Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Kenny going to far there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mondragon is riddled with arthritis according to KC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

kenny was in good form tonight, laughing at himself & everything, smiling away.

dunphy & the old lads must wind him up or something

namloc1980 wrote: »

that was a joke

batistuta9 wrote: »
    that was a joke

Welcome to the thread!!!

• Advertisement

Welcome to the thread!!!

oh, though you were complaining about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hats off to RTE for teaming up Didi, Kenny and Richie with Darragh tonight. Still giving plenty of opinions and some very funny moments (like the whole karma bit just now... "they shouldn't have brought on some 43 year old riddled with arthritis" ... "but the other lads have a guy... who bit somebody" :p ). But everyone was well researched, knew their stuff and were able to very competently talk about all three the days matches and teams.

No exaggeration, if it was Dunphy/Giles/Brady they would have known about 15 of the 50 odd who played the 9pm kickoffs. As in known even just the very basics like their names, not necessarily anything meaningful. The lads today seemed up to speed on a good 80% of them despite there being no major nations and the only Europeans being Greece. And just as importantly, they didn't eagerly jump to conclusions on the players they were not familiar with (an awful trait of the Three Stooges and also Whelan).

That said, I bet RTE never use them all together again.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    oh, though you were complaining about it

You what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I don't see the big issue with it it was a nice gesture to make.It's not as if they brought in some nobody to play in the goals for the last few minutes.

Which one of them said they were
    "surprised he managed to make from the sidline to the goals" ?

I thought the come back line from Richie was great ...
    Didi said he didn't now want Columbia to win because they disrespected Japan by bringin on a 43 year old just for the sake of it.

To which Richie came back with basically ...
    But what about Uruguay, they have guy who goes around biting people ?

Of course Daragh had to bring "what about the kids" when it showed the keeper collecting his two kids from the stand.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Wow Rte have a GAA man on to talk about the soccer World Cup, when is yer man who plays darts coming on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

madalig12 wrote: »
    Wow Rte have a GAA man on to talk about the soccer World Cup, when is yer man who plays darts coming on?

Was thinking the same myself clutching at straws for guests now, they had Traps interpreter on last week too :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Apologies if posted already, dont want to go trolling:

Jim Beglin@ Algeria look like world beaters, Korea look like panel beaters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

Kenny Cunningham is a miserable P**ck!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Kenny v Richie now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Cunningham seems to be p!ssing off all of the other pundits, really needs to lighten up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Cunningham/Sadlier are hilarious. "You're getting too angry...about everything"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kenny Cunningham is a miserable P**ck!

Absolute anti-craic. He's like one of those old miserable teachers you had in secondary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Lads what was the incident they were discussing at the end? Only caught the very end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Apres match are going to love Kenny.

Kenneth getting apoplectic with Lavezzi about lightheartedly sprinkling his coach with some water.

Sadlier seeing it for what it was, Kenneth going into def con 4.

Kenneth 2000 needs an upgrade if he wants to be part of the panel in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 GregGoryHouse

Davei141 wrote: »
    Lads what was the incident they were discussing at the end? Only caught the very end.

Lavezzi and the argentinian manager were having a conversation on the sideline and lavezzi squirted water from his bottle over him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Knex. wrote: »
    Absolute anti-craic. He's like one of those old miserable teachers you had in secondary school.

I can't believe many on here want him on the panel. He has pissed off Richie and Eamon so far. I doubt he last, I reckon he off to TV3 soon enough.

Kenny was on the highlight show the other day and he was great craic to listen to, he was having a blast. People are going way over the top with him. Brady is a much worse sour faced git, at least Kenny does his research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Kenny was on the highlight show the other day and he was great craic to listen to, he was having a blast. People are going way over the top with him. Brady is a much worse sour faced git, at least Kenny does his research.

Exactly. I think people just love Kenny getting a dig. He had a point though. As Richie would say many have a simplistic view of this situation. It made Richie appear like a bit of a bollix just trying to win people over. I don like him talking to Kenny like that. Not nice.

Neeson wrote: »
    Exactly. I think people just love Kenny getting a dig. He had a point though. As Richie would say many have a simplistic view of this situation. It made Richie appear like a bit of a bollix just trying to win people over. I don like him talking to Kenny like that. Not nice.

You sound like leader of the Kenny fan club Neeson :pac:

Hail Kenny.

Liam at least cracks a few jokes and doesn't take himself too serious, plus it's Liam ****ing Brady one of Ireland's greatest players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Kenny is even more miserable than Brady, if that's possible.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I can't believe many on here want him on the panel. He has pissed off Richie and Eamon so far. I doubt he last, I reckon he off to TV3 soon enough.
    As opposed to Eamon whose sole job is to piss everyone else off?

Did agree with Kenny on that when you look at the body language a with Lavezzi and the manager actually, but he just gets so defensive and angry it's insane.

Sandler on the other hand, what a man! There's no way anyone else can be the main pundit when Dunphy (69), Giles (73) and Bill (76) do what they all should have a decade ago and retire, before nature does it for them.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    As opposed to Eamon whose sole job is to piss everyone else off?

Did agree with Kenny on that when you look at the body language a with Lavezzi and the manager actually, but he just gets so defensive and angry it's insane.

Sandler on the other hand, what a man! There's no way anyone else can be the main pundit when Dunphy (69), Giles (73) and Bill (76) do what they all should have a decade ago and retire, before nature does it for them.

Eamon is great Tv while Kenny is when the other's rip the piss out of him.

Giles and Dunphy still piss over BBC and ITV's love in.

Liam at least cracks a few jokes and doesn't take himself too serious, plus it's Liam ****ing Brady one of Ireland's greatest players.

He doesn't do any research and craics rubbish jokes every 2 years. Big deal. Looper your constant slagging off of Kenny sounds a bit strange and personal. You moan about the ITV love in yet give out about Kenny disagreeing with the panel, at least be consistent..

Liam at least cracks a few jokes and doesn't take himself too serious, plus it's Liam ****ing Brady one of Ireland's greatest players .
    Shouldn't really matter all that much, especially when he retired almost a quarter of a century ago. His work at Arsenal as youth development/academy director is much more relevant as a pundit, but is offset by the fact that while his base knowledge of younger and lesser known players is better than Giles or Dunphy, he doesn't seem to do much research or prep worl for matches himself either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Brilliant stuff from the two lads. Change over to lineker et al to see how quality they are imo.

He doesn't do any research and craics rubbish jokes every 2 years. Big deal. Looper your constant slagging off of Kenny sounds a bit strange and personal. You moan about the ITV love in yet give out about Kenny disagreeing with the panel, at least be consistent..

Why would it be personal? I think he's miserable and dour, why is it stranger then you saying you like him. Very strange of you point that out. I don't moan about him not agreeing Davei but his dour and miserable personality, can he not have a laugh.

Why would it be personal? I think he's miserable and dour, why is it stranger then you saying you like him. Very strange of you point that out. I don't moan about him not agreeing Davei but his dour and miserable personality, can he not have a laugh.

Watch him on the highlight show having a laugh. Richie was talking crap so Kenny pulled him up on it. He isn't anywhere near as bad as you make out, and besides youd swear all the other lads were bloody comedians.

• Advertisement

You sound like leader of the Kenny fan club Neeson :pac:

No. But I don't want membership of the I Hate Kenny Club either. I think a lot will just disagree with Kenny no matter what he does or says.

Watch him on the highlight show having a laugh. Richie was talking crap so Kenny pulled him up on it. He isn't anywhere near as bad as you make out, and besides youd swear all the other lads were bloody comedians.

They are compared to Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kenny's grand he just needs some training in communicating. Hopefully in time he'll be far more amiable. Right now he's a bit too snarky.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Did anyone else get the vibe that the three of them were on the verge of laughing for most of the latter part of todays coverage?
    The Sadlier comments about Kenny needing to be less serious seemed almost scripted.Maloney couldnt wait to do the links to each half of the Bosnia/Iran game.(so that they could get back to laughing among themselves)

Eamon is great Tv while Kenny is when the other's rip the piss out of him.

Giles and Dunphy still piss over BBC and ITV's love in.

He's really not though, and doesn't have a clue what (or more to the point, who) he is talking about. He is "great TV" in the same sense than Mrs. Brown's Boys is, all about crude shock with zero substance to any of it.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    He's really not though, and doesn't have a clue what (or more to the point, who) he is talking about. He is "great TV" in the same sense than Mrs. Brown's Boys is, all about crude shock with zero substance to any of it.

Listening to him crap on about the England team needing John Terry and Ashley Cole was the biggest load of crap i have ever heard. His analysis is some of the poorest you will ever witness and never makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Very impressed with Jim Beglin. I think he is excellent in the co-commentary seat. He has a wide range of knowledge on a lot of players I wouldn't be familiar with and is not afraid to express it.

Stephen Alkin on the other hand is horrendous. Id say Jim does be fairly miffed with some of the garbage he does be spouting

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Good summation of the Suarez incident by Giles and Brady.

Benzema isn't playing Bill.

Brady: he is playing John.

Two old men spouting nonsense in the studio tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Tedddy

"Its only half past"

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Brady guiding John through the French players there

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

I'd say if we knew how much they were getting paid it would be even more obscene.

Very impressed with Jim Beglin. I think he is excellent in the co-commentary seat. He has a wide range of knowledge on a lot of players I wouldn't be familiar with and is not afraid to express it.

Stephen Alkin on the other hand is horrendous. Id say Jim does be fairly miffed with some of the garbage he does be spouting

Stephen Alkin and Peter Collins need to be put down. How rubbish can you be?

People are still complaining about research? that got tiresome a while ago.

I think john should retire after the World Cup with Bill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement