Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

chicorytip wrote: »
    Giles is the worst bloody pundit going-
    hopelessly inarticulate,uninformed and above all, completely lacking insight.
    Darragh Moloney- an anaemic little toady!

Brady is very inadequate as a football analyst. In fact I rate shearer better and thats saying something. Ray Houghton is a joke as well. He is forever calling offside incidents wrong when the evidence indicates otherwise. Dunphy, hamann and sadlier are quality. Surprised Hamann has not been snapped up by uk broadcasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Jim Beglin is obsessed with guessing whether a goalkeeper had a shot covered or not if some arbitrary condition is met.

"Had that ball not been blocked by the defender, the keeper may not have got there."

"I think that would have snuck in if it had been a yard closer."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

yes there wrote: »
    Surprised Hamann has not been snapped up by uk broadcasters.

He's been on match of the day and has done a few champions league games with sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He's been on match of the day and has done a few champions league games with sky

I also find the RTE setup gets more out of him.

How he spoke about England and their development of players would not happen on English TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

This world cup has been a revelation punditry wise.... An eye opener if you will.... Sadlier has been brilliant and the sooner they break up the three stooges (dumphy Giles and Brady) the better.
    Brian Kerr had enhanced his reputation no end. He is informative and funny which is very very rare.
    Jim(i used to play for Liverpool don't you know) beglin needs to be binned!
    Jim Beglin is brilliant. Is able to spot things tactically very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Beglin and Whelan actually hate football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Glebee

chicorytip wrote: »
    Giles is the worst bloody pundit going-
    hopelessly inarticulate,uninformed and above all, completely lacking insight.
    Darragh Moloney- an anaemic little toady!

Moloney to take over from Bill altogether soon enough I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fudge You wrote: »
    I have a feeling you dont watch rte pundits much... You just hate the rte Ateam!!!

If you did you would know they all really like Ronaldo now(in the last 3-4 years, they have changed their tune and admitted they were wrong.
    In euro 2012, dunphy said "Go for it Ronnie" and basically said he loves him, sure he had money on him... Look at the youtube videos, heres one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3kL9CiAHeE

Giles never said that about defenders. Youre wrong!
    And dunphy was right, Rio is a clown!
    Yes... Dunphy changed his tune because it was no longer a talking point to drum up controversy and keep himself relevant by putting ABUs and Man Utd fans against each other as he was at Madrid. When he saw putting up 50 goals every year, it was obvious that he would look a fool if he kept up his agenda against Ronaldo so he had to drop it.

It's the same reason they turned out to love David Silva despite earlier labelling him nothing player who was only in the Spanish side for his pace. Uninformed, flip flopping hackery.

Giles 100 percent said that about defenders, it was in a CL match Man United were involved in a few years back, and he and Dunphy were hammering on about how much better Vidic was than Ferdinand (which he wasn't but that's another matter) because he was better in the air, made more last ditch tackles (there is a reason Ferdinand rarely needed to make them) and because they "don't trust" defenders who try to play football. They weren't talking about David Luiz types here, but an actual legit ball playing centreboard.

But it's hardly surprising these dyad... Giles didn't even know what club Khedira played for today. They barely know any players outside of England or the Champions League, and though James Rodriguez was a "decent young player" who was used as a make weight in the Falcao deal when he a) cost €45mn on his own, b) has been recognised as one of the very best young attacking players in the world for a while now, and c) played for a different club than Falcao in the first place!

They are lazy, uninformed, refuse to do research and have a view of the game that went out of date over a decade ago. And please don't try to use that "you just don't like RTE" card because it shows you don't have a very strong argument. I already said Hamann is quality, Ossie is good, Sadlier is absolutely brilliant, Kenny knows his stuff (even if he really needs to work on his appearance, demeanour, etc) and that Darragh has grown into a solid enough presenter after a rocky start. Those guys should take over ASAP, because the Old Boys Club has long since run its course.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Can you name me a pundit who does a lot of research?
    Cunningham, Sadlier and Hamann do a decent amount, as in enough to discuss the teams playing... and they are on the same programme as him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Dunphy, hamann and sadlier are quality.

Dunphy is terrible. He's there on reputation only tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I find Hamann and Sadlier very easy to listen to, they know their stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Degag wrote: »

He's there because he's a number of things:

A fantastic eejit to watch
    A major talking point
    Ludicrous entertainment
    The best wind up merchant in the business

I miss the RTE coverage because it's so nonsensical. They've figured out that the game is entertainment more than sport these days and they've adapted to it.

