Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Billy86 wrote: »
    They do sometimes it conveniently forget it once/if those players come good, typical of the cowardly lack of ownership these guys take of their comments did the road despite being so boastful about how "outspoken" etc they are.

RTEs ratings in large part can be put down to them being Irish/the national broadcaster in my mind also. You could put Father Stone on there and a lot of people would watch it over the BBC/ITV for whatever reason.

Really praying three of Richie/Didi/Kenny/Brad are on with Darragh are on tonight, but let's be real here... it's probably the Old Boys Club again.

Billy don't be silly they get the ratings cause they don't pull their punches and tell it how it is.

God Kenny is a miserable git, the other three ain't bad but I say it be Ronnie/Richie/lennon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Looper007 wrote: »
    Billy don't be silly they get the ratings cause they don't pull their punches and tell it how it is.

God Kenny is a miserable git, the other three ain't bad but I say it be Ronnie/Richie/lennon.
    Got any I found on the ratings dipping when the Old Boys Club are not on for bigger games? Because otherwise they don't really mean much of anything, which is exactly my point.

Do agree in parts about Kenny but at least he researches who is playing and generally known his stuff. Friedel made a clown of him over Tim Howard though, because Brad is awesome. Not going to happen but if RTE can convince him to stay on after he retires (surely) at the end of the season if he stays living in the UK or Ireland that would be a massive coup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

The old boys club are on for the rest if the tournament. Neil pushed back to the highlights show. Brad and Didi gone home maybe. Didi might be in Brazil.

Neeson wrote: »
    The old boys club are on for the rest if the tournament. Neil pushed back to the highlights show. Brad and Didi gone home maybe. Didi might be in Brazil.
    Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
    I think the reason why RTE still have Dunphy about is because they know what happens in most workplaces around the country over the last decade or 2

"... did you hear/see Dunphy last night".

It is still happening and he is on the panel 20 years I think. He brings viewers to it. He is probably the reason why I watch RTE analysis over the banal stuff that BBC and ITV serve up, where no-one will ever say what they are really thinking for fear of offending someone they might know.

Could you ever imagine Lineker, Shearer, Hansen, Dixon etc ripping Gerrards performances at the WC to bits? Never. Would you ever have heard them say at half-time in the Italy game that he needed to come off? Never.

I think the bit about Dunphy bringing/keeping viewers is horseshíte to be honest. I bet you would/will still watch RTE when the 4 aul fellas have left. Also, this idea that BBC's coverage is really boring is (in my opinion) rubbish as well. Gimme some decent insight, good production value, interesting stats, polished presenter, ahead of the muck that's on RTE. (Again, just making the point, I know I can switch channels!)

Everything Dunphy says is 'lowest common denominator stuff', i.e. he has nothing insightful to say so he just says something controversial. If that provides you with entertainment fair enough, but it wore off a long time ago for me. By the way, the BBC are well able to criticise their own team but they just do it in a way more reasoned way than the childish stuff RTE come out with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Neeson wrote: »

Hopefully they'll let the Apres Match people do the 3/4 place game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

roanoke wrote: »

I think they are doing it.

roanoke wrote: »

they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Found Dunphys comments about "There's never gonna be another....*insert famous old footballer here".

Yes Eamonn, the game has moved on to higher levels. Players are more complete. We've seen 2 of the best ever footballers in ROnaldo and Messi. Bale is from wales, I think Eamonn forgot that.

Found Dunphys comments about "There's never gonna be another....*insert famous old footballer here".

Yes Eamonn, the game has moved on to higher levels. Players are more complete. We've seen 2 of the best ever footballers in ROnaldo and Messi. Bale is from wales, I think Eamonn forgot that.
    Ramsay as well. It was weird that he mentioned Allchurch too, and not John Charles.

But what do you expect, he was again hyping up Brady, who he constantly seemed to be taking swipes at during his playing days. Never ending embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

Giles is a dinosaur and bigot. As far as he is concerned no one compares to his Leeds team of 50 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Rookster wrote: »
    Giles is a dinosaur and bigot. As far as he is concerned no one compares to his Leeds team of 50 years ago.

bigot :confused: ??

