Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Pity he wasnt as good at actually managing Ireland when he had the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Maybe its the thick Dublin accent but I cant stand listening to Brian Kerr on commentary. There is a reason he is on the 11 o clock games mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

rob316 wrote: »
    Maybe its the thick Dublin accent but I cant stand listening to Brian Kerr on commentary. There is a reason he is on the 11 o clock games mostly.

He is one of the main reasons I stay up to watch them to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Bitter is the perfect summation for Whelan, I'm just not sure what he's bitter about.

Anfield 1989. Hates Arsenal. But his bitterness has extended in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mossey79

Probably been said already as it's obvious as hell but Ronnie Whelan is the head of Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Pity he wasnt as good at actually managing Ireland when he had the chance.

Really do not understand the stick Brian Kerr gets. His record as Irish manager was actually pretty good. Ireland were unlucky with the groups they were drawn (Russia and the Swiss were decent teams).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Kerr is outstanding. His enthusiasm for the game is infectious, and he perfectly balances the "football man" lore with insightful analysis and research, but not too much. He is seems to have a natural wit and comes out with some lovely quips.

Not sure why his accent is an issue, do some people not like Dubs?? :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks Brian Kerr constantly moans throughout the game?

One example was Uruguay against Costa Rica when Arevalo speared a ball out to the touchline onto his teammates chest -- Kerr reacts with "Ahh that's poor enough".

Does his research on players though to be fair, but less of the moaning wouldn't go astray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Kerr's amazing.
    Ahh yeah the Algerian left back, he has a superfluous third nipple and can't taste corainder. Won a Hungarian division 2 title back in 2007 but he missed the last game to go to his brother's wedding.... somewhat controversially.
    We played the Ecuadorians in a friendly with the U-16s, there were the Valencia brothers and another set of brothers in the starting 11. Unfortunately the other set of brothers never made it as pros. They sell Mexican Pine furniture over the internet now. I picked up a lovely sideboard and rocking chair off them recently. Very reasonable delivery charges they have.

May not be actual quotes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Kerr is outstanding. His enthusiasm for the game is infectious, and he perfectly balances the "football man" lore with insightful analysis and research, but not too much. He is seems to have a natural wit and comes out with some lovely quips.

Not sure why his accent is an issue, do some people not like Dubs?? :eek: :pac:

Nonsense, how couldn't you like the Dub's :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Doocey wrote: »
    Surely I'm not the only one who thinks Brian Kerr constantly moans throughout the game?

You might be.

It sounds like he loves the game and there's an enthusiasm for the sport that doesn't come across from most of the other co-commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

One example was Uruguay against Costa Rica when Arevalo speared a ball out to the touchline onto his teammates chest -- Kerr reacts with "Ahh that's poor enough".

Does his research on players though to be fair, but less of the moaning wouldn't go astray!

I really enjoy listening to Brian Kerr. He is well prepared, gives decent analysis of the game and comes across as a likable character. He has an enthusiasm that's infectious.

I despise listening to Ray Houghton and to a lesser extent, Ronnie Whelan. They offer zero insight. The player should always have done better. That isn't analysis. When Houghton isn't stating the blatantly obvious, saying a player should have done better or mispronouncing player names, he spends the rest of the time talking complete and utter gibberish.

In terms of punditry, Saddlier is excellent IMHO. He knows his stuff and delivers it very well. Even when I don't necessarily agree with him, he'll present his points in a way that you can see the logic behind what he is saying, and where he is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sorry you must be thinking of Houghton with regards to moaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Can someone explain why Donal Og Cusack was doing a segment there on Iker Casillas?
    What has hurling got to do with the World Cup?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Can someone explain why Donal Og Cusack was doing a segment there on Iker Casillas?
    What has hurling got to do with the World Cup?
    He wrote a piece on Casilias a few weeks ago
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/donal-og-cusack/theres-no-escape-for-goalkeepers-270438.html

• Advertisement

troched wrote: »
    Did anybody else hear what sounded like a phone vibrating while they were talking about the Ghana match-fixing story? I had to rewind several times to twig what it was.

Sadlier had the spotlight when there was an odd noise- he paused mid sentence, Michael looked over towards Dunphy, and Dunphy glanced off screen. The body language of the lads suggests it was Dunphy's phone, vibrating on the desk. It went off again not long after!

Kept hearing someone tapping their water glass every time someone answered Darragh's questions, too. Tell me I'm not the only one, or do I have to find a ghost hunter :D

Imagine Roy Keane in that situation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

Turtwig wrote: »
    They have on numerous occasions actually.
    I'll rephrase that, they haven't given a convincing reason.
    He still does all the things Gilesy hates and used to criticise him for.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Good analysis by Giles on Brazil's midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

"The confederations cup is a mickey-mouse tournament, Bill."

"They're a very functional team."

I think they've used the word "functional" too often to describe teams. I'd like to know the words' exact definition and what kind of team exactly isn't functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Good one from Dunphy,saying that only Brazilian fans been impressed by display tonight are rich ones inside stadium who prob don't know anything about soccer.

• Advertisement

Bill: Is there any chance they'll change tact and we'll see samba football?
    John: No.....no chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I get the feeling that Dunphy rates David Luiz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Bill apologised to viewers there for causing offence in referring to the Netherlands as "Holland".

You could see Giles throwing his eyes up to heaven, as if to say "feicin PC gone mad, wha? they're called Holland, that's what we always call them when we were playing football".

You'd think it was the most trivial thing he ever heard in his life, but he would probably be one of the first to complain if foreign commentators referred to Ireland as "Munster" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Whats this rubbish about being touchy over calling the Netherlands Holland? Very surreal altogether. I understand that Holland is a province within the Netherlands. The usage of Holland to mean the Netherlands is generally accepted. It's the whole Pars pro toto thing.

buyer95 wrote: »
    The usage of Holland to mean the Netherlands is generally accepted.

I understand it is offensive to people of the Netherlands. I'd be pissed off if it suddenly became internationally acceptable for Ireland to be known as Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Generally agreed with Dunphy about Brazil but his bit on Neymar was embarrassing. Clearly has only seen him play for Brazil a half dozen times max and is basing the rest off his Barca matches this season. For me Neymar has been THE standout so far in the whole tournament (in part because his support has been so poor).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

"No wonder the Mexican coach is doing his nut!"

Brian Kerr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Adrian Chiles just slagged off the Mexican manager about his weight.

You're hardly a skinny minnie yourself there Adrian!!

Billy86 wrote: »
    Generally agreed with Dunphy about Brazil but his bit on Neymar was embarrassing. Clearly has only seen him play for Brazil a half dozen times max and is basing the rest off his Barca matches this season. For me Neymar has been THE standout so far in the whole tournament (in part because his support has been so poor).

Robben??

keith16 wrote: »
    I understand it is offensive to people of the Netherlands. I'd be pissed off if it suddenly became internationally acceptable for Ireland to be known as Cork.

Your post makes no sense, Cork has never before been used as a substitute to refer to the whole of Ireland. People have referred to the Netherlands as Holland for yonks.
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/holland#Holland

• Advertisement

People have referred to the Netherlands as Holland for yonks.

I don't care. It is simply incorrect.

Let me make my previous post a little clearer.

If people referred to Ireland as Cork for yonks, I would be pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Brazil win group - terrible. Mexico finish second - very good and they'll beat Holland (Netherlands) who just beat Chile 2-0, who in turn will beat Brazil comfortably - Dunphy and Giles logic at its finest :pac:

I don't care. It is simply incorrect.

Let me make my previous post a little clearer.

If people referred to Ireland as Cork for yonks, I would be pissed off.

Its coz Oiiiirlland is Dobbblin innit?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Your post makes no sense, Cork has never before been used as a substitute to refer to the whole of Ireland. People have referred to the Netherlands as Holland for yonks.

You do realise that only non-Dutch people and people from within the two Dutch provinces would say Holland. Someone from Maastricht or Enschede would say The Netherlands Sure even in Dutch it's "Nederland"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Brazil win group - terrible. Mexico finish second - very good and they'll beat Holland (Netherlands) who just beat Chile 2-0, who in turn will beat Brazil comfortably - Dunphy and Giles logic at its finest :pac:

Chile ain't beating Brazil baby, take that to the bank.

The lads obviously don't follow the fortunes of the South American international teams, Chile have a shocking record against Brazil and are usually beaten before they even take to the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ulster for Northern Ireland would be a lot more appropriate if that's the point you wanna make.

murpho999 wrote: »
    You do realise that only non-Dutch people and people from within the two Dutch provinces would say Holland. Someone from Maastricht or Enschede would say The Netherlands Sure even in Dutch it's "Nederland"

Last time I checked Billo and the boys aren't Dutch, so I don't get why we cannot say Holland. It's like calling a vacuum a hoover, it's incorrect but commonly used.

Id tend to agree with them there tbh. Few of the big teams wont fear Brazil but could find Mexico hard to break down.

Neymar aside, Its arguably the worst Brazilian team in living history or at least certainly in modern times.

Robben??
    No, got to be Neymar. Robben has been class too but Neymar is a one man show out there for the most part. Feed at CF is in strong contention for worst player of the tournament, and as the games have gone on Hulk has made a stronger and stronger claim for that. He had to make pretty much everything the whole way up from within his own half or else compete with more than one defender for a long ball and control it before getting going. Without Neymar, Brazil don't make it past the group stages in my mind. It's weird to even type, but they have been that bad aside from him!

I had not seen him play much for Brazil before the WC began and was not too impressed from his performances at Barca (although it is a weird fit for him there) so I thought he might have been another Robinho. More than happy to say I was wrong, if this is the norm for him he is out of this world! There's something about him that reminds me of Ronaldinho to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

murpho999 wrote: »

The Dutch are going to be really pissed off when they find out their national tourism board is promoting the country as Holland through holland.com!
    Branding and marketing of ‘Holland’

NBTC is responsible for branding and marketing the Netherlands nationally and internationally. Using the 'Holland' brand, NBTC puts the country on the map as an attractive destination for holidays, business meetings and conventions. To market 'Holland' NBTC uses a cooperation model that unites partners from the public and private sectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Holland is generally an acceptable term when referring to the national football team.

The Dutch fans themselves have a famous chant called 'hup hup Holland'.

Last time I checked Billo and the boys aren't Dutch, so I don't get why we cannot say Holland. It's like calling a vacuum a hoover, it's incorrect but commonly used.

It's not like that at all. One is about calling a household appliance by a brand name. The other is about having respect for a nation and it's people. But you are right, both are incorrect.

But we insist on our divine right to allowed to be incorrect. Why?

Someone else in here was giving out about Tim Vickery having the cheek to pronounce Brazilian names and cities correctly. "We are the target audience and he should use the naming conventions we are familiar with" was the argument.

It's almost a "little Englander" type attitude. It's certainly very insular at the least

RTE may be broadcasting in Ireland, but there are a lot of Dutch people living here.

I really hate this small-minded crap tbh.

Blatter wrote: »
    Holland is generally an acceptable term when referring to the national football team.

Sepp has spoken, end of.

It's not like that at all. One is about calling a household appliance by a brand name. The other is about having respect for a nation and it's people. But you are right, both are incorrect.

But we insist on our divine right to allowed to be incorrect. Why?

Someone else in here was giving out about Tim Vickery having the cheek to pronounce Brazilian names and cities correctly. "We are the target audience and he should use the naming conventions we are familiar with" was the argument.

It's almost a "little Englander" type attitude. It's certainly very insular at the least

RTE may be broadcasting in Ireland, but there are a lot of Dutch people living here.

I really hate this small-minded crap tbh.

So I suppose you have a problem with me referring to crisps as Tayto's also?Give me a break.

Blatter wrote: »

"Hup Holland Hup" actualy.......sorry!

• Advertisement

The Dutch are going to be really pissed off when they find out their national tourism board is promoting the country as Holland through holland.com!

Read this from the same website

http://www.holland.com/uk/tourism/holland-information/about-holland/netherlands-vs-holland-1.htm

As they say the country become internationally known as Holland years ago an it's become like a brand but having lived there for 7 years, my experience was that people outside the 2 Holland provinces called it The Netherlands but it's not that big a deal to most of them.

Also, the jersey, see KNVB? Well the N doesn't stand for Holland.

I always thought Holland/Netherlands had something to do with Peter Pan when I was a kid. :o

So I suppose you have a problem with me referring to crisps as Tayto's also?Give me a break.

I don't give a fûck what you call them.

You're the one who keeps coming out with trivial comparisons and you think because they're OK it's also OK to apply branding to a sovereign nation?

Anyway, it's OT at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If you're going to make cherry picked argument for tradition you need to justify why it's appropriate not give questions including less controversial traditions.

For example, would you use the above example if I was arguing that everyone used to refer to black people as negroes or **** and we still should. Cherry picked comparisons for arguments against tradition are pointless. It was traditional to refer to Netherlands as Holland. But it's debatable whether it's respectful to stick to such tradition.

I don't give a fûck what you call them.

You're the one who keeps coming out with trivial comparisons and you think because they're OK it's also OK to apply branding to a sovereign nation?

Anyway, it's OT at this stage.

You began the trivial comparisons yourself by comparing people referring to Ireland as Cork, when that is never done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement