Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco jumped up security gaurds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

A person that gets caught out will have no answer, or a wrong/bad one.

I would have thought an actual shoplifter would be better prepared for a conversation with security staff. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I would have thought an actual shoplifter would be better prepared for a conversation with security staff. :D

The answer is more like:

AHH JAYSUS BUD I JUS DIDN WANNA GET A FOOKIN BASKETH.. SO I HAD IH IN ME PACKETS.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Where there is blame, there is a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Uriel. wrote: »
    According to the OP he asked one question. Didn't seem to be interrogation like to me.

He has the "authority" to ask what he likes. Just like the OP had the "authority" to answer as he liked

According to the OP he asked three accusatory questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I have never been confronted by a security guard but have similar experiences to the OP - happened a couple of times in Tesco.

Sometimes when I am shopping for something I normally don't purchase I end up comparing prices. Tesco's can be a nightmare as there are 4/5 options for each product. Anyways whatever way I shop I seem to grab the attention of these security guards - it is very easy to spot them.

Recently I was in Heatons in a different town - a store I am not familiar with so ended up taking ages checking things out. As I was going to the till I was nearly jumped on by a security guard. I think she was disappointed when I toke out my debit card to pay.

Sometimes I wonder is a security guard's day made when they catch someone?

Do stores like Tesco's not realise how uncomfortable these situations can be for loyal customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

You could report the security guard to the manager or ring there customer care line. Not sure what you would feel should be done to the security guard???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Hahahaha why are you so upset. You acted suspiciously, lingering around the razors, taking them for a walk to a quiet closed part of the shop to try and remove the security tag before returning for more, he asked you what you were doing and you went home and had a little cry about it.

Give the guy a break, he probably gets in to LOADS of trouble when stuff goes missing and rubbers, batteries and razors are some of the most common things that people steal.

If you complain, he will be dragged in to the office for doing what he is paid to do.

Maybe just ask a shop assistant the price next time. And use a basket if you were holding stuff wearing baggy clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

odckdo wrote: »

Do stores like Tesco's not realise how uncomfortable these situations can be for loyal customers?

Tesco doesn't give a purplepotatopinacolada about you at all. They sell nothing but plop in packets. I stopped shopping there 8 years ago and I still enjoy driving by with a smile knowing that my 40+ grand has been spent in Irish shops supporting friendly irish people, instead of a colonial business. I never liked their poor excuse of meat anyway.

• Advertisement

househero wrote: »
    Tesco doesn't give a purplepotatopinacolada about you at all. They sell nothing but plop in packets. I stopped shopping there 8 years ago and I still enjoy driving by with a smile knowing that my 40+ grand has been spent in Irish shops supporting friendly irish people, instead of a colonial business. I never liked their poor excuse of meat anyway.

If only you had shopped in Tesco, you might have only spent 39 grand .......... every little helps!! ;)

collie0708 wrote: »
    You could report the security guard to the manager or ring there customer care line. Not sure what you would feel should be done to the security guard???

He could told that it is not appropriate to confront a customer in an accusatory manner without any concrete evidence and be trained at how to professionally deal with these situations in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

odckdo wrote: »
    I have never been confronted by a security guard but have similar experiences to the OP - happened a couple of times in Tesco.

Sometimes when I am shopping for something I normally don't purchase I end up comparing prices. Tesco's can be a nightmare as there are 4/5 options for each product. Anyways whatever way I shop I seem to grab the attention of these security guards - it is very easy to spot them.

Recently I was in Heatons in a different town - a store I am not familiar with so ended up taking ages checking things out. As I was going to the till I was nearly jumped on by a security guard. I think she was disappointed when I toke out my debit card to pay.

Sometimes I wonder is a security guard's day made when they catch someone?

Yes, its what they are they for!! I assume youve never worked in retail and had an experience where some scumbag has robbed from the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Daemos wrote: »
    You were acting suspiciously - albeit innocently - and he was doing his job by asking what you were doing

What exactly is there to complain about here? Or are you just upset that innocent-old-you could ever be accused of doing something wrong? He doesn't know you from Joe Soap, and was fully within his right to question your motives.

Just because you weren't doing anything wrong doesn't mean he was wrong to question you

Get over it

Sorry burt you are wrong he had no right to approach the o/p at bthis point.

He could be accussed of false arrest just by approaching the and questioning the o/p!

Uriel. wrote: »
    According to the OP he asked one question. Didn't seem to be interrogation like to me.

He has the "authority" to ask what he likes. Just like the OP had the "authority" to answer as he liked

Sorry but you arw wrong!

It can be classed as false arrest and lead to his company paying out a large amount of compo to the approached shopper.

He was their to observe and take action only if he was 100% sure of consealment/theft which he can act on only outside of the store!!

Hahahaha why are you so upset. You acted suspiciously, lingering around the razors, taking them for a walk to a quiet closed part of the shop to try and remove the security tag before returning for more, he asked you what you were doing and you went home and had a little cry about it.

Give the guy a break, he probably gets in to LOADS of trouble when stuff goes missing and rubbers, batteries and razors are some of the most common things that people steal.

If you complain, he will be dragged in to the office for doing what he is paid to do.

Maybe just ask a shop assistant the price next time. And use a basket if you were holding stuff wearing baggy clothes.

Security do not get into trouble if stuff goes missing.

Most stores actively want gaurds in place as a deterrant only and will ask gaurds not to make a fuss!

Silly and pointless IMO.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Sorry but you arw wrong!

It can be classed as false arrest and lead to his company paying out a large amount of compo to the approached shopper.

He was their to observe and take action only if he was 100% sure of consealment/theft which he can act on only outside of the store!!

False arrest compo I have heard it all now. The security gaurd could have approached in a more professional manner but for somebody to claim false arrested they would need have been detained and accused of committing a crime.

The PSA are a waste of space.

Another government body collecting revenue from security personel and doing Fcuk all in return as far as inforcement.

Apparenty they are being done away with so the security industry will be totally un-regulated.

False arrest compo I have heard it all now. The security gaurd could have approached in a more professional manner but for somebody to claim false arrested they would need have been detained and accused of committing a crime.

Thats not true.

The manor in which he approached the o/p or even the fact that he approached the o/p period inside the store can be deemed as false arrest!!

Have you worked in retail security?

Its a minefield and any gaurd that leaves him/herself wide open like that needs re-training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

MadDog76 wrote: »
    That is correct .......... that Tesco employee had absolutely no authority to confront a Tesco customer with an accusatory set of interrogation-like questions

Justice Hardiman of the SC would disagree with you,

Held by the High Court (Hardiman J.), in dismissing the claim for defamation and awarding damages for assault and false imprisonment, 1, that the defendant had a legal right to protect his property by "taxing" an individual whom he suspected of a theft and that this was an occasion of qualified privilege.

McCormack v. Olsthoorn [2004] 3 IR 632

See my above post a claim can be made in defamation and or assault and or false imprisonment. False imprisonment can even happen where the person is not so to speak detained, also it may be enough to ask a question to be accused of committing a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I can see the OP's point.. I too would to be annoyed if I was falsely accused by one of these rent a cop idiots. I would have had it out with him there and then.. I don't think there's any point in talking to a manager about it.

Worked in retail management for years and had so much hassle dealing with complaints about security staff. John Wayne types on their own little power trip.. :o

I can see the OP's point.. I too would to be annoyed if I was falsely accused by one of these rent a cop idiots. I would have had it out with him there and then.. I don't think there's any point in talking to a manager about it.

Worked in retail management for years and had so much hassle dealing with complaints about security staff. John Wayne types on their own little power trip.. :o

I totally agree with you.
    Way too many power trip idiots in the job but to be fair the o/p should complain directly to the security company concerned giving exact details.

Nb not all security staff are " rent a cop idiots" its a **** job at the very best of times!

A good shop lifter will never be noticed to be honest and its mainly the total pond life that stand out in a crowd.

You as a gaurd stand right next to somebody you believe to be dodgey and their is nothing they can do if you say nothing to them and follow them around.

They will soon leave knowing you are right there watching them!

There is no need for the aggressive stance that gaurds with a lack of experience take leaving themselves wide open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Yes, its what they are they for!! I assume youve never worked in retail and had an experience where some scumbag has robbed from the store.

Obviously we all want to stop any type of theft.

From my perspective I am talking about the security companies improving whatever 'filtering system' they use for identifying potential targets and not making a genuine customer feel uncomfortable.

I mentioned in my previous post being in a shop that I have never been in before and taking longer than usual selecting what I needed. Instead of being nearly 'jumped' on by someone with a walkie-talkie on the way to checkout, how about someone from staff coming up to me and asking me if I need some help while I am shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You as a gaurd stand right next to somebody you believe to be dodgey and their is nothing they can do if you say nothing to them and follow them around....
    So a security guard can not talk to a customer because it might be construed as defamtion?

But it's okay to follow me around in an ostentatious manner, which is a way of telling me and everybody else around that I am up to no good. Try that with me, and you will find yourself in court, facing a charge of defamation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I totally agree with you.
    Way too many power trip idiots in the job but to be fair the o/p should complain directly to the security company concerned giving exact details.

Nb not all security staff are " rent a cop idiots" its a **** job at the very best of times!

A good shop lifter will never be noticed to be honest and its mainly the total pond life that stand out in a crowd.

You as a gaurd stand right next to somebody you believe to be dodgey and their is nothing they can do if you say nothing to them and follow them around.

They will soon leave knowing you are right there watching them!

There is no need for the aggressive stance that gaurds with a lack of experience take leaving themselves wide open!

Fair point. We dealt with security companies for a long time and they were just awful. Constant turnover of staff who seemed to get worse by the week. Eventually I hired our security, both of whom were Polish and caused me no trouble at all!

So a security guard can not talk to a customer because it might be construed as defamtion?

But it's okay to follow me around in an ostentatious manner, which is a way of telling me and everybody else around that I am up to no good. Try that with me, and you will find yourself in court, facing a charge of defamation.

Why are you offended?

You cant say a word about it as long as a gaurd isnt right up your arse but they are in the immediate area!!

Its a way with dealing with known/suspected shoplifters as a deterrant without causing a fuss!

If said people (and you get to know the type 90% of the time with experience) get annoyed/aggressive with a gaurd at this point its well within the gaurds remit to ask them to leave.

Good luck winning in court especially if there is CCTV showing a person acting in a suspicious manner!

• Advertisement

A security guard can speak to or monitor a customer but must do so carefully.

Advertisement