Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Hire - Insurance Query

Options
  • 12-06-2014 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

We're going to be in Tennessee in September for a trip and I am a smidge confused about insurance for the car we'll be renting. Is Collision Damage Waiver the one I'm after or is there something else, do I need to insure seperately against damage caused by collision and damage caused to the car another way?

Not at all planning on damaging the car but don't want to underdo the insurance and, I dunno, swerve into a ditch in a panic to avoid a bear (obviously these are every day occurrences in Tennessee) and ending up owing a car hire company my wages for the next 2 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

This gives a run down of the various insurance offers on US hire cars if that helps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_rental#Insurance_.2F_waivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It really does :) Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If you're not aware of it, there are a number of places selling "car hire excess insurance". You pay an annual fee of, say, €50, and then if you end up having to claim on car hire insurance, they pay the excess, which can often be very high on rental cars.

I haven't used it myself, as I don't rent cars very often, but a family member has got good value out of it when a rental was scraped while parked over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Having your own insurance will save a significant amount on your rental. CDW are usually up to 100% of the daily rate. Annual car hire excess cover is well worth it.

Advertisement