Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC Religion 2014 ** Discussion/Predictions/Help

• 06-06-2014 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, I thought since there are so few of us that do leaving cert Religion, that we could all help one another in terms of how to do essays in certain sections etc.
    Predictions are welcome and if anybody needs notes/essays we can all get and exchange etc. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lizzmurph

Do you've any thoughts as to what might appear? The course is so long..there's just so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 C.kearney95

Hi, I thought since there are so few of us that do leaving cert Religion, that we could all help one another in terms of how to do essays in certain sections etc.
    Predictions are welcome and if anybody needs notes/essays we can all get and exchange etc. :)

Any predictions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AndreJasonUser

It's tough to predict because it's such a vast course and also so particular. It's driving me mental. This friday night I'm going to go through all the questions that have come up and determine the predictions. I'll post what I think may come up then...
    But everyone should try make an input.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rainydays212

Hey guys,
    For the small number of you who do religion, what are you all studying? I'm genuinely out of study mode and am finding it extremely difficult to study religion..anyone the same?

Same here! I've started looking at Section B and it's just not staying in my brain..it's so much to learn. I feel like it's hard to leave anything out because the smallest of things could come up :(

• Advertisement

lizzmurph wrote: »
    Same here! I've started looking at Section B and it's just not staying in my brain..it's so much to learn. I feel like it's hard to leave anything out because the smallest of things could come up :(

Exactly there is too much..I've only taken it up this year and plan on learning the course until the day of exam but It's too much effort :(

Do you know if it's difficult to get an A in religion? I get A's in most of my essay's but in the mock i got a C1, apparently it's hard to do well according to what I've heard. but i need at least a B1 in this. crap.

lizzmurph wrote: »
    Do you know if it's difficult to get an A in religion? I get A's in most of my essay's but in the mock i got a C1, apparently it's hard to do well according to what I've heard. but i need at least a B1 in this. crap.

All I've heard is they don't fail anyone..apparently. My friend got an a1 but she had been studying it for two years..I'm sure you can get a B though if you study relentlessly over the next few days but that's the problem, I want a a B aswell but I'm not motivated at all. So annoying it's the last day.

All I've heard is they don't fail anyone..apparently. My friend got an a1 but she had been studying it for two years..I'm sure you can get a B though if you study relentlessly over the next few days but that's the problem, I want a a B aswell but I'm not motivated at all. So annoying it's the last day.

I know I've lost all motivation at this stage, just want it over with. I'm just going to swim over some stuff when i feel like it and then the few days before hopefully I'll be forced to cram what's left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

I think religions one of the easier essay subjects! History was a ****ing pain. At least with religion once you have a general idea you can waffle for the rest. You probably have like 12-17% already going in. I've had exams every day since the first day and two exams Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday so I'm taking this weekend off but I'll probably just go over the finer details. And morality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ruanmcg

Any predictions for RE? Anyone's teacher said whats likely/unlikely?

Ruanmcg wrote: »
    Any predictions for RE? Anyone's teacher said whats likely/unlikely?

SPA seem unlikely. So do the Sophists. Hopefully not the later philosophers! I may just cry.

Nick_1494 wrote: »
    SPA seem unlikely. So do the Sophists. Hopefully not the later philosophers! I may just cry.

No aristotle? He was on our mocks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kmac16

I'd Aristotle is likely for Section. A. I also think that Just War/Child Labour/ Capital Punishment question might make an appearance on Section. D of the paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoajing

Anyone know what might come up on World Religions and Moral Decision Making? By the way, I have a feeling this year's paper gonna be slightly more difficult than last year's. There will probably be more of a prominent shift in style, away from questions where students can just regurgitate facts. More self-reflection, you know.

PS: Can anyone explain how to answer these type of questions --

"Identify cultural factors in contemporary society that can block the search for meaning."

and

"Give two examples of the contemporary phenomenon of indifference to the search for meaning."

If anyone's wondering where I got this from, it's the syllabus. Great way to answer some sample questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Milfhunter

yoajing wrote: »
    Anyone know what might come up on World Religions and Moral Decision Making? By the way, I have a feeling this year's paper gonna be slightly more difficult than last year's. There will probably be more of a prominent shift in style, away from questions where students can just regurgitate facts. More self-reflection, you know.

PS: Can anyone explain how to answer these type of questions --

"Identify cultural factors in contemporary society that can block the search for meaning."

and

"Give two examples of the contemporary phenomenon of indifference to the search for meaning."

