Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco jumped up security gaurds

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A security guard can speak to or monitor a customer but must do so carefully.
    Agreed. But I was responding to this suggestion:
    You as a gaurd stand right next to somebody you believe to be dodgey and their is nothing they can do if you say nothing to them and follow them around....
    That is not discreet monitoring, but overt signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Agreed. But I was responding to this suggestion:

That is not discreet monitoring, but overt signalling.

I stand corrected!

I worded my post wrong!

What I should have said was not literally on top of a person but within view/earshot of a person!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Should have told him to go **** himself drop the razors on the floor and walk out of the store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

MadDog76 wrote: »
    He had no authority to question you whatsoever ......... if he thought you were acting suspiciously he can keep an eye on you in that oh so subtle way only a supermarket security guard can and he can radio the camera lad to follow you but it's unprofessional of him to directly question you with no evidence (there can't be any evidence if you didn't steal anything) so I would have told him to "f**k off!"

Sounds like freeman crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Sounds like freeman crap.

Meaning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Well of course it's not illegal to be rude and unprofessional to a customer but it is (or should be to the employer) unacceptable and valid grounds for a complaint resulting in some form of disciplinary action

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

odckdo wrote: »
    Obviously we all want to stop any type of theft.

From my perspective I am talking about the security companies improving whatever 'filtering system' they use for identifying potential targets and not making a genuine customer feel uncomfortable.

I mentioned in my previous post being in a shop that I have never been in before and taking longer than usual selecting what I needed. Instead of being nearly 'jumped' on by someone with a walkie-talkie on the way to checkout, how about someone from staff coming up to me and asking me if I need some help while I am shopping?

But sure the problem here is that nobody knows exactly how this incident happened, all we have is one badly worded rambling story which leads me to think there was probably more to it which made the OP look somewhat suspect. As for your issue, well you will always have over zealous types in every job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I remember reading a while back that there was a scam where somebody would pick up a high value item Ie. a razor for example, and on the way to the checkout (mostly the self service ones ) stick a preprinted barcode of a much cheaper item on the box. Thus making it look like they're paying for the item, when in fact they've paid for a cheaper item.

Heres a link to the story, I read it in Eamonn Dillon's Book, The Outsiders.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/BARCODE+BANDITS%3B+EXCLUSIVE+Gang+net+pounds+1.5m+in+DIY+price+swap+con...-a0141688987

Maybe this scam is starting over here and he thought you were involved in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

Not if you dont put it down first which i usually dont if ive only got a couple of items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Not if you dont put it down first which i usually dont if ive only got a couple of items.

but you do have to put it in the bagging area where it is weighed.

Beano wrote: »
    but you do have to put it in the bagging area where it is weighed.

Its far from an exact science so id say its quiet easily foiled in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Its far from an exact science so id say its quiet easily foiled in fairness.

the very best of luck with it then.

Beano wrote: »
    the very best of luck with it then.

With my shopping? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

As*hole.

Yeah it sounds like you were acting suspiciously but he could have been nicer about it. There's a difference between asking someone what they are doing and saying "I know you were going to do X". If he was good at his job he'd know the difference.

On the few occasions that I have felt that a security guard is watching me too much, I've asked if I can help them with something.

Yes they have a job to do but a professional one will not make customers feel intimidated and defensive.

Advertisement