Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

"It's a lottery" - NO IT F-ING ISN'T.

The Costa Rica team clearly practised their penalties, each had a plan and it clearly paid off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Vietnam is second in the Happy Planet Index...

Ireland are 73rd behind Yemen, Syria and Iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Belgium to win world cup?
    Goid luck with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Eamon took a rather large sip of water after backing Belgium to win it.

I thought I saw a touch of fear of failure on his face, just for a split second.

Why Eamon? You've been proved wrong hundreds of times before and no-one cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Arghus wrote: »

I thought I thought a touch of fear of failure on his face, just for a split second.

Hydration is key to prevent the hangover the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

auldgranny wrote: »
    Belgium to win world cup?
    Goid luck with that

Out Tuesday so.. :P On Thursday he predicted Chile to win it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Brian017 wrote: »
    Out Tuesday so.. :P On Thursday he predicted Chile to win it! :D

Ha ha he predicted Netherlands then said no. Does that mean a draw?

auldgranny wrote: »
    I laughed at that too. We were in one in 2002 too.

Our players were 'heroic' that day but funnily enough, not as heroic as the class of 1990....:confused:.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Ray "Captain Hindsight" Houghton embarrassing himself even more than usual this evening.

He was moaning that Manolas was standing on the sideline for the penalties because "Whats he doing there! He should be in the center circle! He'll have to run over and join them when he has to take one", when it's blatantly obviously Greece have to nominate a player not to take one because its 10 vs 11. This is after 120 minutes of constant bitching about the game. Gold.

Blaming the Costa Rican keeper for the Greek goal, when he is the single biggest reason that Costa Rica are in the next round. Yesterday, he spent the entire time calling Cuadrado of Columbia, Guardado. I mean, seriously, read the bloody team sheet. Anybody can have a slip of the tongue, but to do it for 2 or 3 full games now....

The man is absolutely horrendous. How can someone be so abysmal at their job and keep it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Hamilton makes another tenuous 1990 reference this time adding the assumption that "we all remember what happened then", unaware that a vast amount of his audience were either too young to remember or not even born then.

Was expecting him to come out with "A Nation Holds It's Breath" just before the final penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If it is I want the Costa Rican players lottery numbers!

The Costa Rica team clearly practised their penalties, each had a plan and it clearly paid off.

Yep, finally settles the debate about practising penalties. Mick McCarthy used to say there was no point because you can't replicate the pressure in the stadium. Why train at all so.:rolleyes: Obviously there is a lot less pressure if you've practised because you know exactly what you are going to do.

Our players were 'heroic' that day but funnily enough, not as heroic as the class of 1990....:confused:.....:pac:

The ones in 2002 lost. :p

v3ttel wrote: »
    Ray "Captain Hindsight" Houghton embarrassing himself even more than usual this evening.

He was moaning that Manolas was standing on the sideline for the penalties because "Whats he doing there! He should be in the center circle! He'll have to run over and join them when he has to take one", when it's blatantly obviously Greece have to nominate a player not to take one because its 10 vs 11. This is after 120 minutes of constant bitching about the game. Gold.

Blaming the Costa Rican keeper for the Greek goal, when he is the single biggest reason that Costa Rica are in the next round. Yesterday, he spent the entire time calling Cuadrado of Columbia, Guardado. I mean, seriously, read the bloody team sheet. Anybody can have a slip of the tongue, but to do it for 2 or 3 full games now....

The man is absolutely horrendous. How can someone be so abysmal at their job and keep it?

As an Ireland player who is actually from Scotland that gave us 2 moments of euphoria as well as every drop of sweat and blood ill be forever grateful.

But as a man; he is a serious pain in the hole. Flippant, Arrogant, Dour, Negative, Smug, Obnoxious....its true for Fr Dougal..you should never meet your heroes as you'll only end up disappointed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Tongue in cheek I presume?

Not at all.

I'm serious.

What's not to like about the kick off times in this tournament ?

Yep, finally settles the debate about practising penalties. Mick McCarthy used to say there was no point because you can't replicate the pressure in the stadium. Why train at all so.:rolleyes: Obviously there is a lot less pressure if you've practised because you know exactly what you are going to do.

I dont agree with the argument that you cant prepare for the pressure in a stadium. Its akin to saying there is no point preparing for an important speech because of the crowd there. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Those who practice penalties are at least getting the confidence up. The problem with the likes of England who this argument seems to be based on is that they are too caught up in what the daily scum might have for headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think its funny how easy they had Belgium getting into the quarters , I think the Americans will knock them out personally seen nothing hugelly impressive about them , They actually remind me of Portugal a few years back who had this massive golden generation but never won a trophy

I think its funny how easy they had Belgium getting into the quarters , I think the Americans will knock them out personally seen nothing hugelly impressive about them , They actually remind me of Portugal a few years back who had this massive golden generation but never won a trophy

And in my opinion that particular Portugal team with Figo, Rui Costa, etc would tonk Belgium in their present form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

v3ttel wrote: »
    Yesterday, he spent the entire time calling Cuadrado of Columbia, Guardado. I mean, seriously, read the bloody team sheet. Anybody can have a slip of the tongue, but to do it for 2 or 3 full games now.
    pffffft, research. Who... The... F**k... Needs it?

Obviously since people still watched the match, he is a great commentator. I mean, but of course!

---

On penalties, I can't remember who but I remember hearing of a team (might have been in South America) who had a very good run with shootouts. Apparently their manager had them practice penalties while wearing headphones on full volume blaring crowd noises, air horns etc, while some team mates stood on the edge of the box behind them and threw tennis balls while they took their practice penalties to put them off further. Straight out of the school of nutty coaching, but if it works sure why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭troched

Arghus wrote: »

I thought I saw a touch of fear of failure on his face, just for a split second.

