Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake €20 whose to blame?

Options
  • 12-06-2014 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place to put this if not feel free to move it.

Anyway. I was in a shop in town this evening before 6. I bought a few bits that came to €7.75 handed in €50 to pay. I was talking to my friend that was with me when I was handed my change. I saw the girl at the till take out 2 €20 notes so I assumed my change was right. So I just shoved it in my purse and left. I headed to dunnes to buy a few groceries and when I went to pay I took out the notes to pay and one was the most disgustingly fake note ever. I've private messaged the shop to tell them but honestly i don't expect much. So could verify for me is it just my own tough luck or are the shop is anyway in the wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll have grave difficulty proving that you got it from that shop; but they're the one responsible for tendering fake currency if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

MYOB wrote: »
    You'll have grave difficulty proving that you got it from that shop; but they're the one responsible for tendering fake currency if you can.

I know I'm really mad at myself for not looking at my change. I'm normally so weird about checking money after years of working in a shop when I was younger. It's a shop I'm in a good bit but the people there wouldn't know me as I'm not from around so I doubt they're going to be very sound about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

The buck falls on whoever had the money when it was found to be fake. In this case, you. Nothing to be done, just accept the loss and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Is there not something that you can hand it in somewhere for a real one ? Bank ?

Is there not something that you can hand it in somewhere for a real one ? Bank ?

No they just take it and destroy it from what I've googled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

I think you are confusing it with a damaged note, which you can hand into a bank to get a new one

Yeah, because I'm sure people would be honest about not printing off fake notes and handing them in for real ones :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

If that works let us know...there will be a big que at that bank tomorrow. ..hah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

With all the shops checking the notes we hand in, I sometimes be tempted to get one of those portable ultra violet lights or pens to check the change they give out.
    Always expect one to fail and be treated like a criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Contact the store and deal with them. They may have overhead CCTV of sufficient quality to see what transpired, or they may even take you at your word.

• Advertisement

Bepolite wrote: »
    Contact the store and deal with them. They may have overhead CCTV of sufficient quality to see what transpired, or they may even take you at your word.

I sent the shop a private message on Facebook when I realised the note was a fake. I've messaged them before regarding stocking certain products and they've messaged me back so I'm hoping they'll contact me tomorrow when the shop is open. This shop definitely has CCTV as it stocks expensive homeware and jewellery so I'd imagine the quality of it is going to be good but still they might just tell me it's my own fault for not checking my change. I'm more annoyed with myself for not checking it than the shop for letting a fake note be passed on to customers.

Wellyd wrote: »
    I sent the shop a private message on Facebook when I realised the note was a fake. I've messaged them before regarding stocking certain products and they've messaged me back so I'm hoping they'll contact me tomorrow when the shop is open. This shop definitely has CCTV as it stocks expensive homeware and jewellery so I'd imagine the quality of it is going to be good but still they might just tell me it's my own fault for not checking my change. I'm more annoyed with myself for not checking it than the shop for letting a fake note be passed on to customers.

Some retail outlets have specific till based CCTV, usually with a trans-trace. I'd go in at the earliest opportunity in all honesty rather than PMing them. If they are unwilling to help make sure the matter is reported to the Gardai and followed up - that might force some co-operation or at the very least show them you're not trying to get one over.

Some retail outlets have specific till based CCTV, usually with a trans-trace. I'd go in at the earliest opportunity in all honesty rather than PMing them. If they are unwilling to help make sure the matter is reported to the Gardai and followed up - that might force some co-operation or at the very least show them you're not trying to get one over.

I'll definitely go in there in the morning. I only sent the message this evening to make them aware ASAP that I had noticed it was a dud so it won't look like I'm just chancing my arm in the morning.
    The message has an exact time on it this evening so hopefully they'll understand that I don't want to cause a fuss I just would hope to get it resolved. The staff are normally quite friendly and helpful so I'm really hoping that along with the CCTV will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Anyone can check a bank note. You run your finger nail on the small raised black square in the middle of the note. It takes about a second to do. Fake notes do exist, but arent the most common. I worked in a shop and handled well over 100k in cash and never had a counterfeit note. Although I did have a fair few dye stained bank notes which generally come from robbed ATMs. They are as useless as a fake note, as banks will generally refuse to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

You will be doing well to get a result.
    I was given a fake €200 note by the ulster bank on oconnel street almost 5 yrs ago. I cashed a credit union cheque there for 8500, I got 1500 in 50's the rest in larger notes, it was counted in front of me and put into 2envelopes, the same day I went to collect and pay for a newer car , paid with the cash and trade in previously agreed. Next morning got acall from the dealer saying one of the €200 notes was fake, the had copped it in the BofI after it was lodged, he showed me the fax and email from the BofI that he received, the only thing I got from Ulster bank was 2 fingers, they said to me come in and discuss it, I drove the 100 miles to the branch to be told there is nothing they can do as I can't prove I got them money from them ( could of told me that on the phone), I foolishly gave the dealer another 200 as I felt responsible. In hindsight I should of given them nothing but my morals got the better of me. Anyway I never even opened the envelope till I got the dealer, and who else even gives you €200 notes, mostly a bank I would guess. The dealer could of screwed me but I highly doubt that they are a very reputable BMW main dealers in the midlands, I had dealt with them before and since that incident,
    Put it down to bad luck OP.

You will be doing well to get a result.

Put it down to bad luck OP.

This is exactly what I'd been saying to myself all night. But I got a message from the shop this morning saying to call in today and they'd sort it out for me. So I'm heading in in the afternoon to see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Well I've been back to the shop and I have to say they couldn't have been sounder if they tried. The manager was so apologetic and immediately replaced the fake note. He watched over the CCTV and found the man who gave in the dud and he's sent on the CCTV to the guards. I actually couldn't believe how nice they were about it. I'm so surprised it turned out the way it did but I'm delighted I'm not the loss of the money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

It is just as easy to get duds from a bank as from a shop. You should really check every note you get from a shop or a bank.

I was in a bank one day when a dud 50 was presented to a local business man as part of his money. He picked it up and showed it around the bank. It was the worst looking 50 I had ever seen. He made a right laugh of the bank. Fair play to him.

This is interesting.

How do you check if a note is fake or not?

You'll make me paranoid now at counters checking every note, screw the queue behind me.

Wellyd wrote: »
    Well I've been back to the shop and I have to say they couldn't have been sounder if they tried. The manager was so apologetic and immediately replaced the fake note. He watched over the CCTV and found the man who gave in the dud and he's sent on the CCTV to the guards. I actually couldn't believe how nice they were about it. I'm so surprised it turned out the way it did but I'm delighted I'm not the loss of the money!
    That is good news, fair play to the shop in question, I didn't think they'd even entertain the idea

Apoligies if I've misundersttod here - I'm not sure a bank would be involved. If the cashier isn't alive to fake notes then it's very easy to get fake notes into the till from other punters.
    Daemos wrote: »
    That is good news, fair play to the shop in question, I didn't think they'd even entertain the idea

Probably created themselves a customer for life over the sake of €20. It's a shame more businesses aren't as savvy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had a fiver that really looked dodgy but all the security features were there and the bank changed it no problem for a new one. Someone had washed it with some very harsh washing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Work in a few retail places and sent fake note posted up to tell staff what they look like, likewise I have seen them on display in shops, chippers etc as a customer, ever single time I have seen one, it was immediately obvious it was fake. I am constantly amazed when someone I work with tells me they can't tell the difference between the dud on display and the legit notes. These notes are usually much darker, thicker, wrong size, wrong dimension, to enough degree you would see them a mile away.

Probably created themselves a customer for life over the sake of €20. It's a shame more businesses aren't as savvy.

Definitely! I will be blowing their trumpet for years to come. Good customer service really is rare nowadays and the shop in question went above the call of duty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can't understand how they could tell from CCTV footage who gave in the fake 20. How could you possibly judge if a 20 is real or not from low quality footage from a camera mounted in the roof above the till?

Advertisement