Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I was more or less talking about Didi and Richie. Going for the HD quality so havent seen any of the beeb or itv coverage.

Yeah its the ITV that I was referring to. I'll stick on RTE after the match. BBC has actually been my favorite pundits so far.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Yeah its the ITV that I was referring to. I'll stick on RTE after the match. BBC has actually been my favorite pundits so far.

Keane is a big loss to ITV imo. Whether you agree or disagree with him he gives his own honest assessment of things. Lee Dixon is the best of ITV though. On BBC i like Danny Mills, Garth Crooks and Savage is alright too but Hansen, Shearer, etc are insufferable.

Whoever the main commentator with Jim Beglin was on RTE earlier for the Holland Vs Australia match was a disgrace.

Kept getting Sneijder and Robben mixed up. Even got Robben and Vlaar mixed up at one stage when Vlaar was going in for a header at a corner.

(I know it's not punditry but seems the most obvious thread)

Keane is a big loss to ITV imo. Whether you agree or disagree with him he gives his own honest assessment of things. Lee Dixon is the best of ITV though. On BBC i like Danny Mills, Garth Crooks and Savage is alright too but Hansen, Shearer, etc are insufferable.

Yeah I must agree about Keane but I think Hansen is finished. I did like the likes of Lennon, Savage, Henry, Seedorf and Juninho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Whoever the main commentator with Jim Beglin was on RTE earlier for the Holland Vs Australia match was a disgrace.

Kept getting Sneijder and Robben mixed up. Even got Robben and Vlaar mixed up at one stage when Vlaar was going in for a header at a corner.

(I know it's not punditry but seems the most obvious thread)

That's Stephen Alkin, the man who referred to Sergio Aguero as Maradonas nephew.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Dunphy on Yaya Toure 'He wants cake, but you need to put pound notes in it'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Good stuff by Stephen Alkin: "José Pékerman, the Argentinian, from Argentina"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Brady giving out to Dunphy for talking about Hurling :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Man I don't like Garth at all. Interviews footballers in such a serious, I'm getting to the heart of things, sort of way but essentially just asking the same old boring meaningless questions anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Glebee

liam, Eamon and John all agreed before the match that Suarez was not 100 per cent fit and was a huge gamble to play him, madness even. Suarez plays 80 minutes and scores two cracking goals. lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

'Roy Hodgson hasn't been down any back alleys', Gilesy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Dunphy is a massive pain in the hole

Was I hibernating when England were so brilliant when Terry and Cole were in England's back 4???

How does he get the job? Been asking it for years!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Would he kill his granny?

Would he kill his granny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

giles "would he kill his granny?"

big fan of Stephen Ireland so.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

"Would he kill his granny? That lad would kill his granny, and his grandad, to win a match" - John Giles.

Wouldn't get that on BBC or itv.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ger8

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Would he kill his granny?

Best one so far. Excellent carry on. Where would ya get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Did Johnny just say Bobby Collins would be in that team? Bobby was 82 when he died.I think Johnny is past it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Billo struggling to keep the grin off his face while saying "England beaten. Unfortunately"

About as sincere as Eamo's apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The lads justified the license fee tonight.
    The way Gilesy delivered that Grannyicide line was pure comedy gold.
    They may often be completely past it when it comes to tactics and the reality of the modern game but when they are good I wouldn't change them for the world. I thought their dissection of England was good, but then the cherry on top was Johns moment of genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

anyone got a youtube link to tonights England post match analysis ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Dunphy spewing tonight that England needed Terry because he's tough. And to emphasis Terry's toughness, he told us about how Terry once parked in a disabled parking spot. Yes, that is the kind of tough manly man sort of stuff, that us mere mortal men can only aspire to.

After showing Alvaro Pereira arguing with the doctor, after the Granny comments were brought up by Giles:

"Would Alvaro kill his granny?"
    "He's already killed her, Bill"

Gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If your gonna come at all, make sure you come hard

Or words to that effect from Brian Kerr, had me in tatters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Collins came out with a classic in second half of France Swiss game tonight,French well on top at time.
    Cue the following!- 'lovely interplay there between Valbuena and Debuchy,looking at those two reminds me of Xavi and Iniesta at their peak'

France vs Switzerland.

Houghton: "The Swiss need to give it to Shakira more"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dunphy "benzema part of the mutiny in 2010"

French WC squad in 2010

http://soccerlens.com/france-2010-world-cup-squad/44689/

Someone is missing........

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Dunphy "benzema part of the mutiny in 2010"

French WC squad in 2010

http://soccerlens.com/france-2010-world-cup-squad/44689/

Someone is missing........

A world of information at our fingertips these days and yet the RTE panelists are as incompetent as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's got to be only a matter of time before they start boxing live on air :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Cunningham just comes off badly to me anytime I watch him

nuxxx wrote: »

Its the eyebrows...they freak me the **** out.

Given that England hadn't much better in both Cahill and Jagielka id say that perhaps that Dunphy could have had a point. Alot of us who rated Baines got it wrong too. Not international class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think Cunningham's buoyant eyebrows and rapid fire monologue distract from the fact that he really knows his stuff.

Darragh asked a question this evening about what defender/defense had impressed at the cup so far.
    Kenny named a noteworthy defense- Costa Rica, a noteworthy defensive partnership- Columbia and then he singled out an individual performer- Martins Indi from The Netherlands. His answer was comprehensive and knowledgeable.

Dunphy was an embarrassment in comparison- He claimed good defenders were rare at the tournament. Now that's a reasonable thing to say, but it easier to say there's no real defenders out there, than it is to admit you don't really know of any. He spent a bit of time waffling on about the greatness of Cannavarvo, a subject he has mentioned on more than one occasion, but entirely without relevance in regards to the original question. He then maybe felt a rare smidge of guilt for having dodged the question entirely and made mention of Varane, which was handy considering he'd played in the proceeding match that was then been analyzed. Overall he gave the impression that he hadn't a clue really.

Arghus wrote: »
    Overall he gave the impression that he hadn't a clue really.

Yup you have nailed almost every person working on the WC in one line.

Kerr altho the dub accent annoys some knows his ****.

And is also god.

#briankerrknowseverything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I thought after the Eng Vs Uru game, Brady said something along the lines of
    'I thought England played ok Bill... The forwards played well, but the midfield really let them down... and the defence looked shaky... And the keeper didn't have a great game...'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Arghus wrote: »
    I think Cunningham's buoyant eyebrows and rapid fire monologue distract from the fact that he really knows his stuff.

(...)
    Absolutely brilliant post. For me the Dunphy/Giles/O'Herlihy combo have become so outdated that they are actually bad for the sport in Ireland.

I know that sounds sensationalist, but while Giles knows his historical stuff well, his love of kicking and hacking in the sport (so long it is a player/team he has a bias towards) is embarrassing and a style of play that has been clamped down on by refs and FIFA for well over a decade now. Bill mentioned that Honduras are a "brutal and violent team" in the build up to last night's match, and Giles' reaction genuinely seemed to think that was intended as a compliment. He also doesn't even pretend to know or want to know who any non Premiership/Champions League players are in any given game... I am quite sure he even said he had no idea who James Rodriguez was before the first Colombia game and that he just a "make weight" in the Falcao deal. Which isn't even accurate, Rodriguez cost Monaco €45mn on his own, and came from Porto whereas Falcao came from Atletico.

I think you pretty much have nailed Dunphy on the head, and his general hackery is a disgrace... remember how he spent years calling Ronaldo a "nothing player" who wouldn't ever amount to anything, Rio Ferdinand a "clown" of a player (and back to Giles for a moment who frequently says he doesn't like defenders who are good with the ball at their feet), and in Euro 08 how he kept calling David Silva a "nothing player" who was only in the Spain squad to add pace (when he is not even particularly fast!). His genuine opposition to knowledge and research is again an embarrassment and does nothing to help Ireland update how we view the game being played (e.g. putting more of an emphasis on technique from a young age rather than just kick and run nonsense).

I included Bill be as he seems to think them both infallible, and anyone who disagrees with them on the show winds up getting patronised by the bloody presenter! It adds to this woefully false perception a lot of the public have of those two being some "all knowing" or even half knowing combo. This shows especially when guys like Souness/Hamann/Ardilles are on the show and seem to spend half the time wondering what the f*** the other eejits are talking about.

I didn't like Darragh initially but he has really grown into the role, and for my money is the far better presenter. Sadlier is a quality pundit too, like Cunningham he really knows his stuff and does his research, but he is also very articulate and is great at showing the logic behind his opinions. Kenny is well researched and knows the game quite well, but as has been mentioned he really lacks some communication skills in terms of tone/use of voice, body language, eyebrow language, and constantly looking incredibly angry. Without joking, he needs to get some coaching or take some kind of a brief course to fix this stuff, because it really does hurt how he comes across on screen.

Brady is painfully boring but has decent knowledge particularly of youger players, and Whelan is okish as well I guess. But Dunphy and Giles should have gone years ago, and keeping them around does nothing but help promote poor research and archaic approaches to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I thought Cunningham done very well

Billy86 wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant post. For me the Dunphy/Giles/O'Herlihy combo have become so outdated that they are actually bad for the sport in Ireland.

I know that sounds sensationalist, but while Giles knows his historical stuff well, his love of kicking and hacking in the sport (so long it is a player/team he has a bias towards) is embarrassing and a style of play that has been clamped down on by refs and FIFA for well over a decade now. Bill mentioned that Honduras are a "brutal and violent team" in the build up to last night's match, and Giles' reaction genuinely seemed to think that was intended as a compliment. He also doesn't even pretend to know or want to know who any non Premiership/Champions League players are in any given game... I am quite sure he even said he had no idea who James Rodriguez was before the first Colombia game and that he just a "make weight" in the Falcao deal. Which isn't even accurate, Rodriguez cost Monaco €45mn on his own, and came from Porto whereas Falcao came from Atletico.

I think you pretty much have nailed Dunphy on the head, and his general hackery is a disgrace... remember how he spent years calling Ronaldo a "nothing player" who wouldn't ever amount to anything, Rio Ferdinand a "clown" of a player (and back to Giles for a moment who frequently says he doesn't like defenders who are good with the ball at their feet), and in Euro 08 how he kept calling David Silva a "nothing player" who was only in the Spain squad to add pace (when he is not even particularly fast!). His genuine opposition to knowledge and research is again an embarrassment and does nothing to help Ireland update how we view the game being played (e.g. putting more of an emphasis on technique from a young age rather than just kick and run nonsense).

I included Bill be as he seems to think them both infallible, and anyone who disagrees with them on the show winds up getting patronised by the bloody presenter! It adds to this woefully false perception a lot of the public have of those two being some "all knowing" or even half knowing combo. This shows especially when guys like Souness/Hamann/Ardilles are on the show and seem to spend half the time wondering what the f*** the other eejits are talking about.

I didn't like Darragh initially but he has really grown into the role, and for my money is the far better presenter. Sadlier is a quality pundit too, like Cunningham he really knows his stuff and does his research, but he is also very articulate and is great at showing the logic behind his opinions. Kenny is well researched and knows the game quite well, but as has been mentioned he really lacks some communication skills in terms of tone/use of voice, body language, eyebrow language, and constantly looking incredibly angry. Without joking, he needs to get some coaching or take some kind of a brief course to fix this stuff, because it really does hurt how he comes across on screen.

Brady is painfully boring but has decent knowledge particularly of youger players, and Whelan is okish as well I guess. But Dunphy and Giles should have gone years ago, and keeping them around does nothing but help promote poor research and archaic approaches to the game.

I have never spoken to anyone that believed them to be infallible in footballistic terms.
    I would also argue that Brady has much more knowledge than them too, unless it has some connection to Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I have never spoken to anyone that believed them to be infallible in footballistic terms.
    I would also argue that Brady has much more knowledge than them too, unless it has some connection to Arsenal.
    It was more a comment on Bill seeing them as borderline infallible based on his reaction to any guests who disagree with them, but having said that I have come across a lot of people who consider them extremely knowledgeable, as in the best on TV. Which is baffling.

Your Brady comment confuses me. Do you mean he only has more knowledge than them when it comes to Arsenal, or that he knows more than the in general but is too biased when Arsenal are involved?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I thought Cunningham done very well

He knows his stuff alright, It's his body language and general tone that are off putting for me. Even Roy Keane is able to have a laugh and come across much better on the air than he is. Kenny just reminds me of some thickheaded asshole everyone knows in real life, someone who's never wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Clive Tyldesley: "A lot of the Iranian players display their Christian names on their shirts"

Good old MON.
    (Warning contains footage of Adrian Chiles)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

(and back to Giles for a moment who frequently says he doesn't like defenders who are good with the ball at their feet)

Pretty sure Giles has never said anything remotely like this. (He used to despair at Jack Charltons Ireland team for lumping the ball forward from the back) What he has consistently said is that the first job of a defender is to defend. A different thing entirely, and surely something no-one could disagree with. Giles may lack the in depth knowledge of the Colombia squad, but he's probably the best on TV at dissecting a game. He used to be great to listen to as a co-commentator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

remember how he spent years calling Ronaldo a "nothing player" who wouldn't ever amount to anything, Rio Ferdinand a "clown" of a player (and back to Giles for a moment who frequently says he doesn't like defenders who are good with the ball at their feet).

I have a feeling you dont watch rte pundits much... You just hate the rte Ateam!!!

If you did you would know they all really like Ronaldo now(in the last 3-4 years, they have changed their tune and admitted they were wrong.
    In euro 2012, dunphy said "Go for it Ronnie" and basically said he loves him, sure he had money on him... Look at the youtube videos, heres one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3kL9CiAHeE

Giles never said that about defenders. Youre wrong!
    And dunphy was right, Rio is a clown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Giles is the worst bloody pundit going-
    hopelessly inarticulate,uninformed and above all, completely lacking insight.
    Darragh Moloney- an anaemic little toady!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

trashcan wrote: »
    Giles may lack the in depth knowledge of the Colombia squad, but he's probably the best on TV at dissecting a game. He used to be great to listen to as a co-commentator.

I don't remember ever hearing Giles in the commentary box but I've always felt he would be best suited to that role. As you say he's still sharp when it comes to talking about the game as he watches it, just appalling in terms of research and knowledge of the modern game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't remember ever hearing Giles in the commentary box but I've always felt he would be best suited to that role. As you say he's still sharp when it comes to talking about the game as he watches it, just appalling in terms of research and knowledge of the modern game.

Can you name me a pundit who does a lot of research?

It's not what he's about, it's about his opinion on what he has just seen and I think he does it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

murpho999 wrote: »
    Can you name me a pundit who does a lot of research?

It's not what he's about, it's about his opinion on what he has just seen and I think he does it very well.

It's more Giles contributions pre-match that annoy me than his after match comments. It wouldn't hurt if he'd make some effort to be more familiar with the teams he's about to watch. The Chile-Australia game was particularly bad.

I agree with you that he's pretty good once the match has started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭shannonman81

This world cup has been a revelation punditry wise.... An eye opener if you will.... Sadlier has been brilliant and the sooner they break up the three stooges (dumphy Giles and Brady) the better.
    Brian Kerr had enhanced his reputation no end. He is informative and funny which is very very rare.
    Jim(i used to play for Liverpool don't you know) beglin needs to be binned!

Advertisement