I loved how he proclaimed right after that he'd predicted Athletico Madrid to win the CL, then was reminded that they HADN'T done so!

Reminds me of Ireland's first match in 2002 (against Cameroon): Dunphy, whose profile in the wake of Saipan had never been higher, said there was no way that Ireland would win the match. At full time, Bill smugly reminded him of this prediction.

Cue a death stare from Dunphy, and a terse "They didn't win"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Why was Ian Wright calling Glenn Hoddle 'Gaffer' all night tonight? Has he always done this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Why was Ian Wright calling Glenn Hoddle 'Gaffer' all night tonight? Has he always done this?

It's just his chav schtick. Hoddle used to manage England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

And in my opinion that particular Portugal team with Figo, Rui Costa, etc would tonk Belgium in their present form.

I think it would be a draw. Don't forget they haven't trained in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Billy86 wrote: »
    5-I-love-controversy.jpg

Con-trov-o-c or contro-ver-c?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Dunphy says the WC should always be played in Europe.

Please. This has been the best WC in forever. Wouldn't have been 1/10th as good in Europe.

Ehh you claim you are under 30 and yet you make pronouncements that this is the best WC in forever ?
    You'd swear Italia '90 was the only time a penalty shoot out was ever taken before.

Wash your mouth out.
    It is a memory etched in every Irish person that was alive that day.

In fact you or some of your generation may not be alive, but for feats such as that. ;);)
    Ask your mammy or daddy to explain it to you.
    As an Ireland player who is actually from Scotland that gave us 2 moments of euphoria as well as every drop of sweat and blood ill be forever grateful.

But as a man; he is a serious pain in the hole. Flippant, Arrogant, Dour, Negative, Smug, Obnoxious....its true for Fr Dougal..you should never meet your heroes as you'll only end up disappointed

You forgot about dressing up as a leprechaun and a spud for Baddiel and Skinner. :mad::mad:
    That was the day I lost respect for him as a person.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Kerr on the American Ref in the France game "He's Good Humoured in his facial Expressions" Kerr's a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Looper007 wrote: »
    Kerr on the American Ref in the France game "He's Good Humoured in his facial Expressions" Kerr's a genius.
    He really is a great colour commentator, now talk g about Honduras committing hara kiri with Palacios' red. :pac:

Also nice to see some very good punditry in the studio with Darragh and Richie. Kenny too, despite his incredible lack of charisma, had some very good insights and called that Nigeria would give France a very, very tricky time. Shame about Ronnie, but it can't be perfect I guess. :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Alkin 'Who's gonna break the dreadlock'

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Kerr 'He's been very reliable the goalkeeper'
    Right before he makes a balls of a cross that France score from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

Alkin - "Tiredness always seems to affect players at the end of games"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Kerr 'He's been very reliable the goalkeeper'
    Right before he makes a balls of a cross that France score from.

Surprisingly Kerr can't tell the future

Ronnie with a WTF look on his face while Kenny is defending Matuidi's tackle, Jaysus he's talking some sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Cunningham talking ****e again, how many more times is this idiot gonna be on TV?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I think Kenny just wants to say the opposite of whatever Richie says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Cunningham is talking through his ar5e. Sadlier and Whelan are spot on. Matuidi should have went and it was a deffo pen .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

Nigerian guy interviewing Nigerian player - "This is not the result you wanted is it?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Kenny "time and time again" Cunningham talking crap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cunningham talking pure rubbish ,looks to be getting angry too lol what a numpty.

Surprisingly Kerr can't tell the future

He put the commentators curse on him, because he made his mistake seconds after he said it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Kenny does look like he's about to snap at a moment's notice. Just hope Dunphy is the one to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Poor Kenny. He's not bad overall, but as been said before, just has no charisma. And that robotic delivery is grating. Plus, he might just snap at any minute - a Paul Gogarty moment perhaps?

It's pretty obvious that there is a lot of posturing and competition between the shall we say second-tier analysts on RTE. All trying to position themselves for when the senior lads retire. Whelan and Houghton would probably be in line if you were to consider their longevity alone as compared with the other lads. The trouble is that they just aren't great. Ronnie was one of my all time favourite players, but he's not great as an analyst, and comes across as feeling threatened by the likes of Sadlier.

My choice would be Sadlier, Hammann if available (probably not), and Kerr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Great to see some competition between the would be A-team panelists.

Hamann will only ever be a sporadic member, Kerr should be kept in the commentary box preferably alongside Hamilton but the sacred calf Houghton will never be usurped.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭troched

jmayo wrote: »
    You forgot about dressing up as a leprechaun and a spud for Baddiel and Skinner. :mad::mad:
    That was the day I lost respect for him as a person.

You lost all respect for him over a light-hearted joke? Wow, just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

For a truly scary experience, watch Kenny with the sound down.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

delaad wrote: »
    For a truly scary experience, watch Kenny with the sound down.

at this particular moment in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Bill: Talk us through Liam.
    Brady:.....
    Brady: I think Brad is going to take this Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Friedel's eager! This is proper analysis in fairness.

Friedel's eager! This is proper analysis in fairness.

I don't know who this upstart thinks he is coming in with his research done and all the facts in order. If he is to survive he should know to get his names wrong and show a careless disrespectful attitude whilst doing so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Excellent stuff from Brad Friedel. Hopefully he'll be snapped up full-time when he finishes up, though I believe he's signed a one year deal for this coming season at Spurs.

Someone should have a word in his ear and tell him that he doesn't actually need to perform any research/decent analysis and is just giving himself more work than necessary. :pac:

On another note, I'm sure those watching on ITV won't have wanted to be eating while watching this:

BrZyzmOIEAAza4_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement