and you can also check some of the recommended websites (I think this thread had lots of sites listed http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057162031).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Monsoon might be a good place to look, if it's the High Street she wants.

I second Vivien of Holloway. But - If your girl wants a real showstopping blow the budget 50's dress, then look no further than Candy Anthony!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wore a wedding dress for my civil wedding,I kind of wish I just bought a dressed I loved though.
    Those vivien Holloway dresses are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The civil services i've been to have been a mix between

full long wedding gown,
    slimline lighter style wedding dress, loads of this shape in monsoon.
    Shorter dress, to the knee
    Coloured fun dress.
    Vintage skirt suit with hat

So I think absolutely anything goes. You have all the freedom in the world, do whatever you fancy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i got mine in Retro in George's Street Arcade

Advertisement