Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History Project

Options
  • 12-06-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey users,

I am new here and it's my first post. Before I can continue, let me tell you that I have been struggling to find answers through websites that can help me start some works. So in this case, I still don't have any clear idea of what to research for my Leaving Cert history project. I know that examiners might give more marks for local projects but I have been thinking of doing American ones, particularly Iran-Contra Affairs or ABSCAM. I am wondering if these topics are allowed to take on for my project. If not, could you please suggest any topics, preferably Irish or American ones? I don't want to take any commonly used ones such as JFK assassination, etc. but less obvious ones.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What county are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

David100 wrote: »
    Hey users,

I am new here and it's my first post. Before I can continue, let me tell you that I have been struggling to find answers through websites that can help me start some works. So in this case, I still don't have any clear idea of what to research for my Leaving Cert history project. I know that examiners might give more marks for local projects but I have been thinking of doing American ones, particularly Iran-Contra Affairs or ABSCAM. I am wondering if these topics are allowed to take on for my project. If not, could you please suggest any topics, preferably Irish or American ones? I don't want to take any commonly used ones such as JFK assassination, etc. but less obvious ones.

Do a local project. Every year the Chief Examiner says that local history projects are the best, meaning you'll more than likely get higher marks in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 David100

What county are you in?

Dublin. So could any of you suggest an topic for me to do? I'll very deeply grateful with you suggesting one or two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I shall have a think.
    No end of possibilities for primary research in the Dublin City archives (upstairs in Pearse Street library).

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

Try to pick something obscure and small, like a specific battle in a war or a specific day during the executions after 1916. The more specific the better! Those type of ones always do better.

Or you could go the opposite and I really really broad. Don't go in between. Appearently there always meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Nick_1494 wrote: »
    Try to pick something obscure and small, like a specific battle in a war or a specific day during the executions after 1916. The more specific the better! Those type of ones always do better.

Or you could go the opposite and I really really broad. Don't go in between. Appearently there always meh

I wouldn't touch 1916 with a pole! I'd imagine they see heaps of that. Obscure is good, once it's historically relevant and sources are available.

If you cant get one or two decent sources, abandon ship :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

I wouldn't touch 1916 with a pole! I'd imagine they see heaps of that. Obscure is good, once it's historically relevant and sources are available.

If you cant get one or two decent sources, abandon ship :pac:

Oh I wasn't giving that as a title! I was just giving an example of how to go specific

These are off the top of my head:

Quaker businesses and their influence on Dublin. (Bewley's, Jacobs, Pims etc.)

The Guinness family and public housing in Dublin.

I've gone on a bit of a trend there.

Umm...

Dublin cinemas of the 1960s.

Corporation flats in Dublin 1930s-50s.

Zozimus

Dublin street characters.

OK, I've gone on a bit of a personal wish list there. If there is something you're interested in yourself, find an aspect to do with it and go see the people in the Dublin City Archives - they are very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Finished my LC today had history yesterday
    Project was nazi euthanasia program

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Benbutterly

For my history project I did it on the tuskar rock air tragedy, and the important thing is that you are interested in your project as you'll be doing a lot if work in it. I was thinking about doing an aspect on the Lusitania sinking as it sunk off the coast of Ireland, might be something you could think about but really it can be anything you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 caoimhe's phone

I was thinking of doing my history project on Stakeknife? I really enjoy reading about the IRA and NI and I was just wondering if anyone knows any books based on him? thankss

I was thinking of doing my history project on Stakeknife? I really enjoy reading about the IRA and NI and I was just wondering if anyone knows any books based on him? thankss

Just be careful with that sort of a topic. Lots of allegations and suspicions. Make sure you stick to known facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

^^^^

I'd echo that.

There's a book by "Martin Ingram" (check Wiki) called Stakeknife ... I've never bothered reading it, but given the background, I wouldn't trust its reliability one little bit tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 primcdonalds girl

Hi all, I was wondering is the topic of "how henrietta lacks cells changed medicine" too broad

Hi all, I was wondering is the topic of "how henrietta lacks cells changed medicine" too broad

Not too broad, but you need to remember it's a historical research project. Do some tie ins with the place black women had in US society etc., her civil rights - would it have happened with a white women? All that sort of stuff. Not just the medical implications, which are of course, considerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Gooners

Hi, what does anyone think of history project on workhouse in a town during the famine?
    Is that too far back?

Gooners wrote: »
    Hi, what does anyone think of history project on workhouse in a town during the famine?
    Is that too far back?

No it's not too far back and if it's your local town you can probably find some primary sources. Local and primary sources is exactly what the Chief Examiner asks for every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Gooners

spurious wrote: »
    No it's not too far back and if it's your local town you can probably find some primary sources. Local and primary sources is exactly what the Chief Examiner asks for every year.

I have been told minute books of Board of Governers are on file. What about parliamentary papers and evidence to boards of enquiry?

I have been told minute books of Board of Governers are on file. What about parliamentary papers and evidence to boards of enquiry?

All great stuff. If you make an appointment with local museums and the National Archives, they will get stuff out for you and have it ready.
    The more specific the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Is that too far back?
    Go for it, as spurious says, it's ideal for the history research project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

A lot of this type of stuff is online - go to the your local library's website and look for the 'local studies' section - they upload and link to a lot of relevent sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ADowling

I handed in my first draft of the history project, and my teacher said I need to include references. I'm not sure how to do it, do I pick out a few pieces in the essay I wrote that are directly from the books I used and then write the book's name, authors name and page number at the bottom of the page? He said I need at least 7

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

ADowling wrote: »
    I handed in my first draft of the history project, and my teacher said I need to include references. I'm not sure how to do it, do I pick out a few pieces in the essay I wrote that are directly from the books I used and then write the book's name, authors name and page number at the bottom of the page? He said I need at least 7

I had 6 different sources, so I just referenced in a similar manner to Wikipedia (I had originally given the pages and such, but my teacher informed me that simply giving the book/source itself would suffice, and I got 100/100 so it did :pac:). Just put a [1], or [4] after the sentence if you obtained the knowledge from that source.

Here's my essay, if you want an idea of what to do.

I had written down all the info from the books/articles I read with the page number next to them so I knew exactly where I got the info from. It's too late for you to do so, but you should be able to recall the source you used :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

ADowling wrote: »

There is no requirement to include references for individual quotes.

Advertisement