If anyone's wondering where I got this from, it's the syllabus. Great way to answer some sample questions.

We did the first question is class. Its basically talking about how addiction (drugs, sex, alcahol) and depression etc can stop one from wanting to search for meaning in their lives. TBH If that came up in the exam I would just waffle on

Milfhunter wrote: »
    We did the first question is class. Its basically talking about how addiction (drugs, sex, alcahol) and depression etc can stop one from wanting to search for meaning in their lives. TBH If that came up in the exam I would just waffle on

I just found a sheet with an answer to both questions. Think I got it from one of the classes way back. smh. Your answer sounds defo easier to write than what my teacher suggested. She said to talk about ideology of secularism and radical individualism …. right … sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kmac16

I hope we get a straight-forward paper anyway. I think the Religion paper might be still be similar to other years as it isn't all learning off you have to use your thoughts to make your own introduction and conclusion. I think they are more trying to get away from regurgitating facts in common subjects such as Biology but then again I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AndreJasonUser

Hey guys, I know there is so much in the course to cover. But looking over the past exams, I haven't seen any questions come up twice in a row so if you really feel that you need to narrow things down, cut out the 2013 questions and focus on the questions that haven't come up in a good few years.

For example, last year:

-Search for meaning and values -
    ....Socrates
    ....Evidence of a contemporary sense of spirituality
    ....3 key people in the humanist tradition
    ....Secular humanism, atheism, agnosticism, reductionism.

-Christianity: Origins and contemporary Expressions-
    ....Thessalonica, Philippi or Corinth
    ...How is the contemporary founding vision seen in Christian worship today or outline the relationship between founding vision and the search for Christian unity.

-World Religions-
    ...Tabu, Totem, Mana, Shaman, Tabu

It's hard to narrow down, but go to papers in and around 2006-2010 and you can pretty much expect stuff from those areas to come up!

Eoin Jackson on Youtube has predicted the following:

Section A: Ancient myth & rites, modern experiences which raise Q's, the transcendant, religious practices, other philosophers (not Aristotle, plato or socrataes or humanists), development of philosophy and images of God.

Section B: Impact of the resurrection, images of jesus, jesus preaching of K.O.G, evidence of his existence, modern christian denomination, messianic expectations and luthers reforms.

if you want any of the other sections they're on his page on youtube :)

• Advertisement

I just found a sheet with an answer to both questions. Think I got it from one of the classes way back. smh. Your answer sounds defo easier to write than what my teacher suggested. She said to talk about ideology of secularism and radical individualism …. right … sure.

I think we were suppose to talk about the modern age being materialistic etc, I'm not 100% though as we have to finish this section in an extra class on Wednesday :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Milfhunter wrote: »
    I think we were suppose to talk about the modern age being materialistic etc, I'm not 100% though as we have to finish this section in an extra class on Wednesday :/
    Make sure you write that you use the username milfhunter when doing your religion exam. It'll go down well, trust me! :pac:

robman60 wrote: »
    Make sure you write that you use the username milfhunter when doing your religion exam. It'll go down well, trust me! :pac:

I will, I just hope the section E question in the real exam isn't based on feminism. It was in the mock and I almost lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Blackwrist

I'm just curious as to roughly how long the average answer should be in higher level religion. Is 1-2 A4 pages enough? How much detail does one need to go into?

Thanks

Blackwrist wrote: »
    I'm just curious as to roughly how long the average answer should be in higher level religion. Is 1-2 A4 pages enough? How much detail does one need to go into?

Thanks

Usually once you have everything in your fine. For an 80 mark, we've always been told 3-4 pages. 40 is 1 1/2 - 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Blackwrist

Nick_1494 wrote: »

What later philosophers are on the course?

Nietzche and Decartes I think?

The Christian philosophers, neitsczhe, marxs, Camus, Sartre and Descartes. I think that's it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RHardy

Hey guys does any idea on to time the exam? It's hard because some questions are short, some are long....

• Advertisement

RHardy wrote: »
    Hey guys does any idea on to time the exam? It's hard because some questions are short, some are long....

Think of it this way… 15 minutes per page.

UNIT ONE - 80 marks = 30 minutes

UNIT TWO - 160 marks = 60 minutes (or 30 mins per section)

UNIT THREE - 80 marks = 30 minutes.

Advertisement