Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical lighting problem

Options
  • 12-06-2014 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi.
    My aunt has a really old light fitting.for so many years . No problem.
    But recently its been blowing 60w edison globes. They blew at different times.

I suggested buying expensive energy saving bulbs cause she was buying standard ones.

I had a look at the connections in the attic and used a multimeter which read 234v when on and..23v when off.
    Is this the cause? Is this a back feed or wha.
    All help much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

How long on average are the bulbs lasting op as certain makes have very low hour life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JP838557

From what my aunt said; before they would last a week , now it could be 2-3 days...

Where is she buying them and what brand are they?

To be honest , I didnt read into that too much but i know she was buying 2 euro ones and I recommend she the energy saver ones with are more expensive but would probably suit such a problem, they are currently in , and we are waiting to see if they go again.
    I was more concerned about the reading off 24v when the light switch was in the OFF position

Dont be concerned about that at all, is it from a €2 store by any chance she is buying them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

The low voltage in off position is quite possibly due to induction. You may be simply measuring an induced voltage with no available current.

adrian92 wrote: »
    The low voltage in off position is quite possibly due to induction. You may be simply measuring an induced voltage with no available current.

So do you reckon. Its just the fitting thats faulty that keeps blowing the bulb s

Advertisement