Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has work on new Central Bank Spencer Dock started?

Options
  • 12-06-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

I can see a few diggers beside it collecting clay & some workmen over there.
    I guess if it's to be finished for Q2 or Q3 of 2016 they'd need to get a move on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

I saw some guys in high visibility vests and hat hard ons standing on top of it around this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Itsallrelative

I work opposite and can't see any movement at the mo. The fencing around it has been replaced in the last week or so though!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

They seem to be digging a trench around the back of the building. Seen diggers at work there the last two days

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

They were still working on the fence this morning, but I couldn't see anyone actually working inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Extract from yesterdays Sunday Indo Commercial Property Section. Interesting to see how this area is now being talked up as it is right next door to the New Central Bank .

Prime Docklands offices up for rent
    Peter Flanagan
    PUBLISHED 22/06/2014|02:30SHARE

Block B Castleforbes House
    JLL are seeking tenants for what is being described as "excellent" office space in the heart of Dublin's docklands.

Aishling O'Hanlon and Daragh Sheehan have been retained as agents for Block B, Castleforbes House on Mayor Street. The accommodation available in the complex comprises 6,460 sq ft in total, which is located on the second floor (3,186 sq ft), third (2,443 sq ft) and fifth floor (831 sq ft).

JLL are quoting €18 per sq ft on the accommodation, available to let on a floor- by-floor basis. Underground parking is also available.

"These proposed developments will further attract large corporate occupiers to locate in the Docklands, which is continuing its renaissance as a trendy and stylish area of the city for those who want to be located close to work as well as pleasure," said JLL.

"Recent news in the media has highlighted that this part of Dublin 1 will be set for a hive of activity.

"Dublin City Council have now agreed to fast track construction along the riverside given the emerging growth in demand for high-end office space as well as much-needed residential accommodation," the agents added.

Amenities and facilities to enjoy in the area include the Bord Gais Theatre, events in the National Convention Centre and SurfDock, as well as an abundant mix of restaurants and bars to choose from.

Additionally, excellent transport links are on its doorstep, including the Red Line LUAS which runs by Castleforbes House, The Port Tunnel and Samuel Beckett Bridge, as well as the Dublin City Bike Scheme.

On top of that, two new pedestrian and cycle bridges across the Liffey are planned for Forbes Street and New Wapping Street, and from Sir John Rogerson's Quay to Castleforbes Street.

Sunday Indo Business
    -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Planning permission had been submitted for a new style facade to the empty Anglo shell earlier this year. Not sure if it has yet been granted.

Herald link below shows what it will look like on completion. The jury is out for me as to whether I like this look. I think I'd prefer a sleeker glassier looking building.

It will be great to see the vacant sites on either side getting developed also to give proper uniformity to the quays all the way down to the O2 (similar to what the south docks look like).

http://www.herald.ie/news/public-plaza-big-part-of-140m-central-bank-project-29986384.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

subpar wrote: »
    two new pedestrian and cycle bridges across the Liffey are planned for Forbes Street and New Wapping Street, and from Sir John Rogerson's Quay to Castleforbes Street.

Really?

Looks like NAMA are going to push the development of the North Docklands area.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Tenders are starting to be awarded for the construction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

subpar wrote: »
    Looks like NAMA are going to push the development of the North Docklands area.

The Dublin City Council SDZ Plan may help also, when it's released. It's just been through the An Bord Pleanala process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

kceire wrote: »
    The Dublin City Council SDZ Plan may help also, when it's released. It's just been through the An Bord Pleanala process.

...and unfortunately its a massive disappointment.

It severely limits density, which is problematic when trying to create a lively urban quarter where people actually want to live/work/play. Not to mention the fact that they aspire to an avg height of 5 stories for office buildings which does little to address the shortage of space in sustainable way, and creates the character of a mediocre industrial estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

greyed wrote: »

It severely limits density, which is problematic when trying to create a lively urban quarter where people actually want to live/work/play. Not to mention the fact that they aspire to an avg height of 5 stories for office buildings which does little to address the shortage of space in sustainable way, and creates the character of a mediocre industrial estate.
    I like how the reports of the plan calls for office space for 45,000 people, and only 2600 new apartments. What a waste - enjoy that commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Any link to the plan?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Really?

It was in the SDZ plan but I haven't seen anything concrete(excuse the pun) suggesting that it's happening soon.
    Any link to the plan?

For the Central Bank building or the SDZ? I haven't got a link to it right now but Google 'Dublin docklands SDZ'. It should be on the DCC website.

I agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It's daft really. You can walk through the IFSC outside of office hours and the place is dead and soulless. The last thing the Docklands needs is IFSC mark 2.

They should really be allowing 20 storey high office and apartment blocks down on the waterfront and then have the graded back to 15 stories, 10 stories, etc the further inland they go. But I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Thing is, this is what I reckon the general population want, yet they are unaware of the goings on regarding these developments. They are pleased to hear "Dublin's canary wharf" bandied about, but do not realise that the people making these claims are nothing short of delusional and the reality couldn't be more different.

These authority figures are so out of touch. They seem far too attached to their image of dublin-of-yesteryear, very much to the detriment of its future.

High density supports economic activity, people are more inclined to spend in businesses local to them, and businesses more inclined to set up close a large customer base. Size is what gives a city life, economies of scale! Dublin is a great city capable of nurturing growth, but its getting kicked in the stomach by people who think anything of scale will offend the eyes of those miles around. It is a shame and quality of life will suffer for it.

Some very good news at last.

Linham to build new Central Bank HQ
    Wednesday, November 12 11:53:41

Dublin-based Linham Construction is to turn the part-build Liffey-side building that had been bought by Anglo Irish as its new HQ in to an ultra-modern new home for the Central Bank.
    Located in North Wall Quay in Dublin's Docklands, the building is expected to cost around E140m and will contain the very latest eco-build innovations.
    The 30,000 sq m building can house 1,400 staff and contains a range of open floor office areas and meeting rooms.
    The Central Bank defended its new offices as appropriate. "The facilities and finishes have been designed to a standard sufficient to provide a fit-for-purpose working environment," it said.
    "The emphasis of design is on addressing the environmental challenges of solar glare and heat, maximising operational efficiencies and value for money."
    Frank Flynn, M.D of Linham Construction said he is proud to be part of the team that will create an iconic, landmark city centre building.
    "This particular building project will attract considerable public interest and the eyes of the nation are sure to be on it when it is finally unveiled as the new HQ for the Central Bank. To win the contract is a strong endorsement of our ability to deliver work and services to the highest standards. Linham Construction is engaged on the enabling works for the site. The whole construction project is expected to be completed by the end of 2015, with Central Bank staff moving from their current Dame Street location to the Docklands in 2016," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I wonder if theres any chance of them knocking that godawful Central Bank building on Dame Street?

Make it into a nice little park or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

I wonder if theres any chance of them knocking that godawful Central Bank building on Dame Street?

Make it into a nice little park or something?

I really like that building - I think it fits nicely where it is. There is talk of the Dublin City Library moving there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    I really like that building - I think it fits nicely where it is. There is talk of the Dublin City Library moving there.

I did a tour there during Open House and someone asked that question about it becoming a library. The architect giving the tour said she didn't think that the building would safely sustain the extra weight of that many physical books and other items, however if it were mostly a digital library then perhaps. In other words, probably not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The article posted above reads like Linham Construction are carrying out the entire €140m project, they are not, they are just doing enabling works.

The former Colaiste Mhuire building on Parnell Square has already been earmarker for the new City Library. Not sure how the building would live up to modern safety regulations as regards escape stairs and the like anyway.

The existing Central Bank building is an impressive feat of engineering but looks totally out of place in the cities historic core, it looks very dated so doesnt even set itself apart by looking modern. Demolishing it and creating a plaza would be great and it would become a real hive of activity. The city really needs a high quality public space and this would be a perfect central location.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭sleepyman

Saw a few lads putting up what appears to be cladding on this in the last few days.

Good to see work has restarted on the New Headquarters Building for the Central Bank.

There was further very positives news out yesterday regarding the large adjoining site. Between these two massive developments the area will be transformer over the next 3 years.

Sean Mulryan's Ballymore Group is expected to partner with a Singapore developer to build nearly 650,000 sq ft of office space in the centre of Dublin.

Nama has chosen Singapore's Oxley Holdings as the preferred bidder for a 2.35-hectare site at 72-80 North Wall Quay, next to the proposed new HQ of the Central Bank.

The agreement will see Oxley buy a long leasehold interest with the right to develop and manage and sell the site. Nama will retain the freehold.

Oxley has been working with Ballymore in London as development partners on the huge Royal Wharf development there.

Following on from that relationship, it is understood that Ballymore and Oxley will work together to develop the Dublin site.

As part of Oxley's plans, the company will develop about 645,000 sq ft of office space which would hold about 5,500 workers.

The company will also construct 200 apartments there.

Oxley will submit a planning application early next year with construction set to begin by the start of 2016.

This is Oxley's first investment in Ireland. The firm beat off five other bidders including Irish and international developers. The tender process itself was known as "Project Wave".

The North Wall Quay site is located within "Block 8" of the Docklands Strategic Development Zone (SDZ) Planning Scheme and has been designated under the SDZ as a block with a "focus on employment", Nama said.

Nama's chief executive, Brendan McDonagh, said the deal will "facilitate the provision of much-needed high-quality Grade A office space that will lead to further job creation, investment and economic activity in the Dublin Docklands, while maximising the value of this site for Nama".

Oxley chief executive Ching Chiat Kwong said his firm was "delighted by the opportunity to invest in Ireland and to deliver a top quality commercial and residential development in Dublin".

Nama has retained the freehold on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

It is going to be April 2015, at the earliest, before construction starts on the Central Bank of Ireland building.

Good news about a plan for the wasteland around the CBI building. Still it will apparently probably be early 2016 before construction starts there.

Exciting years ahead for the Docklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Great to see movement on projects in the Docklands, this along with the Bolands Mill and Hanover Quay developments will really transform the area. Having said that, I have two concerns;

Firstly, the abundance of office space and lack of apartments, the place could be dead at night. We really need to see the development of some good quality apartment blocks down there to house all these workers. Rents are crazy already without adding thousands more well paid workers, do we expect half the workers in the city to commute from the midlands?

The second issue, and it touches on what I mentioned above, is transport. The city is being choked with traffic as it is, the red line is very susceptible to disruption and the Darts are already packed. We really need to get the ball rolling on Dart Underground to increase the capacity of the network and to deliver people directly to where they need to go. In other countries, they build the public transport first and then build office space around that which works out far cheaper in the long run.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Firstly, the abundance of office space and lack of apartments, the place could be dead at night. We really need to see the development of some good quality apartment blocks down there to house all these workers. Rents are crazy already without adding thousands more well paid workers, do we expect half the workers in the city to commute from the midlands?

The 5 Hanover Quay development will have apartments. Construction due to start April 2015.

The Boland Mill development will have apartments. Construction due to start early next year.

The 76 Sir John Rodgerson Quay development will have apartments. Construction due to start early next year.

The Hibernian REIT Windmill Lane development will have apartments.

The 72-80 North Wall Quay development will have apartments. Construction due to start aprox. January 2016.

Apartments will be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why have they restricted height so much? It's going to look boringly flat.

Why have they restricted height so much? It's going to look boringly flat.

The height restrictions were well overblown by the commercial real estate brigade. There will be multiple tall buildings and multiple buildings with a hight square footage.

The Bolands Mill development will be 14 stories high.

The Central Bank of Ireland building will be 37,000 square meters and consists of 8 stories.

The Kennedy Wilson Sir John Rogerson Quay development, when it gets off the ground, will have 18 stories.

I think the heigh restrictions at 5 Hanover Quay and 6-8 Hanover Quay made sense given the proximity to other buildings.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

JTMan wrote: »
    The Kennedy Wilson Sir John Rogerson Quay development, when it gets off the ground, will have 18 stories.

Which is ridiculous.
    There will be multiple tall buildings and multiple buildings with a hight square footage.

If you restrict 'tall' as 15 storeys and 'multiple' as 2-3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The Hibernian REIT Windmill Lane development will have apartments.
    When does the above start being built?

Advertisement