Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

buyer95 wrote: »
    You began the trivial comparisons yourself by comparing people referring to Ireland as Cork, when that is never done.

Not really, it's a really visual geographic analogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Turtwig wrote: »
    If you're going to make cherry picked argument for tradition you need to justify why it's appropriate not give questions including less controversial traditions.

For example, would you use the above example if I was arguing that everyone used to refer to black people as negroes or ****. Cherry picked comparisons for arguments against tradition are pointless. It was traditional to refer to Netherlands as Holland. But it's debatable whether it's respectful to stick to such tradition.

As someone on here posted, if their own tourist board are marketing themselves as Holland, I think I'm in the clear here as regards respect. P.C gone mad I tell you:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Not sure where to put this but heads up, Chile are currently 5 - 1 to beat Brazil in 90 mins in the second round on Paddy Power. Those are incredible odds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not sure where to put this but heads up, Chile are currently 5 - 1 to beat Brazil in 90 mins in the second round on Paddy Power. Those are incredible odds!

It's actually "Patrick Power". Address those heathen bookmakers by their proper title, you little bollox.

As someone on here posted, if their own tourist board are marketing themselves as Holland, I think I'm in the clear here as regards respect. P.C gone mad I tell you:pac:

So their tourist board has decided to dumb down to appeal to the mass market. Not surprised to see you buying into tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Dumdidum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

keith16 wrote: »
    So their tourist board has decided to dumb down to appeal to the mass market. Not surprised to see you buying into tbh.

Yeah ok, just because I don't have a problem calling the the Dutch football team Holland as opposed to the Netherland's I'm all of a sudden an imbecile. People use Holland and the Netherlands interchangeably every day, I guess were all dumb idiots.

Here is a direct quote from a Dutch person, another imbecile one would presume.
    "Being from the Netherlands, I find differentiating between these two terms (Holland and The Netherlands) to be tantamount to nitpicking. I would not hold any grudge against someone who ‘wrongfully’ refers to the Netherlands as Holland. While it may be true that Holland only refers to South and North Holland in a strictly geographical sense, it can be used to refer to Holland as a whole, too, because there are hardly any discernible cultural differences between the various provinces. Therefore, as far as I’m concerned Holland is an informal moniker for colloquial use whereas The Netherlands is more formal. No need to discern." source http://www.internationalstudents.nl/do-you-know-the-difference-between-holland-and-the-netherlands/

This whole debate is an exercise in pedanticness on your part. I understand and fully recognise the absolute fact that the countries official name is "The Netherland's," I never disputed that. The point I was and am making is that I do not see the need for hysteria over the issue. If the Dutch fans themselves, many of whom I would presume are not from the Holland region chant "Hup Holland Hup," then I think Eamon Dunphy can get away with referring to the Dutch team as Holland, as he, Billo and John Giles have always done on the show. The Oxford dictionary gives the word "Holland" definition as being another name for the Netherlands.

Furthermore, if the state funded tourist board are marketing their country as Holland.com, if the Dutch really had a problem with the rest of the world calling the country Holland then they obviously don't care enough to market there country for potential tourist in the manner you deem to be acceptable.

Another analogy would be us calling the USA, America, something which is very very common in my experience. Just like Holland is only a part of the Netherlands, the United States are only a part of America. That did not stop the RTE boys referring to them as America numerous times.

I have made my position clear on this. People do not call the country Holland with the intention of being offensive to its people.

As to your comment questioning my own intelligence, I don't really want to dignify that with a response. I am a currently a primary teacher undergraduate in Mary I, not that that is any measure of brightness. Such a low brow dig about me "buying into" how the Dutch market their country reflects far worse on you then me my friend.

Good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FatRat wrote: »
    "The confederations cup is a mickey-mouse tournament, Bill."

"They're a very functional team."

I think they've used the word "functional" too often to describe teams. I'd like to know the words' exact definition and what kind of team exactly isn't functional.

England :p

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭troched

Semantical rant

Even though I agree with you, you shouldn't have risen to the bait. These kind of tedious "debates" are already too plentiful in Youtube comments.

Let's just stick to the outrageous football-related rants of the panel. Bemused by some of the panel thinking Mexico will win their 2nd round tie against the most impressive team of the tournament so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So I suppose you have a problem with me referring to crisps as Tayto's also?Give me a break.

Can I have a packet of Tayto's please.

Here you go.

No not them, the Hunky Dorys.

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You began the trivial comparisons yourself by comparing people referring to Ireland as Cork, when that is never done.

