Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Selling

Options
  • 12-06-2014 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Question on landlord selling.... We have to vacate our property by xth of July. We've been informed that we can leave the property whenever we want to but we must pay from the next rent period up to july no matter when we vacate

The landlord wants us to leave and we have a new place to live but they wont hold it for a few more weeks. we would have double pay rent on 2 places simultaneously and this with short notice is quite unfair

Can anyone tell me what the position is on notice that I must provide to the landlord to vacate (if any) and if we decide to leave before the 30 days is up due to finding alternative accommodation do we need to pay the rent in full for the period even if we're not using the property.

Seems most unfair. If we take a place now, we have to pay 2 rents. Its not us that brought this on, but the landlord himself so dont see why we should be seriously out of pocket over this

What we essentially want to do is to pay for the time from next rent up to the day we leave, no more, no less. Then get the deposit back and give it to the new landlord

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Hi,

Question on landlord selling.... We have to vacate our property by xth of July. We've been informed that we can leave the property whenever we want to but we must pay from the next rent period up to july no matter when we vacate

The landlord wants us to leave and we have a new place to live but they wont hold it for a few more weeks. we would have double pay rent on 2 places simultaneously and this with short notice is quite unfair

Can anyone tell me what the position is on notice that I must provide to the landlord to vacate (if any) and if we decide to leave before the 30 days is up due to finding alternative accommodation do we need to pay the rent in full for the period even if we're not using the property.

Seems most unfair. If we take a place now, we have to pay 2 rents. Its not us that brought this on, but the landlord himself so dont see why we should be seriously out of pocket over this

What we essentially want to do is to pay for the time from next rent up to the day we leave, no more, no less. Then get the deposit back and give it to the new landlord

Thanks

It's a two-way street ........... what if a Landlord had new Tenants for a property which was still occupied by his old Tenants but the new Tenants wouldn't/couldn't wait x amount of weeks for the old Tenants to move out? Would it be "fair" for the Landlord to kick the old Tenants out because it suited him??

You're unfortunately just in a difficult situation here ........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

MadDog76 wrote: »
    It's a two-way street ........... what if a Landlord had new Tenants for a property which was still occupied by his old Tenants but the new Tenants wouldn't/couldn't wait x amount of weeks for the old Tenants to move out? Would it be "fair" for the Landlord to kick the old Tenants out because it suited him??

You're unfortunately just in a difficult situation here ........

I dunno. It sounds like notice has been served here out of the normal course, and that the landlord will be putting the property on the market on vacation of the property. I'd hope for a little bit of flexibility from the landlord in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057179227/1/#post89695957

That's my thread from a similar situation a while ago. I had to fight my LL damn hard for the deposit. What I would do in your situation is not pay the rent and just let the LL keep the deposit. So you can still put a deposit on your new place and the LL isn't out of pocket.

If you pay the rent, the LL could keep your deposit too and leave you badly stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

dobman88 wrote: »

That's my thread from a similar situation a while ago. I had to fight my LL damn hard for the deposit. What I would do in your situation is not pay the rent and just let the LL keep the deposit. So you can still put a deposit on your new place and the LL isn't out of pocket.

If you pay the rent, the LL could keep your deposit too and leave you badly stuck.

Do not advise people to break the law on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Thanks!

LL failed to give 84 days notice, gave 30 instead. Going to ask him to accommodate us on this because if we can't move quickly we will lose places as no LL will wait for us in the current market. Why would they when there's only 12 properties in the whole area to rent

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »

That wouldn't work in this case as the OP wants to move out now and not pay anymore rent and still get his deposit back

Thanks!

LL failed to give 84 days notice, gave 30 instead. Going to ask him to accommodate us on this because if we can't move quickly we will lose places as no LL will wait for us in the current market. Why would they when there's only 12 properties in the whole area to rent

All good so .......... he scratches your back, you scratch his ........... silly mistake on the part of the LL but may work to your advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

MadDog76 wrote: »
    That wouldn't work in this case as the OP wants to move out now and not pay anymore rent and still get his deposit back

Kind of! Happy to pay rent for the days we're in current house, but not for 3 weeks. We'd be happy to move in a week. So we don't want to pay the extra 2 weeks. We've found a place now and they will give it to us if we move immediately

Kind of! Happy to pay rent for the days we're in current house, but not for 3 weeks. We'd be happy to move in a week. So we don't want to pay the extra 2 weeks. We've found a place now and they will give it to us if we move immediately

So tell the LL you want to move immediately, that you only want to pay rent up to the day you move out and that you want the deposit back in full .......... if he refuses then demand the full 84 days notice that you're entitled to ....... he may just bend

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LL failed to give 84 days notice, gave 30 instead.
    Tell him either it's your way, or the 84 day way :pac:

I'm sure he'll see sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement