Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco jumped up security gaurds

Options
  • 12-06-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

So finished work today got payed and wanted to treat myself to a new razor and electric toothbrush.
    So in a pop into tesco extra in a certain town. Browsing through the range of razors when I see the different price range of them and zone in on two particular types. So I search for the corresponding price but it's hard to find as there's lots off different offers so I look to the barcodes for a indication.
    Anyways find the one I want and go around to the toothbrush section and compare which I'm looking for.
    Find the one I'm on my way to the cash desk aka the pharmacy is closest. They can't open the security devices so I head back down the aisle where I i find the security gaurd looking at the area I'm after being.
    Without further ado infront of every one out he comes with" is there a reason you where at these " I said there is I'm buying them. " well what are u doing at the barcode. To which I reply trying to find out the price. " well that's the barcode ur not allowed at them what where u planning.
    I just kept walking to the check out where I took out my money and payed for my items.
    Thinking about it now the check of the security gaurd what did he think I was doing. I was in my work cloths.
    I'm seriously discussed if he was trying to insinuate something
    Who do I go to tesco????
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

You were acting suspiciously - albeit innocently - and he was doing his job by asking what you were doing

What exactly is there to complain about here? Or are you just upset that innocent-old-you could ever be accused of doing something wrong? He doesn't know you from Joe Soap, and was fully within his right to question your motives.

Just because you weren't doing anything wrong doesn't mean he was wrong to question you

Get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

He had no authority to question you whatsoever ......... if he thought you were acting suspiciously he can keep an eye on you in that oh so subtle way only a supermarket security guard can and he can radio the camera lad to follow you but it's unprofessional of him to directly question you with no evidence (there can't be any evidence if you didn't steal anything) so I would have told him to "f**k off!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

TBH what you were doing sounds well weird, chalk it up to a learning experience on what not to do in supermarkets, or anywhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What is suspicious about looking at barcodes? Tesco have barcode scanner for this purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

What is suspicious about looking at barcodes? Tesco have barcode scanner for this purpose.

Would have to agree with the above.
    This guy was way out of order & should be reported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Daemos wrote: »
    Just because you weren't doing anything wrong doesn't mean he was wrong to question you

Flawless logic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Speak to the manager of the shop. We can't help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Phew that was a close shave....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

By the "barcode", I can't help but wonder did the OP mean the shelf-edge labelling (which also have barcodes). If so, then the story makes (a tiny) bit more sense.

OP - unfortunately, your telling of the story is muddled to say the least so people can only really speculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Reported to who and for what?

• Advertisement

MadDog76 wrote: »
    He had no authority to question you whatsoever ......... if he thought you were acting suspiciously he can keep an eye on you in that oh so subtle way only a supermarket security guard can and he can radio the camera lad to follow you but it's unprofessional of him to directly question you with no evidence (there can't be any evidence if you didn't steal anything) so I would have told him to "f**k off!"
    No Authority to ask a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Razors are pricey items and a prime target for shoplifters. Acting odd around them in a shop is always going to bring you to the attention of a security guard. He was just doing his job, it was not personal so don't let it be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Uriel. wrote: »
    And who gave you authority to ask a question here?

Let's be real. In almost any circumstances, a person may ask you a question. There are two further things to be said:
    1. In most circumstances, you are not obliged to answer.
    2. A question should not be asked in such a way as to suggest to any onlooker that the person being questioned had done something wrong.

And who gave you authority to ask a question here?

Let's be real. In almost any circumstances, a person may ask you a question. There are two further things to be said:
    1. In most circumstances, you are not obliged to answer.
    2. A question should not be asked in such a way as to suggest to any onlooker that the person being questioned had done something wrong.

I think you completely misread the tone of my post tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Uriel. wrote: »

That is correct .......... that Tesco employee had absolutely no authority to confront a Tesco customer with an accusatory set of interrogation-like questions

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

That is correct .......... that Tesco employee had absolutely no authority to confront a Tesco customer with an accusatory set of interrogation-like questions

So guys after the dust has settled do I go back into the manager and air my views or do I leave it.
    So everybody is aware I was checking the barcode along with the matching price on the shelf as there where maybe 5 similar products with similar names nothing else

According to the OP he asked one question. Didn't seem to be interrogation like to me.

He has the "authority" to ask what he likes. Just like the OP had the "authority" to answer as he liked

burke027 wrote: »
    So guys after the dust has settled do I go back into the manager and air my views or do I leave it.
    So everybody is aware I was checking the barcode along with the matching price on the shelf as there where maybe 5 similar products with similar names nothing else

That's up to you.

If it was me I'd be finding something more to be worried about and something better to be spending my time on.

To me all of this sounds like nonsense and represents a situation of someone taking offence far too easily

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

burke027 wrote: »

I'd mention it to the manager the next time you're in, but I wouldn't make a special trip for it. There are two issues that you want to bring to their attention. The first is that the labelling in that area is poor, causing you to have to root around for pricing in the first place. The second issue was that a security guard questioned what you were doing there, rather than offering to help you find the price. His tone was inappropriate, particularly in front of other people, and you feel the manager should know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If security guards can't even ask questions then the world has gone mad.

In saying that, it does seem like he overreacted in this instance (imo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The best approach is to say : can I help you with something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The best approach is to say : can I help you with something?

I hate that crap, I prefer if they are just direct and say what they mean.

Then I can answer their question directly rather than wonder what the question is about and waste more time on something that wasn't an issue in the first place.

Saves everyone a lot of time.

IMO the general Irish public are way too sensitive about these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You can't / shouldn't do that for potential legal reasons.
    It's also just lousy customer care too. You don't want a situation where a customer is going around badmouthing your business because someone's accused them in the wrong in public either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

security guards can't just go around insinuating that someone is a shoplifter just for checking a barcode to make sure they know what the correct price is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Eh? Reported? He was an officious prat, but he doesn't deserve to be hauled up before the manager for doing his job, even if he was being silly. Jobs are hard to come by!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

Was he "Paul blart" or just rent a cop?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I hate that crap, I prefer if they are just direct and say what they mean.

Then I can answer their question directly rather than wonder what the question is about and waste more time on something that wasn't an issue in the first place.

Saves everyone a lot of time.

IMO the general Irish public are way too sensitive about these things.

What response was the security guard looking for? "I was in the process of shoplifting but you've put me off now".

If he has to approach the customer to ask the customer what he/she is doing, he's not doing his job properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What I love is the idea that "you're not allowed to look at the barcodes".

Years ago, I was trying to work out a good shopping list and so have my groceries cost roughly the same every week, and a manager (this was in the days before shops had security guards) came up and challenged me, thinking that I was writing prices down in my notebook because i was spying for another shop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What response was the security guard looking for? "I was in the process of shoplifting but you've put me off now".

If he has to approach the customer to ask the customer what he/she is doing, he's not doing his job properly.

A person that gets caught out will have no answer, or a wrong/bad one.

Advertisement