What about Ulster instead of Northern Ireland. That's done plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Why are the people in the netherlands who despise their native country being called holland called the dutch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Why are the people in the netherlands who despise their native country being called holland called the dutch?

because they are really spare Germans

As to your comment questioning my own intelligence, I don't really want to dignify that with a response. I am a currently a primary teacher undergraduate in Mary I, not that that is any measure of brightness. Such a low brow dig about me "buying into" how the Dutch market their country reflects far worse on you then me my friend.

Good night.

Apologies mate, that was indeed uncalled for*

*I thought we were on an ad break. Seriously, didn't mean to offend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Hehehe.

That is funny, Irish people getting their knickers in a twist about whether Holland should or should not be used when talking about The Netherlands.

I am Dutch and i couldnt give a flying **** whether you call my country Holland or The Netherlands.
    The only thing that annoys me is that people not from Holland (there... i said it myself) think we are running around with a spliff 24/7. On clogs. With tulips in our hair. Going on a cheese eating binge.

I am sure there will be a couple of Dutch people being "offended" by the use of "Holland" but those are just members of the crowd that are always looking for something to be offended about.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

inforfun wrote: »
    Hehehe.

That is funny, Irish people getting their knickers in a twist about whether Holland should or should not be used when talking about The Netherlands.

I am Dutch and i couldnt give a flying **** whether you call my country Holland or The Netherlands.
    The only thing that annoys me is that people not from Holland (there... i said it myself) think we are running around with a spliff 24/7. On clogs. With tulips in our hair. Going on a cheese eating binge.

I am sure there will be a couple of Dutch people being "offended" by the use of "Holland" but those are just members of the crowd that are always looking for something to be offended about.

I have a friend from Holland (the area of the Netherlands called that) who couldn't give a toss either but I have an acquaintance from Friesland who finds it extremely offensive when people call the country Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

auldgranny wrote: »
    I have a friend from Holland (the area of the Netherlands called that) who couldn't give a toss either but I have an acquaintance from Friesland who finds it extremely offensive when people call the country Holland.

I am from the Holland part as well.

People from Friesland are weirdoes. They have their "national anthem" played during home matches of Heerenveen.
    People from there dont think as themselves coming from Holland and i am sure there are lots of them who dont consider themselves from The Netherlands either but from Friesland.

Typical roadsign in Friesland:

MishandeldePeuterNaambord15juli.jpg.crop_display.jpg

Yep... just like Ireland, names of cities in 2 languages

People from Friesland are weirdoes. They have their "national anthem" played during home matches of Heerenveen.
    People from there dont think as themselves coming from Holland and i am sure there are lots of them who dont consider themselves from The Netherlands either but from Friesland.

That 's my friend's point. It's because you are from Holland you do not object to it.

That 's my friend's point. It's because you are from Holland you do not object to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

This Holland Netherlands argument is boring and petty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

_38049220_holland_happy300.jpg

From now on he's known as Mattie Netherlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Liam O wrote: »
    Dunphy's always been the Columbian expert...
    fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Tonight, the BBC were using the amount of foreign players in the league as the scapegoat, and English players not getting enough game-time.

Is that the same BBC who have the following as pundits - Juninho (Brazil), Seedorf (Holland), Friedel (USA), Thierry Henry (France), Jason Roberts (Grenada), Robbie Savage & John Hartson (Wales), Neil Lennon (N Ireland), Kevin Kilbane and Mark Lawrenson (Rep Ireland), Alan Hansen & Pat Nevin (Scotland) ?????? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

OK, so that's Holland and Netherlands clarified.

Next up, why is there two Irelands, a North and a Republic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Going back about a week here (sorry!)... remember the panel were asked what country in the World Cup would they like to play for... Didi said the African team who were singing on the bus :), Kenny said England (boring!) and Eamon said Mexico - "for obvious reasons". Anyone know what he meant by that?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Going back about a week here (sorry!)... remember the panel were asked what country in the World Cup would they like to play for... Didi said the African team who were singing on the bus :), Kenny said England (boring!) and Eamon said Mexico - "for obvious reasons". Anyone know what he meant by that?!

They are allowed say **** on live TV in Mexico.

Is that the same BBC who have the following as pundits - Juninho (Brazil), Seedorf (Holland), Friedel (USA), Thierry Henry (France), Jason Roberts (Grenada), Robbie Savage & John Hartson (Wales), Neil Lennon (N Ireland), Kevin Kilbane and Mark Lawrenson (Rep Ireland), Alan Hansen & Pat Nevin (Scotland) ?????? :P
    You are forgetting the Premiership rule of logic: Irish, Norn Irish, Scottish and Welsh are not foreign. Not that there's a racial undertone or anything going on there, no no no.

It is funny though how some are so eager to get the foreign players out of the league, it's about the most counterproductive "solution" they could possibly come up with. England has as much young talent as almost any other footballing nation there is, but the problem is their inability to convert this to talent to refined skill. These players fail to do well at the next level because there is too much emphasis on winning, athleticism and playing to their strengths rather than refining the basics and improving on their weaknesses.

The real answer (and Ireland should take note too) is trying to create a centralised concept of what they want their national footballing identity to be, and going with it from there. There is no quick fix, so this is focusing on literally children (and not late teen 'kids') and developing them over the next decade to fit this idea. And for the love of God, finding a foemation/system and implementing it from the youngest youth level all the way to the senior team. Don't go for big name managers but instead someone who knows this system, the players and how to marry the two of them. The media would never stand for this though which is hilarious with the successes similar concepts have given Germany, Mexico, Chile, Belgium (despite their poor WC) and plenty of others.

ilInstead they had Stuart Pearce as their u21 manager for six years, and did pretty decent in tournaments if I remember correct. But out running and out muscling a bunch of other teens in a "Run run run, get wide and cross it to the big man!" is a perfect waste of time for development, which is showing in all those highly rated youngsters of the last several years who are failing to reach their hype/potential. If they had any brains they would be doing all they could to get someone like Rene Meulensteen in (a very prominent youth/first team coach at Man Utd from 2001 until Ferguson retired)... But no, instead they picked up Gareth "get stuck in!" Southgate because he's a good, old fashioned Inglishmun. Good luck with that, lads!

And stop caving into Rooney! He's nowhere near event top 20 player in the world and does not deserve it.

Meet the Mexican sports media.

Womens-Rights-to-Access-NFL-Locker-Rooms.jpg

101008-ines-sainz1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Now that we sorted Mattie's name what about Friesian cows ?
    This is getting all very confusing. :o

Feck it I might just have to go back to watching the GAA even if it all ends in tears again in September.

BTW my recommendation for RTE is to team up Marty Morrisey and Brian Kerr.

I am not allowed discuss …

Some English lad invading RTE banging the "we're just too honest for our own good" drum. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Jim Beglin on Verratti after a nice piece of skill ''he's not normally renowned for that, he's normally a gritty and feisty little player''

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Stephen Alkin 'I've always wondered about Mario Balotelli,was he spoiled as a child, he's never happy....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

"[Suarez] needed a tasty Italian"

Eamonn Dunphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Giles on the Suarez bite: "He obviously likes Italian dishes."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Lol at dunphys dig at rugby and the awkward silence after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Great comic timing by Dunphy, talking about the England, Italy group.

"Well that's 2 powerhouses of European football out. 3 if you include England" (now obviously referring to Spain and Italy as the 2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Jim Beglin " I know the game needed a bit of bite but thats not what I had in mind" on Suarez taking a chunk out of Chiellini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Brady on the Suarez bite: "He should be sent to the dentist and have his teeth extracted."

irishgeo wrote: »
    This Holland Netherlands argument is boring and petty.

We'll settle on Hotherlands in future or Nolland :pac:

Hehehe.

Whaaaat??? ....:confused::confused:......You mean you don't do that???...... Next you'll tell me you don't all dig dikes either ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I haven't seen this mentioned yet...

Bill was asking the lads would Barca or Real still be interested in buying Suarez.

Giles came out with a classic one-liner: "They'd like a bit of bite up front" :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I haven't seen this mentioned yet...

Bill was asking the lads would Barca or Real still be interested in buying Suarez.

Giles came out with a classic one-liner: "They'd like a bit of bite up front" :D :pac:

it was actually "They lack a bit of bite upfront"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

'Up next highlights of England versus Uruguay, wait, that's not right!'

Bill having a bit of a Ron Burgendy moment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

John Kenny on the Greek manager 'He has a face like a well kept grave'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Brian Kerr struggling with the Japanese player's names is a highlight tonight.

Didi being a bit of a wet blanket about Columbia bringing on the goalkeeper in the last few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

John Kenny on the Greek manager 'He has a face like a well kept grave'

Reminds me of a Jimmy Magee classic from years (and years)ago talking about a French player with shaggy hair "He has a head like an unmade bed" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

trashcan wrote: »
    Reminds me of a Jimmy Magee classic from years (and years)ago talking about a French player with shaggy hair "He has a head like an unmade bed" :D

remember Jimmy Magee talking about "the baggio brothers" in 1994. Followed by "of course they are no relation" after a long pause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Didi being a bit of a wet blanket about Columbia bringing on the goalkeeper in the last few minutes.

I don't see the big issue with it it was a nice gesture to make.It's not as if they brought in some nobody to play in the goals for the last few minutes.

• Advertisement

I don't see the big issue with it it was a nice gesture to make.It's not is if they brought in some nobody to play in the goals for the last few minutes.

He's saying it's bad karma for Columbia now, first time I've heard him talk sh1te on RTE.

Advertisement