Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping packaging for warranty?

Options
  • 12-06-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all,
    anybody know if I need to keep packaging from electronics etc. in order to bring faulty/broken items back to a shop under warranty? Or would just the receipt suffice?

Too many boxes cluttering up the attic :P

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

smck99 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    anybody know if I need to keep packaging from electronics etc. in order to bring faulty/broken items back to a shop under warranty? Or would just the receipt suffice?

Too many boxes cluttering up the attic :P

Thanks in advance for any help!

Check the receipt it may state that the item must be in returnable condition with box.....I am open for correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're returning it for a 'no quibble' refund which some stores offer (but is not your legal right) then you almost certainly will need the original packaging. In those cases the store will typically insist that it's returned in mint condition and with all of the original packaging so that it can be resold.

If it's a bulky or delicate item then it can often make sense to keep the original packaging in case you need to return it for a warranty repair but there is nothing anywhere which says that you have to return an item in the original packaging to get it repaired under warranty.

For small items like mobile phones and gadgets, I usually keep the box if it has a label with the serial no. because if I'm selling it to a secondhand shop or in a private sale, the box reassures the buyer that it's not stolen.

Advertisement