Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone recommendation €150-250

Options
  • 12-06-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new phone that combines my 4th gen iPod touch and mobile phone. The market seems absolutely saturated with smartphones so I'm not sure where to start. I'm not really familiar with all the features either like 3G etc.

I've had people tell me to ''skip the nonsense and just buy an iPhone'' but surely there has to be good phones for less than an arm and a leg?

• Features: good battery life, Apps
    • Form factor: touch screen
    • Internet: 3G + WiFi
    • Operator: PAYG meteor but I aim to transfer to PAYG Three.
    • Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free: I guess SIM-Free.
    • Price range: €150-250
    I'd just like a dynamic and dependable phone for less than €250. Although from this post it probably seems like I'm a technophobe, I do appreciate sophisticated technology.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sounds like the Moto G ticks all your boxes. They usually retail at around 200 but I've seen them going for as low as 160. Just get a sim free one online and put your sim in. You may need to check, though, what size your sim is before you buy (micro, mini, nano. etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

briany wrote: »
    Sounds like the Moto G ticks all your boxes. They usually retail at around 200 but I've seen them going for as low as 160. Just get a sim free one online and put your sim in. You may need to check, though, what size your sim is before you buy (micro, mini, nano. etc.).

Certainly looks like a solid recommendation. Very impressed with the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Try a nokia Lumia in that price range. Great phones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Certainly looks like a solid recommendation. Very impressed with the reviews.

If you can wait, the new Moto G is coming out soon.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    If you can wait, the new Moto G is coming out soon.

Is there any difference, besides the 4G?

• Advertisement

Is there any difference, besides the 4G?

Expandable memory would be the biggest difference, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What phone are you coming from op?

When you say apps, have you any ones you need?

Davy wrote: »
    What phone are you coming from op?

When you say apps, have you any ones you need?

I'm on a Blackberry curve at the minute which I'm not that pleased with.

I suppose there's not really any apps that I particularly need, besides the usual Viber/Whatsapp/Snapchat and a few others like the AIB app and Gmail. My iPod covered these but 4th gen support seems to be ceasing, and the battery life is pretty dreadful.

I'm on a Blackberry curve at the minute which I'm not that pleased with.

I suppose there's not really any apps that I particularly need, besides the usual Viber/Whatsapp/Snapchat and a few others like the AIB app and Gmail. My iPod covered these but 4th gen support seems to be ceasing, and the battery life is pretty dreadful.

a blackberry?! well then any phone will be a huge improvement.

Try taking a look at pandawill.com or etotalk.com

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Kevin Moran

A Nokia Lumia 625 would be a great shout. Well under your budget, 4G signal compatible, option for a removable memory card, fairly tough and good battery life. Windows Phone marketplace (app store) is growing at a fairly fast rate and all apps are vetted by Microsoft to weed out non-working/phishing apps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Almost anything is better than a BB at this stage. I'd have to echo the Moto G, although I'd suggest getting the SD card toting 4G version that was just released to maximise storage.

As for the Lumia 625, it's a solid phone but Windows is still lacking just enough apps here in Ireland to make it less appealing than Google/iOS. It isn't as much an issue in larger markets but banking and education/learning apps aren't as readily available for starters, and until that gap is narrowed it will have a limited appeal. Which is a pity as I've got a Lumia 520 and I like Windows 8.1 but it'll not be my main phone recommendation because of the above.

I appreciate all the input. I went with the Moto G in the end (although not the 4G version).

The performance seems consistent with all the reviews I looked up so I'm quite happy.

Advertisement