Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

21.58 Peter Collins- The only thing Algeria haven't done yet is .......*pause as he realizes the nonce he's gonna show himself up to be again, carries on regardless* score a goal. That counts.

Dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Get rid of this Friedal guy, this is RTE football punditry, no place for professionalism and competence. You're ruining the laid back buddy vibe for the lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Enjoying Friedel's analysis. I think the RTE set-up an questioning getting more out of him then the BBC does,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

'I know all teams work on set pieces on the training ground but that was from the playground' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Get rid of this Friedal guy, this is RTE football punditry, no place for professionalism and competence. You're ruining the laid back buddy vibe for the lads...

Really hope they have Friedel on the panel with Dunphy. Would really show up how little Amoan knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Liked Brads piece on goalkeeping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Brad rocks!

Excellent pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Keep Friedel.

To hear a goalkeeper talking about goalkeeping is refreshing, rather than the usual suspects just saying "Ah he should have scored, Bill"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Lots of positive feedback for big brad. Is there any videos online yet of his punditry for those not living in ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

here's one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

COYVB wrote: »
    here's one

Absolutely brilliant punditry. Him, Hamann and probably Richie would be the dream team although Richie is starting to get poor being surrounded by the older lads. Giles, Brady and Dunphy would be ****ting themselves around him, afraid they show the, up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Brady embarrassed himself a bit yesterday giving Schurrle no credit. He had the cheek to say Schurrle wasn't a good enough player to score like that on purpose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Brad Friedel what a man, terrific pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

You definitely get a sense of honesty from Freidel that he has done his homework and is giving you his well researched and educated opinion. Even in the clip above he highlights that what he is saying is from his perspective "it was for me". Very hard to argue with that, the man is giving you his opinion after a long, experienced career.

If he decided to take someone up on something they are saying, I would believe Friedel, it seems he has no agenda, isnt trying to start arguments with anyone, and he genuinely feels they are incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Friedel is very good, as is Sadlier.

It just shows you how poor the punditry on RTE is when people's reaction, particularly to Friedel's introduction, 'is oh my God, that guy knows what he's talking about and is very articulate'.

Brian Kerr might have a good understanding of the game but it is incredibly hard to listen to him and he is not a good speaker. Kenny Cunningham is the same, but without the good understanding of the game! And Ronnie Whelan again, is very poor.

The 3 stooges are all good craic but they are so far past their sell by date. Giles hasn't a clue what he's talking about, and it's clear he watches very little football. Brady, while still being involved in the game up until recently, is the best but I still don't get the impression he watches a lot of football. And Dunphy's saving grace is that he is very articulate, even though he hasn't a breeze. Anyway, I can't wait for them to retire!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GregGoryHouse

Dunphy continuing to refer to fernandez as lorenzo even after Liam corrected him. More of this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Brady embarrassed himself a bit yesterday giving Schurrle no credit. He had the cheek to say Schurrle wasn't a good enough player to score like that on purpose!

I like Brady but he is as obstinate as hell. He just wont alter his opinion on players in front of a camera. If Schurrle played for Arsenal, it would be a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Davei141 wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant punditry. Him, Hamann and probably Richie would be the dream team although Richie is starting to get poor being surrounded by the older lads. Giles, Brady and Dunphy would be ****ting themselves around him, afraid they show the, up

Ah Davei stop having a moan and just enjoy ;)

I like Brady but he is as obstinate as hell. He just wont alter his opinion on players in front of a camera. If Schurrle played for Arsenal, it would be a different story.

ah here Arsenal fan's have more to complain with Whelan, Houghtan and Kenny, Giles, Dunphy even Hamann taking pot shots at Arsenal players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'm not sure what people see in Hamann tbh. Very overrated pundit imo, average.

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm not sure what people see in Hamann tbh. Very overrated pundit imo, average.

He's ok just lacks a personality for me like Kenny. Richie I like he has a bit of a fun side to him that can join in on a joke. That's why Gary Neville is a great Pundit he can rip the piss but he knows his football too. If it was left too many on here we be left with a dour lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Was once a big fan of Sadlier when he first started as a pundit, but the more I watch him the more it seems he realises he's billed as the 'cheeky, having a laugh' one and plays off it with less and less actual informative, different analysis.

Friedel said more of substance in one show than the entire panel have said in the whole tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

If this continues who are Apres Match gonna rip the p*ss out of? :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Looper007 wrote: »
    If it was left too many on here we be left with a dour lot.

Maybe so, but at least they'd be able to tell you everything you need to know about the Iranian left back :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Sadlier- take away all Messi's good moments and he hasn't done much at this world cup....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

Vanolder wrote: »
    Sadlier- take away all Messi's good moments and he hasn't done much at this world cup....

I thought what he said was, take away all Messi's good moments and Argentina have not done much at the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Vanolder wrote: »

And he is right. Messi did basically nothing until the 90th minute against Iran and only played well against Bosnia for 10 minutes. He has still come up big when needed and been their best player easily, but he has not exactly been the best player in the tournament or anything, either.

He was great throughout against Nigeria until he got subbed out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Mueller > Messi so ;)

• Advertisement

Beglin 'I wouldn't put my house it, I'd put my car or garage on it'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Probably would be, yeah. Not nearly as bad as Whelan, Dunphy and Giles though. At least he has some smatterings of knowledge, even if he is fairly biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

COYVB wrote: »
    here's one

Tony needs to stop interrupting! Does it far too often on every show. Annoying as fck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Pundits dream team tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Kenny being contrary again.

Neeson wrote: »
    Pundits dream team tonight.

Neeson having an orgasm here.

Poor Kenny far too serious, smile you moany git.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Looper007 wrote: »
    Neeson having an orgasm here.

Poor Kenny far too serious, smile you moany git.

Rather it than Giles Brady and Eamon!

Neeson wrote: »
    Rather it than Giles Brady and Eamon!

at least you get some comedy.

it's all good but just a little boring but Kenny is great at winding people up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

Turtwig wrote: »
    Tony needs to stop interrupting! Does it far too often on every show. Annoying as fck!
    I know, Brad was about to say something excellent about left footers and the ****ing spa cut across him.
    Why won't they just shut up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yes Brad yes, make a stand for the keepers! :D

Always thought keepers tend to get judged to a much higher standard than the rest of their teammates to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

All Kenny needs to do is throw a biro or something. It bought Dunphy a career:-)

• Advertisement

All Kenny needs to do is throw a biro or something. It bought Dunphy a career:-)

he's the type that will rub up a few of the other pundits up the wrong way that might lead up for a few punch ups. I'm still convinced he go Travis Bickle one day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

Kenny being contrary again.

I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭troched

Who did Kenny predict as winner? IIRC Brad said Brazil, Didi said France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

troched wrote: »
    Who did Kenny predict as winner? IIRC Brad said Brazil, Didi said France

Kenny said Brazil too. If they pick Will I Am and Fernandinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Brad Friedel, Didi, Ossie Ardilles have all been an absolute breath of fresh air. I hope we see more of them in the future.

I think Dunphy's hyperbole is becoming pretty tiresome at this stage.

I could take or leave Richie Sadlier, Kenny Cunningham and Ronnie Whelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Aww man I really do miss ossie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

thelad95 wrote: »
    Brad Friedel, Didi, Ossie Ardilles have all been an absolute breath of fresh air. I hope we see more of them in the future.

I think Dunphy's hyperbole is becoming pretty tiresome at this stage.

I could take or leave Richie Sadlier, Kenny Cunningham and Ronnie Whelan.

At this stage? Dunphy became boring after leaving Millwall.

Not a good bore but a great bore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Turtwig wrote: »
    Aww man I really do miss ossie

Ossie of Tottingham Hotspur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    At this stage? Dunphy became boring after leaving Millwall.

Not a good bore but a great bore.

It used to be funny to hear him write off Manchester United and Ronaldo only for United to win the league with Ronaldo getting the golden boot.

Those were different times though and he is now surrounded by younger, more enthusiastic, more knowledgeable pundits.

Also, once or twice he's been visibly pissed on air which is disgraceful. The night he said Belgium would win the World Cup he was slurring his speech and talking gobbledygook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Henry9 wrote: »
    I know, Brad was about to say something excellent about left footers and the ****ing spa cut across him.
    Why won't they just shut up??

Just watched it and that was very annoying. Just about to get some really good insight from Brad and then bollocks interrupted.:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement