Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin @TVplus - €19 at Harvey Norman, reduced from €179

Options
  • 30-03-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

Picked this up today in Harvey Norman in Naas for €49 (RRP €179)

Hook it up to your tv box (Sky for example) and you can access live TV and the programs you've recorded on your laptop/ipad through WiFi.

You can also record directly to the device you are using.

Works really well so far....chuffed with it so far. Its not multiroom viewing as such as whatever herself is watching on her ipad upstairs shows up on the tv in the sittting room

Review at engaget
    http://www.engadget.com/products/belkin/at-tvplus/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭mcw92

So you connect this to your Sky Box, and it allows you to watch Sky on an iPad?
    Is it just the channel that is on the sky box atm? As in would you have to change channel via the Sky Box to change channel on the iPad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

mcw92 wrote: »
    So you connect this to your Sky Box, and it allows you to watch Sky on an iPad?
    Is it just the channel that is on the sky box atm? As in would you have to change channel via the Sky Box to change channel on the iPad?

What ever is being accessed from the Sky box at that time. It is not true multiroom in that I can't watch live in sitting and wife then can't watch a recorded show from planner at same time.

The UI of the software/app allows you to change channel on sky box from your iPad/Laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

is it just for the Sky Box ? will it work with UPC box(not a Horizon)

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Yes I believe so...as long as tv signal box (sky or whatever) has component\composite inputs, these wires go from the tv signal box into the Belkin @TVPlus box (red, white, yellow) and then I have red\blue\green wires going from the @TVPlus box into my TV

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

Does the location where you're watching it matter? Could I watch my sky in france on my iPad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

yeah i got one of these last year and it works abroad - thats why i bought it! was using it in the states to watch the all ireland!

Does the location where you're watching it matter? Could I watch my sky in france on my iPad?

Yep, as long as you are in a WiFi area, you access via the internet send commands via the @TVPlus to your sky box. There is an IR transmitter that is placed under the Sky box and is connected to the @TVPlus box. This is what provides control. You can turn the Sky box on and off too, record, pretty much do anything you can at home. Obviously not as easy\quick as having a remote in your hand, but possible nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm going to Spain for Easter, I might pick one up before I go, also bring over my Apple TV box and test it to see can I mirror it fro iPhone/iPad to the Apple TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 inishilra

Got one of these (actually 2 cos thought the first was faulty), and have tried every possible combination of cables to hook it up to our UPC Cisco HD (not Horizon) box, can only hook it up to the settop box with the scart converter thing and there's mention that might be disabled due to the HD connection. We get through the setup wizard to the point where it should show the picture in the little box on the right but it says ' couldn't detect a video source from either your component or composite cables'. Does anyone have this combination of products working together that can help save our sanity. I was so excited to be able to access all the sports channels from abroad and am thoroughly defeated (the 25 mins on the phone to Belkin helpdesk was basically the last straw while she flicked through generic answers and asked what the model no on my scart converter was...) If anyone could please help I'd be soooo grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

So it's basically a slingbox alternative, right? Doubt it'll work on my shi*e Eircom connection though, am lucky to get 0.4 up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

Does it do the same thing as an apple TV box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Peew wrote: »
    Does it do the same thing as an apple TV box.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Is this not more or less the same as the skygo app ? Install the skygo app and watch your sky tv from anywhere in ipad iphone or other tablet and devices..and skygo is free and you can watch on 4 devices at 1 time and watch a different program on each device

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

As this is not limited to sky I presume it would work with a Freesat box or similar.

Do you have to have a satellite box or can this be connected directly to a TV and then beam the TV to your devices?

How many devices can be connected simultaneously? Do I have to pay for the mobile applications

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

from past experiences I won't spend a penny on Belkin products ever again. Granted this device could be totally different but if it says Belkin then no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marklark

Would this work with a smart tv in another room? I just bought one for the bedroom and was considering getting UPC multiroom but if this would do the same job, it would save me a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Thewife wrote: »
    Is this not more or less the same as the skygo app ? Install the skygo app and watch your sky tv from anywhere in ipad iphone or other tablet and devices..and skygo is free and you can watch on 4 devices at 1 time and watch a different program on each device
    Sky Go will only work in Ireland and the UK and will only allow 2 devices to connect at once even though 4 can be registered if you have multiroom. I believe it may be possible to sign up to VPN servers to get around it but they usually have a subscription fee.

The Belkin thing would only really be of use if your going to other countries or use a lot of different devices. The access to recorded stuff also but you have the on demand stuff with Sky Go also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Got one of these yesterday. Works well but not perfectly. Worth the €50 but I'd feel hard done by if I paid much more than that. It's fiddley to set up and difficult to operate but at least I can access my recorded TV shows abroad and on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

Picked one up today, a doddle to set up with Sky box & Macbook even gives a virtual Sky remote, (the old sky+ type, but makes it very easy to use). I would imaging the pc version is the same, but i cannot check this as windows in banished from my home!
    Had it up & running within 20 mins. Most of that time was spent waiting on a firmware update to load & install.

Only negative is the IR signal seems to last too long on the arrow keys as it always goes 2 channels or sections across/down.

Picture quality is not brilliant, but still watchable on an ipad or laptop.

Changing channels with the channel up/down keys or numbers work fine though.

Ipad app is free, but iphone version is €12, Android app is €10.50 on google play, but you can get it free from Amazon app store.
    These do not have the full remote, only a number pad & channel up/down buttons.

It has a PVR function too, but i have not tried it.

I can confirm that it works from abroad as my dad is using it now from Spain.

I have efibre broadband with 30mb upload speed, & doubt it will work on standard broadband as upload speed is so low on these lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

ffocused wrote: »
    Picked one up today, a doddle to set up with Sky box & Macbook even gives a virtual Sky remote, (the old sky+ type, but makes it very easy to use). I would imaging the pc version is the same, but i cannot check this as windows in banished from my home!
    Had it up & running within 20 mins. Most of that time was spent waiting on a firmware update to load & install.

Only negative is the IR signal seems to last too long on the arrow keys as it always goes 2 channels or sections across/down.

Picture quality is not brilliant, but still watchable on an ipad or laptop.

Changing channels with the channel up/down keys or numbers work fine though.

Ipad app is free, but iphone version is €12, Android app is €10.50 on google play, but you can get it free from Amazon app store.
    These do not have the full remote, only a number pad & channel up/down buttons.

It has a PVR function too, but i have not tried it.

I can confirm that it works from abroad as my dad is using it now from Spain.

I have efibre broadband with 30mb upload speed, & doubt it will work on standard broadband as upload speed is so low on these lines.

Reading some bumph on this it seems that you can have limitless users on the same Wifi network and just 1 user watching remotely but you can't have both local and remote at the same time.

Have you tried that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

I had it working on 1 local device & 1 remote device together, but had local device already connected when logging on from remote client.

Local network, I had it working on 3 devices together.

However if it is being accessed remotely, a local device cannot log on to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

This sounds just like a slingbox, but a hell of a lot cheaper. Sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Loads left in Airside today.

Its says €59 but they are adding on a tenner for 2 years warranty. Now I just need time to set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tuc44

Loads in Limerick store at about €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Tuc44 wrote: »
    Loads in Limerick store at about €30.

Hopefully some left planning on going in tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got my box set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXst80i4jb0

Has anyone got the Guide working for Ireland. I was only able to get it for the UK on Virgin TV but putting in BT11AA as a postcode

• Registered Users Posts: 5 inishilra

Has anyone got it working with a UPC box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Previous sticker said €179, reduced to €19.

Loads left in the Tralee store.

Review: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/networking-and-wi-fi/media-streaming-devices/belkin-@tv-plus-1094611/review

Can't really go wrong with the price.

EDIT: Just found the previous thread when they were reduced to €49 a few months back, they are even better value now! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057179623

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭stan 117

38 on the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭mcw92

Seems good value yes, but with all the players online, and Sky GO on Horizon's on Demand, as well as 'other' streaming options, is there any real need for it?

Advertisement