A tad bit harsh don't you think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How is Gilesy a bigot?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

God I can't stand it when Dunphy sucks up to Giles and Brady during his "the game is in decline Bill, no more great players" speech. And does anyone remember during the last World Cup when Eamon said that James Milner was a great young player :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ramsay as well. It was weird that he mentioned Allchurch too, and not John Charles.

But what do you expect, he was again hyping up Brady, who he constantly seemed to be taking swipes at during his playing days. Never ending embarrassment.

See my post earlier in this thread quoting Dunphy on Brady in 1983 - "some people say he is a great player - he is nothing of the kind" Last night, again "John and Liam were great players." Hypocrite.

KungPao wrote: »
    Germany are Ragball Rovers?

Anyway, for our match against the Germans we would be better advised to approach it as damage limitation. We will not win - no chance, highly unlikely to get a draw, and most likely lose by a few goals. Just don't allow a cricket score and kill our GD.

No, he said Scotland have a Ragball Rovers team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bill just called Argentina... Brazil :pac:

Don't tell the lads at RTE, but ITV are billing this (no pun intended) as Holland v Argentina. :eek:

Ha ha - Eamonn just now "I've been changing my mind all day, every ten minutes" Really, Eamonn ? Not like you at all. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

"They get penised..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

circadian wrote: »
    "They get penised..."

Heard that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Giles says Van Robben again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

George Hamilton during the penalty shootout tonight when Argentina went 3-1 up:

"And now the awful realisation has dawned on these players that it's down to Dirk Kuyt"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Giles when Robben went over to his crying son: "He should dive over the thing there to him"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

trashcan wrote: »
    No, he said Scotland have a Ragball Rovers team.
    Thanks.

Was confused by that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Couldn't believe what I was hearing before the penalty shootout.

The 3 of them all agreed that the goalkeeper can save a penalty by psychologically tormenting the taker I.e by moving to the right they'll shoot to the left and that way the keeper would know which way to dive, that sort of stuff. That's fair enough but Brad Friedel was on the show a while back and he was adament that saving a penalty was more luck than anything else. As in it is complete guesswork by the keeper on which way to dive. I'll probably take a seasoned goalkeeper's word for it instead of listening to the "psychologists" on RTE.

But that wasn't the worst.. Brady (maybe it Giles?) really began to take the piss soon after. They said that there was only two places a player could place their penalties, the right side or the left side. Therefore if a player hits it on target its essentially 50/50 whether he will score or not since the keeper can only dive to one side. There was so many things wrong with that, I didn't even know where to start. Obviously they'd never heard of shooting a penalty straight down the middle of the goal. And I'm pretty sure more than 50% of penalties that are on target actually go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It was Giles.

I think he was just saying that if you were to choose left or right and hit the target you have a 50% chance of scoring. The keeper will go one say or the other. What he was saying is true. Then again, if you include the middle it would be a 33.333333333% chance of success.

Of course a middle shot could be saved by the foot while diving left or right. Therefore, Giles was probably correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Then theres high and low left and right, hittibg the post, hitting the keeper & still scoring.....mehhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Last night the bbc hammered rte out of the park by merely analysing the football. It may have been a poor game but there were some great defensive displays in which the bbc effectively analysed.

The RTE guys shrugged it off with the usual "its not like the old days nonsense". I'd love to send a twitter in asking them if they are planning to actually analyse the game in front of them or phone it in like they did in the semi finals.

I wish those three would retire with bill.

Last night the bbc hammered rte out of the park by merely analysing the football. It may have been a poor game but there were some great defensive displays in which the bbc effectively analysed.

The RTE guys shrugged it off with the usual "its not like the old days nonsense". I'd love to send a twitter in asking them if they are planning to actually analyse the game in front of them or phone it in like they did in the semi finals.

I wish those three would retire with bill.

Can RTE please analyse some of Giles's games as a player! Then we can compare rather than listening to this old guff from Dunphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

I hate Dunphy's assertions that if he hasn't heard of a player they are ****e unless they score a hat trick. Perez was probably one of the best players on the park in the first half yesterday yet at half time Dunphy called him very limited. Also he thinks the Argentine defence is ****e for some reason even though they've barely given up a chance since Demichelis came in for Fernandez.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Can RTE please analyse some of Giles's games as a player! Then we can compare rather than listening to this old guff from Dunphy.

Giles was no Billy Wedlock, that's for sure.

I hate Dunphy's assertions that if he hasn't heard of a player they are ****e unless they score a hat trick. Perez was probably one of the best players on the park in the first half yesterday yet at half time Dunphy called him very limited. Also he thinks the Argentine defence is ****e for some reason even though they've barely given up a chance since Demichelis came in for Fernandez.

Dunphy is the village idiot who must have got no attention as a child. He has called Kevin Moran & Dave O Leary great players yet not Maradona. The guy is a clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Are the apres match lads doing the commentary on Saturday too? That would be gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Are the apres match lads doing the commentary on Saturday too? That would be gold!

Indeed they are.

Scratch that, i thought you meant the studio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'd love if the Apres match lads could do commentary, they would tear Brian Kerr and Peter Collins to shreds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ehh remmeber that kick in the calf Sneijder got last night.
    Ok if you have it on computer or recorded on Skybox, etc just rerun continously for half an hour.
    Now you have idea what Giles was capable of some of the time he was playing.

Granted he was a damm good player, but he was also a little boll** that would make the the so called more moden hardmen like Roy Keane or Vinnie Jones look like school kids.
    I remember Giles always saying that Jones wasn't a hard man since he could only dish it out.
    And coming from Gilesy and his expertise in that area I would highly rate that opinion.

Also being fair on Giles the tackling back in his day from all players would have a modern day Ronaldo, Roben peeing in their pants refusing to come out of the tunnel.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Hope they have Kenny in for the third place playoff - it's mesmerising.

ryhZqfc.gif

jmayo wrote: »
    ehh remmeber that kick in the calf Sneijder got last night.
    Ok if you have it on computer or recorded on Skybox, etc just rerun continously for half an hour.
    Now you have idea what Giles was capable of some of the time he was playing.

Granted he was a damm good player, but he was also a little boll** that would make the the so called more moden hardmen like Roy Keane or Vinnie Jones look like school kids.
    I remember Giles always saying that Jones wasn't a hard man since he could only dish it out.
    And coming from Gilesy and his expertise in that area I would highly rate that opinion.

Also being fair on Giles the tackling back in his day from all players would have a modern day Ronaldo, Roben peeing in their pants refusing to come out of the tunnel.

skip to 3:48, Giles would have been give a lengthy ban these days for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

George Hamilton during the penalty shootout tonight when Argentina went 3-1 up:

"And now the awful realisation has dawned on these players that it's down to Dirk Kuyt"

If there was anyone in that Dutch team I'd put my house on to step up and score in a penalty shootout it's Dirk Kuyt.

Looper007 wrote: »

skip to 3:48, Giles would have been give a lengthy ban these days for this.
    ...while he, Dunphy, etc complained that "this is a classic example of the beauty going out of the game. It is just cynical nonsense and will never be as good as it was again because of stuff like we are seeing tonight." ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

If there was anyone in that Dutch team I'd put my house on to step up and score in a penalty shootout it's Dirk Kuyt.

It is embarrassing what those old farts have been spouting out about the Dutch team during the WC most of the time.
    Add to that the **** commentary of Houghton and Whelan who must have had their puppies and kittens kidnapped and killed by Dutch, so ****ing bitter they sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

Don't you mean Lorenzo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Brian Kerr discussing what rating Robben's dives would get in the Olympics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Brian Kerr discussing what rating Robben's dives would get in the Olympics :D

He can't seem to understand the concept of balance.

What actually happened was Robben got pushed off the ball and, trying to win back, tripped and lost his balance.

According to Brian Kerr, he threw his leg at the Brazilian and dived.

Also when Robben is straight through on goal does the matter of a few inches really mean so much that the referee's decision to award a penalty is completely wrong? And what does being African have to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Kerr: "apologise to the ref as well because he'll be waiting for you outside"

Classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

'maxwell's silver hammer', Brian Kerr 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Brazil have 'Right Said Fred' on the bench.

Classic Brian Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Give the Golden Boot to Brian Kerr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Van Hanegem - Ben Hannigan. Burst out laughing at that. Brian Kerr is great at puns and Irish football History.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Kerr on Scolari " He'll be on the dole queue on Monday morning" :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement