Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVI "no signal"

Options
  • 12-06-2014 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hello. I bought a desktop set today from PC world. I've set up the desktop but when I use DVI or VGA output the monitor says " no signal", an HDMI cable works perfectly. I'm just curious as to why DVI setting won't work when everything is new.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sorry if this sounds obvious but when you change to VGA/DVI inputs do you also change the source on the monitor? It could be the monitor is on HDMI source by default. There should be a switch source button somewhere on the monitor.
    Another possibility is that you have a dedicated video card, so you must use the ports on that card and not ones on the actual motherboard. Many motherboards these days come with onboard video however if you install or have a dedicated video card installed you must use that instead.
    To add further confusion to this a DVI-D only port will not work with those DVI->VGA adaptors. Only DVI-I and DVI-D will.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

I have fiddled around with monitor settings and have switched it manually, still nothing. Video card is Radeon HD, I just updated it and still nothing. I have the right DVI-D ports. I dont mind much as HDMI works fine. I just need to get another HDMI cable because I took it from my PS3.

Advertisement