Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steering Problems with Opel Corsa 2007

Options
  • 12-06-2014 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, I hope someone can help. My wife recently sold her 2007 Opel Corsa, which she had from new. The new owners contacted her to say that they had nearly crashed as the steering wheel had locked whilst driving it. We never had any problems.

When we contacted Opel, they confirmed that the power steering motor had "failed", and would need to be replaced at a cost of nearly €2,000. When I asked what normally would contribute to the power steering motor failing, I was told they had never seen one fail. It was brought to our attention by the new owners that there had been a recall issued to all Opel corsa drivers in the uk for steering problems. However we never received any such recall, and according to opel, they did not issue one here in Ireland.

We only had the car nct'd in March, and always had the car serviced through a friend of ours, so we know the car was fine.

I would be very grateful if someone could help with the following;

1 - Should Opel be obliged to fix the problem as it represents a health and safety issue( is it good enough to say that because no recall was issued here in Ireland, then not one of the Opel Corsa's sold here could have the same fault as was identified with some cars in the UK)
    2 - Has anyone had any similar problems? If so, what was the outcome?

3 - Any additional advice would be very much welcomed

We used to think that Opel was a very reputable brand, and would stand over its product. However, after this experience, I would find it difficult to recommend them. I am strongly considering going public due to the treatment, and lack of customer service, and total refusal to help with what is obviously a mechanical fault with the car.

Thank you for listening!!

Derek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't know why you're this concerned over something you've zero obligation to stand over - private sales are done on a caveat emptor basis.

If you can show Opel Ireland the VOSA recall for the component/system in question there may be some comeback, otherwise its a seven year old car and things fail. In particularly, Electronic PAS motors wear out, usually there's an obvious sign such as crunching noises when turning, but not always. A failure after 7 years of usage is in no way obviously a manufacturing fault.

The only VOSA recalls for an 07 Corsa I can find for steering does not cover the PAS motor at all though: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=A92E642A4A49D77680257275003CF45F&freeText=Blank&tx=
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=EAD8B212152AB57D8025739400394F95&freeText=Blank&tx=

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You shouldn't be getting involved in this - the purchasers inspected the car and they purchased it. it was a private sale and the term "caveat emptor" applies.

I genuinely don't know why you've been in contact with Opel, that's the responsibility of the new owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

She nearly crashed. So in reality she's fine. It's got nothing to do with you. If there's a recall on the PS pump the new owner should take it up with opel. The campaigns last for the life of the car no matter who owns it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MYOB wrote: »
    I don't know why you're this concerned over something you've zero obligation to stand over - private sales are done on a caveat emptor basis.

If you can show Opel Ireland the VOSA recall for the component/system in question there may be some comeback, otherwise its a seven year old car and things fail. In particularly, Electronic PAS motors wear out, usually there's an obvious sign such as crunching noises when turning, but not always. A failure after 7 years of usage is in no way obviously a manufacturing fault.

The only VOSA recalls for an 07 Corsa I can find for steering does not cover the PAS motor at all though: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=A92E642A4A49D77680257275003CF45F&freeText=Blank&tx=
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=EAD8B212152AB57D8025739400394F95&freeText=Blank&tx=
    dudara wrote: »
    You shouldn't be getting involved in this - the purchasers inspected the car and they purchased it. it was a private sale and the term "caveat emptor" applies.

I genuinely don't know why you've been in contact with Opel, that's the responsibility of the new owners.

Caveat emptor doesn't cover dangerous vehicles, proving it was dangerous when sold is the other persons problem.

That's the legislation for commercial sale, dealers basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would assume that the sellers sold in good faith without knowing it's condition. Secondly , I believe that act covers the sale of goods to consumers, not private sales between individuals (See section 4). I stand open to correction, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

A. It's not your problem, tell them this and advise you sold the car in good faith.

Rather than discuss it further just repeat this line and don't involve yourself further with going to Opel etc.

B. A failed power steering pump does not cause you to almost crash, it just means the power assist doesn't work and the steering is heaver than normal.

Honestly if they didn't notice the weird high pitched sound while turning the steering wheel or just simply ignored it that I don't really have sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

That's the legislation for commercial sale, dealers basically.
    It applies to every sale, not just dealer sales, where a buyer is not a dealer themselves. The only exception is when both parties sign a fair and reasonable agreement that the car is not to be used in its present condition.
    Where a regulation only applies to dealer sales the wording a "person whose business it is to deal in motor vehicles" is used to describe the seller (eg Sect 13.4).

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0013.html#sec13
    (2) Without prejudice to any other condition or warranty, in every contract for the sale of a motor vehicle (except a contract in which the buyer is a person whose business it is to deal in motor vehicles) there is an implied condition that at the time of delivery of the vehicle under the contract it is free from any defect which would render it a danger to the public, including persons travelling in the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It applies to every sale, not just dealer sales, where a buyer is not a dealer themselves. The only exception is when both parties sign a fair and reasonable agreement that the car is not to be used in its present condition.
    Where a regulation only applies to dealer sales the wording a "person whose business it is to deal in motor vehicles" is used to describe the seller (eg Sect 13.4).

The point being that it is only valid if the seller knew about the defect, which in not valid in this case and even if they did know it is almost impossible to prove.

The entire act applies only when sales are made "in course of a business" though. Businesses who are not motor dealers do sell vehicles occasionally, that is the only reason for that clause being used.

• Advertisement

The point being that it is only valid if the seller knew about the defect, which in not valid in this case and even if they did know it is almost impossible to prove.
    You've got it backwards. It is only invalid if both the seller and the buyer know about the defect. There is no exemption for the seller's ignorance of the car's condition.

The entire act applies only when sales are made "in course of a business" though. Businesses who are not motor dealers do sell vehicles occasionally, that is the only reason for that clause being used.
    Where does it say that? Where an article only applies to business or consumer contract that is explicitly stated.

Where does it say that? Where an article only applies to business or consumer contract that is explicitly stated.

The definition of consumer states that you are not one, for the terms of the Act, when the seller is not a business.

This then means that every other clause relating to consumer is completely and utterly irrelevant, as you aren't one.

If you can find any legal opinion suggesting the contrary, please do provide it.

Advertisement