Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I have to say I think the boys will be disappointed if they expect the competition to end with a flourish.

It's the business end of the competition now where defences are better and teams are cagier in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Dunphy only thinks he's Nostradamus because he called Atletico reaching the CL final. Belgium will be beaten by Messi Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah agreed, we had a goal fest in the first round, over 100 goals in under two weeks.

Now we're down to scrappy one-nils, I really hope Argentina Belgium tomorrow is a 3-3 classic, just for the lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Is it just me or is apres match starting to make more sense than the real thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Has Tim Vickery got a big role or any role on the bbc punditry panel ( sorry out of the country so dont know)
    Amazing insight of the game

He's done pieces for the BBC Sport website, done reports during pre-match and half-time if Brazil are playing or there's a big story developing.

He's also been a regular on the BBC's nightly highlights show and his contributions have been excellent. Fantastic insight, as you say.

Tim's on BBC1 now actually for the highlights show.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

Goes to show how out of touch the big wigs at the bbc are. To have a guy like Tim Vickery playing
    second fiddle to pundits like P. Neville, Shearer, Hansen, Savage and lawerson is an insult to the intelligence of its audience.
    They believe the public need a "recognizable face" rather than a smart guy with proper analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Danny Mills: 'They play the South American way, win at all costs.'

Mills' analyses and insights are always woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

To have a guy like Tim Vickery playing
    second fiddle to pundits like P. Neville, Shearer, Hansen, Savage and lawerson is an insult to the intelligence of its audience.
    They believe the public need a "recognizable face" rather than a smart guy with proper analysis.

I agree with you about his analysis, but every TV station does that. Vickery is a guy who moved to Brazil to teach English, then became a journalist. There are very very few channels who will have a commentator/analyst who hasn't played/managed the game at high level.

The sad thing being that half of these players don't seem to be able to analyse, or present their thoughts, very well at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You think its bad now, wait til Stevie G retires and we have to listen to his exciting analysis!!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

NIMAN wrote: »
    You think its bad now, wait til Stevie G retires and we have to listen to his exciting analysis!!

Or Wayne Rooney!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I always read Tim Vickey's articles. Very good journalist, he's up to speed on the whole South American Continent, and his analysis is always on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

Oh God no!!!
    Stevie G wrote:
    eeeeehhhhh y'know eeeeeeehhhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Brian Kerr on the referee utilising the foam for a free kick.

"He's very flash there with the aftershave".

Knight that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Who in RTE continues to give Ronnie Whelan work? The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He should be kicked out of the studio for his hair colour alone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Who in RTE continues to give Ronnie Whelan work? The mind boggles.

Yea, he's not great. The other more articulate analysts on RTE with him have really exposed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Kerr about Felani: "big bushy head on him"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

"The big bushy head on him!"

I love Brian Kerr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"The ref is probably looking picking on Fellaini because of his hair. I remember playing football with a skinhead and the ref was always picking on him because his hair was easy to spot"

Brian Kerr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

"Lukaku getting excited, telling the referee he was hardly offside..." Brian Kerr

Why wasn't Kerr so good when he was Ireland manager? I remember him being a grumpy little bollocks.
    Brian Kerr for Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Henry9 wrote: »
    Why wasn't Kerr so good when he was Ireland manager? I remember him being a grumpy little bollocks.
    Brian Kerr for Ireland.

Harshly treated I think. If he didn't go all out for the win v Switzerland at home and lose 2-1 I think he would have kept his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Harshly treated I think. If he didn't go all out for the win v Switzerland at home and lose 2-1 I think he would have kept his job.

That was Mick McCarthy. Kerr drew 0-0 at home to the Swiss when we needed a win and we never really gave it a go.

Yeah he was pretty conservative if I remember rightly, might have lasted longer if he'd knocked out a few gags.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Dunphy 'I've gotten out of the prediction game'

Given how he gave every team he backed the kiss of death that's probably a wise move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

Dunphy 'I've gotten out of the prediction game'

Given how he gave every team he backed the kiss of death that's probably a wise move.

Yeah, Costa Rica were doomed once he said he thought they'd win on penos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Dunphy seems to think every team is naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Henry9 wrote: »
    Brian Kerr for Ireland.

Fantastic underage manager though. We really punched above our weight and a brilliant Pats manager. Plus he did wonders with the Faroes isles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

Fantastic underage manager though. We really punched above our weight and a brilliant Pats manager. Plus he did wonders with the Faroes isles.

Didn't do as badly as people think with the senior team either in my view. Apart from the last few games when it started to go pear shaped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Plus he did wonders with the Faroes isles.
    Hear, hear! I'm from the Faroe Islands myself and Kerr is easily the best manager we've had. He always got the most out of the team, but sadly he fell out with our FA (over payment I guess), and now we have a poor Danish guy instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Dunphy: "Luiz heavily involved in not marking his man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lol RTE playing out with Garth Brooks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Wolfman Kenny haha, wonder who they're referencing there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Dunphy was on fire last night. Oh and Bill got some nice trolling in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

AC Jimbo on the Football Weekly podcast:

"Remember they're called Brazilians because the Germans tore several strips off them and exposed all the cracks at the back" :pac: :pac:

He also had a slightly more laboured quip about the Brazilian World Cup bubble being pricked by the Mannschaft but never topped his opener above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

I know it's probably been said and also know I can just change the channel, but my God RTE's studio analysis is unbelievably embarrassing.

It used to just be Dunphy would make one or two outrageous comments, we'd all laugh, and that would be that. Bill, Giles, and Brady though really haven't a notion about modern football and how to analyse a game. Brady would be the closest but he is so arrogantly biased, as well as being too long in the tooth, that his opinions are rendered nonsense as well.

I mean, it's exactly like 4 aul fellas down in the pub chatting amongst themselves, just with added commercials! They give the viewer absolutely no insight whatsoever into the game. I know RTE and others will just say 'look at the viewer numbers, they're as high as ever' but in my opinion they would be just as high if they had Moloney, Sadlier, Lennon, and Friedel in there, but we might actually hear something interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

GBXI wrote: »
    I know it's probably been said and also know I can just change the channel, but my God RTE's studio analysis is unbelievably embarrassing.

It used to just be Dunphy would make one or two outrageous comments, we'd all laugh, and that would be that. Bill, Giles, and Brady though really haven't a notion about modern football and how to analyse a game. Brady would be the closest but he is so arrogantly biased, as well as being too long in the tooth, that his opinions are rendered nonsense as well.

I mean, it's exactly like 4 aul fellas down in the pub chatting amongst themselves, just with added commercials! They give the viewer absolutely no insight whatsoever into the game. I know RTE and others will just say 'look at the viewer numbers, they're as high as ever' but in my opinion they would be just as high if they had Moloney, Sadlier, Lennon, and Friedel in there, but we might actually hear something interesting!

I've always enjoyed their analysis but last night was the first night where I was thinking, these guys just dont have a clue.

I obviously dont mean Brady here......but when Dunphy started banging on about street football being dead and kids are playing video games and somehow thats why Brazil were beaten 7-1......it was just pathetic, like the old guy down the pub.

To go with this subject, particularly it betrayed a complete ignorance of German football and the changes made in the game in that country over the past 15 years; clearly this was a huge part of last nights result, and very clearly a huge part of Germany's success is COACHING - the very thing that Dunphy thinks is killing the game.

I really hope they have a different panel tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Another thing - last week Dunphy was tipping Chile to win the tournament.

Last night Dunphy is saying that Brazil had an easy run to the semi-final and the German's were the first proper team they'd come up against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I've always enjoyed their analysis but last night was the first night where I was thinking, these guys just dont have a clue.

I obviously dont mean Brady here......but when Dunphy started banging on about street football being dead and kids are playing video games and somehow thats why Brazil were beaten 7-1......it was just pathetic, like the old guy down the pub.

To go with this subject, particularly it betrayed a complete ignorance of German football and the changes made in the game in that country over the past 15 years; clearly this was a huge part of last nights result, and very clearly a huge part of Germany's success is COACHING - the very thing that Dunphy thinks is killing the game.

I know the reason I left a post here was because last night was the worst, as you say, but really it's nearly this bad every time the 4 of them are on. There's no point in giving examples of what they say (other than for a laugh!) because the examples are endless!

Again, it depends on what you look for in your studio analysis. You don't want it to be too boring and bland, which the BBC can be at times. ITV is so full of ad breaks that analysis never really gets a chance, so that's not good either. And you also don't want your presenter and panelists being too nice, which SKY definitely can be regularly accused of.

RTE obviously don't think very much of their viewers though if they think people can take anything from their studio analysis other than embarrassment. I'm convinced that if the 4 were never seen again on an RTE soccer panel from today that viewership would not decrease and the standard of analysis would be much, much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Glebee

Dunphy has tipped everybody at this stage. Before the start he was on the radio and could not see past Argentina and Spain...

OK it was a bad Brasil team but ill give them some credit for getting passed a decent Chile and Columbia team..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Interesting to see how Ireland get on against "Ragball Rovers" in the Euro qualifiers later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

I have to say i've really enjoyed RTE's world cup panel's analysis at this world cup.

As for brian kerr, i think he is pure punditry gold,

BBC and ITV's analysis is like watching paint dry and would put a mad raver on ecstasy to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I love when dunphy describes a player as a headbanger like he did last night with David Luiz .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Interesting to see how Ireland get on against "Ragball Rovers" in the Euro qualifiers later in the year.

This fills me full of dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

cson wrote: »
    This fills me full of dread.

Germany are Ragball Rovers?

Anyway, for our match against the Germans we would be better advised to approach it as damage limitation. We will not win - no chance, highly unlikely to get a draw, and most likely lose by a few goals. Just don't allow a cricket score and kill our GD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

It's equally hilarious and terrifying to think that we have to play this team on their home patch in little over 3 months from now. I just hope we have available whatever our best team is on 14/10. Might be the difference between 0-2 and 0-6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

I think the reason why RTE still have Dunphy about is because they know what happens in most workplaces around the country over the last decade or 2

"... did you hear/see Dunphy last night".

It is still happening and he is on the panel 20 years I think. He brings viewers to it. He is probably the reason why I watch RTE analysis over the banal stuff that BBC and ITV serve up, where no-one will ever say what they are really thinking for fear of offending someone they might know.

Could you ever imagine Lineker, Shearer, Hansen, Dixon etc ripping Gerrards performances at the WC to bits? Never. Would you ever have heard them say at half-time in the Italy game that he needed to come off? Never.

But is'nt it easier to be critical from another country. Would Dunphy, Giles or Brady tear into any of the Irish players. I don't think so. It is all a bit hypocritical to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Tombo2001 wrote: »

This is exactly why I can't stand the Old Boys Club so much, and why they are literally bad for the sport in Ireland. Stupid comments like:

- Brazilian football is dead and will never be back (controversial Eamon, CONTROVERSIAL!!).

- Chile and Colombia were not good teams (by the same eejit who tipped at least one of them to win it all).

- Giving out about Luiz being hyped up as player of the tournament. I had never once before last night, and have never I certainly since last isn't, heard anyone mention anything about Luiz being player of the tournament.

- The game is dying all over the world. What the holy f***? It has never been bigger, it has never been richer, it has never been more widely played, and it has never been at such a high level globally speaking. The Billy Madison "we are all dumber for hearing what you just said" line applies here.

- The top nations don't produce talent like they used to. Look at Spain (and why do these guys keep referring to Spain as a "traditional power" because they were at best on the same level as Portugal and the Dutch prior to 2008) and Germany, both are producing tonnes of players. Argentina are not very balanced but are coming out with a huge number if forwards, Belgium and France are producing an awful lot of quality young players who should be that much better in four years as like Germany now vs their 2010 team, etc etc. Just stunning laziness and lack of very basic knowledge of research.

- Almost credit given to a German side they spent a good bit of the prematcj buildup talk g down as "not a World Cup winning side" (when it is a team littered with fantastic talent... they just don't play in England). Once again just completely ignoring what we have seen in the match excuse it makes their uninformed, poorly researched prematch gusto look as inept as it was. Poor Brazil team or not, that was the biggest WC semi final win ever, and Brazil's biggest loss ever. That deserves a lot of credit.

- I remember

- "Over coaching" is killing football. An absolutely cancerous statement, try going to Ajax or Barcelona's youth systems through the years and saying that, because those teams coach an exact style into those players from when they are barely able to tie their own shoelaces. Messi is then mentioned... he is a walking blueprint of the Barcelona youth product. Nothing wrong with that at all, but everything about this style of play screams Barcelona because it has been trained into him since 11 odd years of age. It's as if these guys don't listen to themselves speak.

Brady at least had one great comment about the Developement of the sport in Ireland being way too focused in physicality and not technique.

- If the problem is kids playing video games, etc distracting kids then how have we made such big leaps and bounds forward in rugby over the last 15 years? Because that is a sport that has looked at things progressively and at how to improve long term, as opposed to football which has had no direction in this country for a long, long time. And the likes of the RTE Old Boys Club also have a part of the blame to take there for their lack of research or insight into, and at times open hostility towards, the modern game and tactical approaches in general. Remember that next time Giles rants on about "I don't believe in tactics and all that nonsense, just put your 11 best players out there and let them play football."

Does anyone remember that episode of the Simpson's where Mr Burns asks Grandpa Simpson if he can go five seconds without embarrassing himself, right before his pants fall down and he asks "how long was that?". That is what this punditry team has become at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Rookster wrote: »
    But is'nt it easier to be critical from another country. Would Dunphy, Giles or Brady tear into any of the Irish players. I don't think so. It is all a bit hypocritical to be honest.
    They do sometimes it conveniently forget it once/if those players come good, typical of the cowardly lack of ownership these guys take of their comments did the road despite being so boastful about how "outspoken" etc they are.

RTEs ratings in large part can be put down to them being Irish/the national broadcaster in my mind also. You could put Father Stone on there and a lot of people would watch it over the BBC/ITV for whatever reason.

Really praying three of Richie/Didi/Kenny/Brad are on with Darragh are on tonight, but let's be real here... it's probably the Old Boys Club again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I don't suppose there's any footage out there of Dunphy saying 'German football is dead and will never be back' circa Euro 2000?

Advertisement