Nobody does it better thank RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think the reason why RTE still have Dunphy about is because they know what happens in most workplaces around the country over the last decade or 2

"... did you hear/see Dunphy last night".

It is still happening and he is on the panel 20 years I think. He brings viewers to it. He is probably the reason why I watch RTE analysis over the banal stuff that BBC and ITV serve up, where no-one will ever say what they are really thinking for fear of offending someone they might know.

Could you ever imagine Lineker, Shearer, Hansen, Dixon etc ripping Gerrards performances at the WC to bits? Never. Would you ever have heard them say at half-time in the Italy game that he needed to come off? Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I used to love when Jim Beglin comentated on Ireland games.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

Degag wrote: »

The reason I put Dunphy in there is because he says what he wants. So many pundits especially in England are scared to say anything that would cause controversy. Take Gary Neville for example, ever since he got the England job he has let his loyalties get in the way of an honest opinion. Such a shame aswell as he was refreshing and right every time he spoke when he started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I always really liked Glenn Hoddle as a pundit but I'm really disappointed in him over this World Cup.

His comments yesterday about Gerrard easily playing on for England into Russia 2018 was the last straw. Why did you have to turn into a moron Hoddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I often wonder does Ronnie Whelan realise how he comes across as a pundit? He's an incredibly bitter man, very reluctant to give anybody credit and constantly looking to stick the knife in. I would say he's a glass half empty guy but the glass seems to be always empty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Bitter is the perfect summation for Whelan, I'm just not sure what he's bitter about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

It all depends if you watch punditry to get amused or informed. Personally i like a bit of both and for that reason Dunphy/Brady/Giles are usually more hit than miss. Brady is the Italian expert, cos he played there when dinosaurs ruled the earth, Giles is the "Senior Analyist" as Bill likes to refer to him as, cos he played old Div1 and the icing on the cake is now, Dunphy started watching Sky Sports last season and came across Diego Simeones Athletico and realised they were a "serious team" so now he is the armchair Spanish expert! Brilliant stuff!

They do tend to point out the obvious more often than not and they do - especially when given an overdose of them repeat the same old bull, but they arte at least honest to a point about players and don't get carried away with anyone. I'd still tune in on them than the English purely cos they are entertaining to a certain point.

Of course, if you were serious about the game and wanted some good proverbials to come out with in the pub of work canteen to impress your mates, Sadlier is the best of the lot in the last while, totally honest, sees a great picture of the game and is kinds like Keane without the obvious grudges. I really like him. Didi is also pretty good and they should be nailed on to be the future of the program.

Kerr is ok, but he also borders the senile old man scenario as he gets mixed up at times and his sayings are gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Blatter wrote: »
    I often wonder does Ronnie Whelan realise how he comes across as a pundit? He's an incredibly bitter man, very reluctant to give anybody credit and constantly looking to stick the knife in. I would say he's a glass half full guy but the glass seems to be always empty!

Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Houghton is another I find to be quite unpleasant and snide.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I always really liked Glenn Hoddle as a pundit but I'm really disappointed in him over this World Cup.

His comments yesterday about Gerrard easily playing on for England into Russia 2018 was the last straw. Why did you have to turn into a moron Hoddle

Did he mean it from the point of view of Gerrard having no competition for his place in the team? Because few of the younger lads like Henderson or Wilshere have stepped up to the mark so far to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Hoddle compared Gerrard to Pirlo, said how Pirlo was 35 and "we're all saying how good he is". He never mentioned how Pirlo is the fulcrum for Italy, how Italy played De Rossi behind Pirlo with Veratti and Marchisio playing alongside/ahead of him to protect him. No mention of how Gerrard only had Henderson beside him trying to do the work of two or three midfielders or how Gerrard rarely got a kick of the ball during the two games as England bypassed him even though the only thing he brings to the team anymore is his range of passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

Did he mean it from the point of view of Gerrard having no competition for his place in the team? Because few of the younger lads like Henderson or Wilshere have stepped up to the mark so far to be fair.
    He said they don't have anyone that can 'control a game' like Gerrard.
    What game this was that he ever 'controlled' he never mentioned.

For some reason Gerrard is some kind of sacred cow with the British media.
    Hansen spent ten minutes explaining why one of the goals was Rooney's fault because his 'weight wasn't balanced'.

But they talked for hours about 'schoolboy defending' but never once mentioned Gerrard's mistakes. It's really very odd.

The reason I put Dunphy in there is because he says what he wants. So many pundits especially in England are scared to say anything that would cause controversy. Take Gary Neville for example, ever since he got the England job he has let his loyalties get in the way of an honest opinion. Such a shame aswell as he was refreshing and right every time he spoke when he started.
    Saying what he wants is fine, but when he talks absolute bollocks people get fed up with him.

There was a time he could be quite astute, but he went down the road of being a WUM and nothing else and he went downhill.

It's funny he always mentions Cannavaro all the time now, I remember one tournament he was laughing his balls off at Fabio falling around the place.

He's just lazy. Falls back too often on the easy way out of blaming the bad results on the guy who isn't there.

Giles jumped the shark when he got himself painted into a corner with the 'great player' nonsense.

They haven't yet explained why they've done such a u turn on Ronaldo either.

Henry9 wrote: »
    He said they don't have anyone that can 'control a game' like Gerrard.
    What game this was that he ever 'controlled' he never mentioned.

For some reason Gerrard is some kind of sacred cow with the British media.
    Hansen spent ten minutes explaining why one of the goals was Rooney's fault because his 'weight wasn't balanced'.

But they talked for hours about 'schoolboy defending' but never once mentioned Gerrard's mistakes. It's really very odd.

No Gerrard has flattered to deceive for England tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

Jim Beglin- "Algeria are like world beaters, whereas S. korea are playin like Panel beaters". Cringe and much offence to any Asian crash repair-men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It all depends if you watch punditry to get amused or informed. Personally i like a bit of both and for that reason Dunphy/Brady/Giles are usually more hit than miss. Brady is the Italian expert, cos he played there when dinosaurs ruled the earth, Giles is the "Senior Analyist" as Bill likes to refer to him as, cos he played old Div1 and the icing on the cake is now, Dunphy started watching Sky Sports last season and came across Diego Simeones Athletico and realised they were a "serious team" so now he is the armchair Spanish expert! Brilliant stuff

Dunphy's always been the Spanish expert...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

I don't remember ever hearing Giles in the commentary box but I've always felt he would be best suited to that role. As you say he's still sharp when it comes to talking about the game as he watches it, just appalling in terms of research and knowledge of the modern game.

Probably showing my age so :o He used to co-commentate with Hamilton back in the day when they had live English league games on a saturday afternoon. Also used to do FA cup finals etc. He even did a live League of Ireland game in the late 90's - Pats v Shels in Tolka, and the,1996 FAI cup final, again Pats v Shels. He hadn't a breeze who any of those players were either, but still called the games very well. As I said, I'm a Giles fan. Dunphy, not so much. What's amazing about Eamo is that deep down he actually really takes himself seriously as a pundit and a "real" football man. There was some banter on the panel about him applying for the Ireland job (just before Trappatoni left I think) I'm not even sure he was joking when he said he could do the job. Personally I think it would be hilarious to see him try. According to him the only problem the Ireland team ever has is with the manager. Be interesting too to see how long Martin O'Neill remains in favour with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Eamon saying the Koreans are a lot like the Japanese. "They're all the same in that part of the world.... Well not the same, but yanno what I mean".

Steady on there, baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Omackeral wrote: »
    Eamon saying the Koreans are a lot like the Japanese. "They're all the same in that part of the world.... Well not the same, but yanno what I mean".

Steady on there, baby!

The Koreans would have him strung up for saying that if they heard it.

No Gerrard has flattered to deceive for England tbf.
    Anyone with eyes can see that, not that you'd know it from watching the coverage.

Today was taken up with discussion of whether he would retire, Hoddle even made an emotional appeal down the camera to him not to.
    To a man they all think he should stay on to 'lead' the younger players.

True to form, he strung it out in order to garner more attention for himself.

I think he learned a lot from Beckham.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭twinex

trashcan wrote: »
    Probably showing my age so :o He used to co-commentate with Hamilton back in the day when they had live English league games on a saturday afternoon. Also used to do FA cup finals etc. He even did a live League of Ireland game in the late 90's - Pats v Shels in Tolka, and the,1996 FAI cup final, again Pats v Shels. He hadn't a breeze who any of those players were either, but still called the games very well. As I said, I'm a Giles fan. Dunphy, not so much. What's amazing about Eamo is that deep down he actually really takes himself seriously as a pundit and a "real" football man. There was some banter on the panel about him applying for the Ireland job (just before Trappatoni left I think) I'm not even sure he was joking when he said he could do the job. Personally I think it would be hilarious to see him try. According to him the only problem the Ireland team ever has is with the manager. Be interesting too to see how long Martin O'Neill remains in favour with him.

On Eamon's punditry, I like his often dismissive and stinging critiques (not to mention his "he has no guile" fist pumping) compared to the lads rigid assessments. They are the perfect foil for his showiness......baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Bitter is the perfect summation for Whelan, I'm just not sure what he's bitter about.

Anyone on here who was at a TV3 Soccer Quiz In the Red Cow, early May 2005, might recall the response of the celebrity guest, Ronnie Whelan, to the host's question "What do you think of the present Liverpool team, Ronnie?" Without hesitation, he replies, "Shoiiite!"

Anyone criticising RTE analysis is being harsh.

People obsessed with stats and research ultimately not that important.

Yesterday there was a discussion between Giles, Hamman and Sadlier about England's failures in coaching youngsters and adapting their style as they think that Premiership style football will win the World Cup and it was excellent whilst UK channels seem to just think that England were unlucky.

I always liked the straightness on the RTE panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Commentator (after ref paints line for wall) "Nice flourish there by the referee, with his line painting"
    Brian Kerr "That's a nice neat one alright, I'd say he's been practicing all week waiting on the second game"

Yesterday there was a discussion between Giles, Hamman and Sadlier about England's failures in coaching youngsters and adapting their style as they think that Premiership style football will win the World Cup and it was excellent whilst UK channels seem to just think that England were unlucky.

Nothing wrong with RTE. I just think at this stage that Dunphy is an ranter who continuously contradicts himself and doesnt get his facts right. Overall his behaviour is a complete and utter embarrassment. He would be no loss to the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Stephen Alken (RTE) commenting on the Portugal Vs USA game about 15 minutes ago.

"He's 32 years old, but his hair looks like it's about 25."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Stephen Alken (RTE) commenting on the Portugal Vs USA game about 15 minutes ago.

"He's 32 years old, but his hair looks like it's about 25."

Brian Kerr's response: "it's not in the programme notes, anyway!"

Nothing wrong with RTE. I just think at this stage that Dunphy is an ranter who continuously contradicts himself and doesnt get his facts right. Overall his behaviour is a complete and utter embarrassment. He would be no loss to the panel.

Well I find him articulate and has a tremendous passion for the game and he can rile the other pundits up which makes great TV.

He should be there for entertainment value alone.

Also, you need to think this through as Apres Match would be a disaster without him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Good analysis by O'Neill on the weakness down Portugal's left side.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Well I find him articulate and has a tremendous passion for the game and he can rile the other pundits up which makes great TV.

He should be there for entertainment value alone.

Also, you need to think this through as Apres Match would be a disaster without him.

People still watch that?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Kerr 'Even if I was a linesman, I'd get that right'

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭troched

Did anybody else hear what sounded like a phone vibrating while they were talking about the Ghana match-fixing story? I had to rewind several times to twig what it was.

Sadlier had the spotlight when there was an odd noise- he paused mid sentence, Michael looked over towards Dunphy, and Dunphy glanced off screen. The body language of the lads suggests it was Dunphy's phone, vibrating on the desk. It went off again not long after!

Kept hearing someone tapping their water glass every time someone answered Darragh's questions, too. Tell me I'm not the only one, or do I have to find a ghost hunter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Tonight, the BBC were using the amount of foreign players in the league as the scapegoat, and English players not getting enough game-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Henry9 wrote: »
    They haven't yet explained why they've done such a u turn on Ronaldo either.

They have on numerous occasions actually.

Anyway, Brian Kerr needs to be co commentator for the final. I'll have him over Ray, Trevor and Jim any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Turtwig wrote: »
    They have on numerous occasions actually.

Anyway, Brian Kerr needs to be co commentator for the final. I'll have him over Ray, Trevor and Jim any day.

Agree 100%.

He's been great.

(Especially when he says Shatov)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Turtwig wrote: »

He should but it'll probably be Ray "Everyone is awful" Houghton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

J. Marston wrote: »
    He should but it'll probably be Ray "Everyone is awful" Houghton.

He only get's the nod cause of what he did for Ireland in Euro 88 and WC 94, he's a miserable git and Brian and Jim would be better choices. But he's got that Job for as long as he likes so he ain't going anywhere sadly.

Apres Match has been a disaster for a long, long time. They just stopped bothering trying to do much of anything new and it's got painfully boring, repetitive and predictable.

Agreed with everyone else on Kerr though. Wasn't a big fan of his at all as a pundit, but he's an absolute revelation as a commentator! Only a small sample size but he has been the best commentator on RTE, ITV or BBC by a mile for my money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement