Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sailing the royle canal.

• 12-06-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Me an my friends have had the great idea to buy rafts from lidl and paddle are way from kilcock to maynooth. Is there anything we need to know like do we have to have a license or something like that and what about dieses and what should we bring.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Paddle away :D wear a buoyancy aid and sun screen it's also a good idea to carry some warm clothes in a sealed bag. The chance of getting weil's disease is very low but don't go drinking the water "bring your own" and don't eating the grass on the bank :D
    Be safe and use your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jcourtney2000

fergal.b wrote: »
    Paddle away :D wear a buoyancy aid and sun screen it's also a good idea to carry some warm clothes in a sealed bag. The chance of getting weil's disease is very low but don't go drinking the water "bring your own" and don't eating the grass on the bank :D
    Be safe and use your head.

thanks theres about 8 of us and were buying them in lidl for €40 each. ill bring a couple of towels because one of my friends is bound to strip down and jump in. has anyone any experience with the inflatable boats in lidl i am assuming there crap and will sink halfway down. any one else know anything we should bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The stretch from Maynooth to Kilcock is nice. Just carry the boats around the locks and wear buoyancy aids in case you go for a swim. A flask of tea/coffee with some biscuits will make your day. Insect repellent might also be wanted.

The stretch from Maynooth to Kilcock is nice. Just carry the boats around the locks and wear buoyancy aids in case you go for a swim. A flask of tea/coffee with some biscuits will make your day. Insect repellent might also be wanted.

Thanks. There is only 1 lock In between but we'll get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

thanks theres about 8 of us and were buying them in lidl for €40 each. ill bring a couple of towels because one of my friends is bound to strip down and jump in. has anyone any experience with the inflatable boats in lidl i am assuming there crap and will sink halfway down. any one else know anything we should bring.

The boats should be fine (maybe you can link to the specific ones you are buying) there is no reason why they should sink half way down (they should be fit for purpose remember, according to the law)

I suggest you google and buy a waterproof zip bag for your phone, wallet etc in case you capsize.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oh and a buoyancy aid is VERY important.

vicwatson wrote: »
    The boats should be fine (maybe you can link to the specific ones you are buying) there is no reason why they should sink half way down (they should be fit for purpose remember, according to the law)

I suggest you google and buy a waterproof zip bag for your phone, wallet etc in case you capsize.

Yeh I've already thought for the phone and a normal plastic food bag tied tightly works fine and if you leave air inside it floats and you can still use the touch screen through it.

does anyone know about the slurry that was put in the canal and where it was put in

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

This might be more of a worry than the slurry, Flesh-eating bug in the Royal and Grand Canals http://www.newstalk.ie/Swimmers-warned-of-flesheating-bug-in-Dublins-Grand-Canal :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

ewwww... salt water ftw

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    This might be more of a worry than the slurry, Flesh-eating bug in the Royal and Grand Canals

need to lose a bit of weigh anyway ayyy. Haha but no thats gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 perth112

Thanks. There is only 1 lock In between but we'll get out.

Two locks actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

So, did you do it and how did you get on???

Advertisement