Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

When Ray Houghton is commentating a Holland match i switch channels.
    If no other channel is having the game, i pick a stream from the internet, even if that means i have to listen to Arab commentators.

Still bitter about '88 i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

Followed by predicting Chile to win the World Cup.

Was he drunk or something? Chile have some quality players, and I love their attacking philosophy, but they're not going to win the World Cup. They have the ability to beat Brazil, but I think they are going to be overawed by the occasion.

Dunphy's anti Neymar agenda is really annoying me as well. Neymar is only 22 and is carrying Hulk,Fred and the expectations of a nation on his shoulders yet Dunphy is only waiting for a chance to slate him. This is something Dunphy does constantly with young players, and it inevitably comes back to bite him in the arse.

Anybody remember him saying a certain Lionel Messi was overrated, when Messi started playing CL for Barca?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Was he drunk or something? Chile have some quality players, and I love their attacking philosophy, but they're not going to win the World Cup. They have the ability to beat Brazil, but I think they are going to be overawed by the occasion.

Dunphy's anti Neymar agenda is really annoying me as well. Neymar is only 22 and is carrying Hulk,Fred and the expectations of a nation on his shoulders yet Dunphy is only waiting for a chance to slate him. This is something Dunphy does constantly with young players, and it inevitably comes back to bite him in the arse.

Anybody remember him saying a certain Lionel Messi was overrated, when Messi started playing CL for Barca?

He was being Dunphy - he's just there to say the opposite of what a reasonably sane or rational person might think, to drum up a bit of controversy and get more people watching RTE.

As for Houghton, could not agree more, he is a pain in the hole, no-one has ever done anything right in a match according to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

But sure didn't Dunphy tell us at the start " Spain and Argentina will definitely be in the final" didn't get the one right now Spain gone at the Group Stage, Aregentina who knows how they will do but fact is Dunphy's opinion is meaningless remember he was saying for years Ronaldo was all hype and " a cod" the guy played for Millwall how would he know what top level football is about, ...

Come on be fair how many people predicted the Spanish would be one of the first teams out ?
    Likewise with Portugal, Italy.
    How many experts and the rest of us would have predicted Costa Rica would head the group ?

You don't have to been a brilliant player to be able to read the game, spot useless play/players or for for that manage at a high level.
    It can help but dear god some of the best players were as boring as ditch water and not the smartest or granted with the ability to talk.
    grenache wrote: »
    This is even funnier than his "Bundesliga is an average league" comment before the 2013 CL Final.

The man knows nothing about football. He is only interested in "shock jock" style entertainment.

Again I think he does have somewhat of a point.
    Take Bayern and probably Dortmund out of the Bundesliga and there is nothing really there.
    See how the likes of Leverkusen or Schalke 04 have done in CL over last few years.

At this stage I think the Bundesliga is even less competitive than La Liga which was really a two horse race for the last number of years until this last year.
    Bayern are going to steam roll everyone else in the Bundesliga next year and their nearest competitor Dortmund loses their best players every year to Bayern.
    Bayern finished the league last year ahead by 19 points and this was even after taking the foot off after they won it.
    The 5th best team Wolfsburg was 30 points behind.

In La Liga you had 3 teams finishing within 4 points of each other.
    Granted 5th was 27 points behind the winners.

Anyway Dunphy et al are very successful, they have got us all talking about them, tuning into see them, etc and that is ultimately what they are about.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I think we can all safely agree that Dunphy, Brady and Giles wouldn't be chasing a criminal down a Brazilian street like Chris Kamara has. I love him even more :D
    Chris Kamara @chris_kammy · 3h
    Not lost me pace!!! I just caught this street robber. Done in now though

Chris Kamara @chris_kammy · 3h
    My good deed has back fired I have to go to the police station now to make a statement

BrJQWbwIcAAqJmW.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-28064420

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Kammy will get it all wrong though :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

He showed good honesty of effort to track him down

RTE always have good montages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

they do to be fair

another classic

I think we can all safely agree that Dunphy, Brady and Giles wouldn't be chasing a criminal down a Brazilian street like Chris Kamara has. I love him even more :D

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-28064420

Can you imagine Jeff looking for a progress update from Kammy as he pursued this mugger down the street? :D "UNBELIEVABLE JEFF"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Can you imagine Jeff looking for a progress update from Kammy as he pursued this mugger down the street? :D "UNBELIEVABLE JEFF"

"Has he Jeff? Has he been arrested? I must have missed that."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Looper007 wrote: »
    At the end of the day it's all about those 90 minutes on the pitch. As long as you enjoy that then you can turn it off after when the punditry is on and watch Big Bang theory or something.

How pundits can suck the joy out of a game and turn you off a football match is crazy.

Surely you'd get more laughs out of the punditry?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Surely you'd get more laughs out of the punditry?

I'd rather watch Penny than Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Liam Brady on penalties

''Don't miss the target. If you miss the target, you can't score.''

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Shearer really is a dreadful analyst.

Liam Brady on penalties

''Don't miss the target. If you miss the target, you can't score.''

I came in here to post that! Classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I came in here to post that! Classic!

Ya hear that from junior coaches up and down the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Dempsey wrote: »
    Ya hear that from junior coaches up and down the country

It's funny because it's so blatantly obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jesus ****ing Christ.

BrPd9gMIgAAh6s3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Billo "So what are you saying?"

Eamon "I'm saying I'm going clubbing after the game!"

Vintage stuff from Ireland's finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Paully D wrote: »
    Jesus ****ing Christ.

BrPd9gMIgAAh6s3.jpg

It looks like the final scene of a heist movie when a group rob a bank and then retire to some tropical island to spend their money.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    It looks like the final scene of a heist movie when a group rob a bank and then retire to some tropical island to spend their money.

Adrian Chiles: I can't wait to rob this bank so we can buy the equipment pretend we're doing punditry on the World Cup

Martin O'Neill: You know we could just go to the World Cu-

Adrian Chiles: SHUT UP MARTIN!! WE'RE GOING TO BUY MICROPHONES AND I'M GOING TO PRETEND I'M NOT ON ITV!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Giles and Dunphy going at it now over Colombia and Uruguay. Poor Didi seems to be always stuck in the middle when these fights break out. :D

Must be wondering what he let himself in for sometimes!

I like the fact that RTE pundits disagree and that they will squabble to justify what they are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

staged "disagreement" between Eamon and John in response to the criticism that they always agree

staged "disagreement" between Eamon and John in response to the criticism that they always agree

A load of nonsense, Eamon and Gilesy have disagreed umpteen times over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Ray Haughton really is terrible. It's hard to believe he played the game at all, never mind at the highest level.

Ray Haughton really is terrible. It's hard to believe he played the game at all, never mind at the highest level.

Its hard to imagine that a man with such a negative mindset would have scored such memorable goals like against England & Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Eamon Dunphy : "Columbia have 2 good players and 9 headless chickens" ...

Brilliant ... I f*cking love these guys
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Him Ronnie Whelan and Jim Beglin and Lawro and Hansen hate football. Seriously hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Watching Brad Friedel and Saddlier here is actually very interesting. Hearing a great goalkeeper's take on penalties is interesting. Two easy guys to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Brad the Apeman Friedel?? Just tuned I now, disappointed I missed that, enjoyed his input on one of the UK channels last week, think it was BBC.

While Whelan was busy slating Howard for not pushing the ball wide for Germanys goal, Friedel pointed out of the other channel that a) it involved changing body angle and was a tough save to make, and b) that would have pushed the ball straight into a German player about two yards off the line. Hope those two are on at some point together, since Whelan loves to try blame every goal ever on the keeper.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I like the fact that RTE pundits disagree and that they will squabble to justify what they are saying.
    So do I.

But I hate the fact that for most of the pundits, their attempts to justify their opinions are based on false truths, straw men, unresearched nonsense, outright lies, and extremely wilful ignorance.

See: everything mentioned about Neymar, Colombia last night. Just blind ignorance from a bunch of people who didn't even know who James Rodriguez was a few weeks ago.

At least there's hope for the future, Sadlier has the best pundit on TV with ease over this WC (RTE, ITV or BBC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Friedel know his stuff. Very impressed with him.

the_monkey wrote: »
    Eamon Dunphy : "Columbia have 2 good players and 9 headless chickens" ...

Brilliant ... I f*cking love these guys
    :D

Translation for 'headless chickens': do not play in the Premiership, La Liga or Serie A so I don't know them, or rate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think I got it.

Commentators for final:
    George and Bryan.
    Panel:
    Darragh, didi, Richie and brad.

What rte will most likely give us:

George and captain blindside hindsight
    Bill and the three "senior" analysts.

• Advertisement

Have to echo some comments here on Friedel. For the first time in ages I really enjoyed listening to analysis, knew his stuff and didnt use the same tired, old cliches, very refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Giles: "He's 27, 28 isn't he Didi?"

He's 30, John.

Giles: "He's 27, 28 isn't he Didi?"

He's 30, John.
    I'm assuming g that was about Robben.

Which would have meant he was aging in senior football in Holland at 14 years of age.

But yeah, those defending Giles, Dunphy and co for not bothering with research are spot on. Who needs it anyway?

Also for all of Dunphy "headless chickens" talk yesterday and hammering on and on about Colombia being unable to defend... they came into the competition of being a more defensive unit, and conceded the least goals of any team in South American qualifying. They have conceded two goals so far also, only three teams have conceded less (and none have played their 2nd round games yet, Mexico just kicking off now).

Research? Who f***ing needs it!? And some people LIKE this style of soapbox punditry... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Billy86 wrote: »
    Research? Who f***ing needs it!? And some people LIKE this style of soapbox punditry... :rolleyes:

Anybody can get research easily from the internet in an instant. If you require pundits to tell you how you should have viewed the game then you're doing football all wrong.

Dunphy et al are humorous and are essentially those lads you hear in a pub talking absolute shíte.

Not to be taken seriously at all. If people are giving out about them then they're doing their job right.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Anybody can get research easily from the internet in an instant. If you require pundits to tell you how you should have viewed the game then you're doing football all wrong.

Dunphy et al are humorous and are essentially those lads you hear in a pub talking absolute shíte.

Not to be taken seriously at all. If people are giving out about them then they're doing their job right.
    People being dissatisfied with the service you provide is not a sign of success. And this excuse of "RTEs ratings are good" holds no water unless someone can show a spike when Dunphy, Giles etc are on compared to when they are not.

And yes, information is easily available on teams and players in the World Cup. This is why there is no excuse for being insanely ignorant of the teams and players you are covering. Maybe the Internet is just a foreign concept to these guys given they are all in or knocking on the door of their seventies. But that is not an excuse, and is why they are put to shame by the younger and guest pundits who have done their research. It just further shows that they are increasingly obsolete.

And yes, a job of a pundit is to give an informed insight into the matches and those taking part in it. The literal definition of the word pundit is "an expert in a particular subject or field who is frequently called in to give opinions about it to the public." When you don't know a thing about 80% of the players on the pitch, you cannot be an expert on them, and trying to jump to assumptions like Dunphy with Colombia being clowns who cannot defend or hold a lead is no way an informed opinion of any description.

This lazy punditry often pervades the mindset of its viewership she it comes to football, and leads to ass backwards views of how the game should be played and developed. Anyone in the last 25 years has grown up watching these guys after all, and in that time frame our production line has gone nowhere but backwards with "kick and run, get wide and cross" still largely being the order of the day. Not to say they are the whole problem by any means, but certainly part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,557 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Giles should be given an electric shock every time he says Holland.

Gilesy-"Here's Holla.., oh sorry, The Netherlands doing what they do."

Then Billo says 2 mins later. " They hadnt got much magic there in the first half, Holland."

Bear in mind Billo scolded Eamon and Giles the last time the dutch played, for saying Holland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

RANT rant rant rant.

Are you still moaning Billy???
    You do have a remote.

We do get it. You dont like Dunphy.

Fudge You wrote: »
    Are you still moaning Billy???
    You do have a remote.

We do get it. You dont like Dunphy.

ITV reception has been horrific for me for the last few weeks, so I am stuck with the clown for half the matches. If he is on and BBC are covering the game, I switch over without thought.

That, and I have to pay for this clown either way. So "you have a remote" is not really a valid argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

ITV reception has been horrific for me for the last few weeks, so I am stuck with the clown for half the matches. If he is on and BBC are covering the game, I switch over without thought.

That, and I have to pay for this clown either way. So "you have a remote" is not really a valid argument.

You have a valid argument. Its an excellent one.

You would argue about anything.

Is the mute button not working?

Is the mute button not working?
    I have to pay for this clown either way. So "you have a remote" is not really a valid argument.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I have to pay for this clown either way. So "you have a remote" is not really a valid argument.

Ah I think you secretly enjoy listening to him.

I presume you're referring to the TV licence. Do you watch everything RTE produce? You've technically paid for all of it

• Advertisement
Advertisement