Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Henry9 wrote: »
    I know, Brad was about to say something excellent about left footers and the ****ing spa cut across him.
    Why won't they just shut up??

Have to say I think Brad Friedel has been a breath of fresh air.

I would love to have seen the camera on him during the match.

Cunningham is really beginning to grate.

Best combination for actual analysis would be Brad, Didi and Richie.

Of course for the big matches we are going to get the old trio.
    Then all we can hope for is a few quips about God knows what baby.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

thelad95 wrote: »
    Brad Friedel, Didi, Ossie Ardilles have all been an absolute breath of fresh air. I hope we see more of them in the future.

His accent was so thick I could barely understand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

It used to be funny to hear him write off Manchester United and Ronaldo only for United to win the league with Ronaldo getting the golden boot.

Those were different times though and he is now surrounded by younger, more enthusiastic, more knowledgeable pundits.

Also, once or twice he's been visibly pissed on air which is disgraceful. The night he said Belgium would win the World Cup he was slurring his speech and talking gobbledygook.

Dunphy being sloshed on air is very much par for the course with him, tbh I think it makes him more entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Brad Friedel was excellent, Hamann always is anyway but Kenny shot himself in both feet by pronouncing Tim Howard as the weak link before the USA keeper went on to have pretty much a fantastic game.

Doh Kenny!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Brad Friedel was excellent, Hamann always is anyway but Kenny shot himself in both feet by pronouncing Tim Howard as the weak link before the USA keeper went on to have pretty much a fantastic game.

Doh Kenny!!

Cue a bit of banter afterwards from all the panel, but no! Kenny stays in robot mode. A barrel of laughs Kenny is.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Cue a bit of banter afterwards from all the panel, but no! Kenny stays in robot mode. A barrel of laughs Kenny is.

With the odd exception Kenny can make some good points he just needs to lighten up a bit. He could still make points but throw a smile every now and then maybe even make the odd joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

With the odd exception Kenny can make some good points he just needs to lighten up a bit. He could still make points but throw a smile every now and then maybe even make the odd joke.

Ah come on, Kenny is a terrible analyst, one of the worst out there. Awful harsh voice to listen to as well. And as has been mentioned above, he is nearly as negative as Ray 'Hindsight' Houghton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Brady embarrassed himself a bit yesterday giving Schurrle no credit. He had the cheek to say Schurrle wasn't a good enough player to score like that on purpose!

Brady embarrasses himself every time he leaves his house. For me he brings nothing but shame on RTE for employing him, I have complained on a few separate occasions to RTE about him and typical RTE never received a reply. As such I dont watch RTE for football ever anymore as I have no interest in listening to an average player who was lucky enough to spend 2 seasons in an all conquering team before getting replaced by a truely gifted player in Platini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Kenny Cunningham reminds me to this, every time he is talking.

(it is about the sound although he looks just as interesting as this videoclip)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Brady embarrasses himself every time he leaves his house. For me he brings nothing but shame on RTE for employing him, I have complained on a few separate occasions to RTE about him and typical RTE never received a reply. As such I dont watch RTE for football ever anymore as I have no interest in listening to an average player who was lucky enough to spend 2 seasons in an all conquering team before getting replaced by a truely gifted player in Platini.

Wow..

Some of Dunphy's first targets from his pulpit in the Sunday Tribune in the early 80s were Brady and Platini. He used to slate them regularly. Actually I think his phrase 'good player, not great player' was coined originally for Platini during the 84 Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Wow..

Some of Dunphy's first targets from his pulpit in the Sunday Tribune in the early 80s were Brady and Platini. He used to slate them regularly. Actually I think his phrase 'good player, not great player' was coined originally for Platini during the 84 Euros.
    Which is gas, given that Platini had a peak that could rival almost anyone to ever play them game.

Eamon Dunphy: CONTROVERSIAL!!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Billy86 wrote: »
    Which is gas, given that Platini had a peak that could rival almost anyone to ever play them game.

Eamon Dunphy: CONTROVERSIAL!!

:rolleyes:

But you still watch him non stop, maybe just to bitch about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Wow..

He also made a similar jibe about Maradona before the WC in Mexico back in 86.....

Funny how that worked out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Did Brady steal your wife or what?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fudge You wrote: »
    But you still watch him non stop, maybe just to bitch about him.
    actually, no I don't. I have stated time and again that the only reason I've been stuck watching Dunphy is if ITV and not BBC are the alternative, since their reception has been brutal for me for a few months now. The post you are actually responding to is me commenting on him having been doing this for over 30 years based on comments he made I the early 80s. This should probably hint at it not being something I watched in the last day or two.

You on the other hand are just afraid to criticise RTE in any way for God knows what reason. You were even chuffed their their 10 second audio delay early in the USA/Belgium match last night, which says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

Wow..

Dunphy on Brady in 1983:

After Ireland lost a two goal lead against Holland in 1983 Dunphy wrote about Liam Brady:
    "" He is often looked on as a great player. He is nothing of the kind. His performance on Wednesday was a disgrace, a monument to conceit adorned with vanity and self-indulgence, rendered all the more objectional by the swagger of his gait. He was deemed by many observers to have had a splendid game.""

Now, just remember that the next time Dunphy sits beside Brady and Giles on the RTE panel and proclaims "John and Liam were great players" Eamons greatest talent is his ability to u-turn. I wish just once someone on the RTE panel would pull him up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

have watched about 20 seconds in total of ITV/BBC

much the better mentally for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭troched

Muff_Daddy wrote: »

LOL. There's certainly a lot of bitterness towards the big names ITT.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »

Not at all he 'ain't man enough :D:D:D

troched wrote: »
    LOL. There's certainly a lot of bitterness towards the big names ITT.

God no absolutely not by that token as an avid Chelsea supporter I should have a dislike for Neville & Souness on Sky but I think both are excellent. Carragher is even growing into the role though I must say I find his accent rather irritating.

Unlike some I am not impressed by names but I respect knowledge and impartiality , thus why I think Brady is akin to a unicellular organism.

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Dunphy on Brady in 1983:

After Ireland lost a two goal lead against Holland in 1983 Dunphy wrote about Liam Brady:
    "" He is often looked on as a great player. He is nothing of the kind. His performance on Wednesday was a disgrace, a monument to conceit adorned with vanity and self-indulgence, rendered all the more objectional by the swagger of his gait. He was deemed by many observers to have had a splendid game.""

Good find. Actually I think that may have been quoted in Dunphy's recent memoir, which is actually a good read.

The best paid journo in town - it says it all really about us as a nation. I don't mind someone with a bit of tongue-in cheek commentary now and again, but Dunphy's self-regarding pomposity is hard to take. And he can get quite nasty when threatened.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Dunphy mentioned in his book that he first met Brady in a lift in a Paris hotel while Brady was playing, there was an awkward silence and they avoided eye contact untill Brady gave him a death stare when he was on his way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

It used to be funny to hear him write off Manchester United and Ronaldo only for United to win the league with Ronaldo getting the golden boot.

Those were different times though and he is now surrounded by younger, more enthusiastic, more knowledgeable pundits.

Also, once or twice he's been visibly sober on air which is disgraceful. The night he said Belgium would win the World Cup he was slurring his speech and talking gobbledygook.

There ye are .......... fyp! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

Has Tim Vickery got a big role or any role on the bbc punditry panel ( sorry out of the country so dont know)
    Amazing insight of the game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

I think Kenny is a great pundit!

Richie is ok, his style and the way he speaks is rather annoying though. It's like he's thinking on the spot on how to say things. KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GONNA SAY MAN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Has Tim Vickery got a big role or any role on the bbc punditry panel ( sorry out of the country so dont know)

I think he sticks to the written word for BBC, but agree, he's know South American football inside out...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Can we please have 3x Brad Friedels on the panel!

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think he sticks to the written word for BBC, but agree, he's know South American football inside out...

I've seen him on the BBC TV panel and he's very good. You could see Shearer and Neville squirm awkwardly because they knew (a) they he was much more informed than them about South American football, and (b) he was much more articulate than them. Even Lineker was a bit intellectually intimidated I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I've seen him giving his opinions to Jason Mohammed a few times, he has a minor role.

He should be given more airtime, probably knows more about South American football than the whole match panel put together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Shearer and Guilit in the BBC studio is slightly awkward after their Newcastle days :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Lineker with another dinger there, in fairness to him he's not afraid to address the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Lineker with another dinger there, in fairness to him he's not afraid to address the elephant in the room.

What did he say?

What did he say?

They were talking about Low not being afraid to leave players out, Lineker leans over, cool as a breeze and asks "Did you ever leave any big players out of the team during your managerial career, Ruud?"

Shearer and Gullit started laughing out loud and seemed to take it very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What did he say?

paraphrase;

Lineker; Rudd you would never drop your star player would you?

Rudd; I did he's sitting next to me.

Shearer; how did that work out for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

paraphrase;

Lineker; Rudd you would never drop your star player would you?

Rudd; I did he's sitting next to me.

Shearer; how did that work out for you?

TOP BANTZ

Why is that Dutch footballers (e.g. Gullit) sound so much more intelligent than English ones (e.g. Shearer and Ferdinand)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Why is that Dutch footballers (e.g. Gullit) sound so much more intelligent than English ones (e.g. Shearer and Ferdinand)?

He speaks better English than them too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Bill: We haven't seen good football, but its been an entertaining first half
    Eamon: Didn't entertain me Bill...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Bit of a barney between Dunphy and Brady at the end there. Dunphy is just so negative against Brazil it is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Dunphy having a right whinge about Brazil's physical play. Suck it up Eamo, they are there to win a game of football, not facilitate some fancy stuff from James.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dunphy & Lawrenson are just so bitter and sad towards football neither should be allowed on tv after this World Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Dunphy & Lawrenson are just so bitter and sad towards football neither should be allowed on tv after this World Cup!

Brazil are bloody awful though and them winning the world cup would be awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

You're agricultural yourself Ray!

Jewelio Cesar should have gotten red according to Liam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Brazil are possesed now lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

LOOK AT THAT FACE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

"Mea maxima culpa" :pac:

Bill's been killing it on this world cup. I'll miss him when he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Romania?!

Where'd Giles pull that from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Did Giles just mention Romania's chance of winning this World Cup?

• Advertisement
Advertisement