Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

People are still complaining about research? that got tiresome a while ago.

It is bloody embarrassing. That is their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Stephen Alkin on the other hand is horrendous. Id say Jim does be fairly miffed with some of the garbage he does be spouting

I always liked Alkin, But today for the argentina v nigeria match, he was cringy...
    Id say Jim was close to losing the head with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Davei141 wrote: »

Yet they always pull in big viewership Davei :) So someone people are enjoying them for the last twenty something years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Stephen Alkin and Peter Collins need to be put down. How rubbish can you be?

Stephen Alkin's commentary on the Italy-Uruguay game had a really sarcastic tone to it at times, like he was mocking the players for some of their carry-on. I don't think that kind of editorial style goes too well in football commentary.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Their job is to keep people tuned in to RTE, given the amount of people who claim to don't like them yet still watch shows they are doing a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

No its not. Maybe you would go and memorize every player in the tournament, all 32 teams, all 23 players on each team. When you do, apply for a job with rte.

Cause once you know every detail about the players, they you will have excellent knowledge about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Their job is to provide ANALYSIS and entertainment yet they clearly come to the table ill prepared. "I don't much about them Bill".

That's your fcking job! It's a very valid criticism.

If they did some research they'd likely be even more entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I prefer the world weary been there done it style of Messrs Giles and Brady over an encyclopaedic 'knowledge' of the game from the likes of Ballague, Hunter, Marcotti, etc.. any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Oh agreed ballague is awful. But that's not the criticism. If Giles watched more games other than the premier league he'd be a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Turtwig wrote: »
    It's a very valid criticism.

I can understand that, but people know what they're like at this stage, it's tedious that they are are going on about same thing over and over and over again, Giles wouldn't be able to tell you a player's name or how goals he scored in the 12/13 season, but he could tell you a lot about their strengths and shortcomings after watching him for awhile.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Their job is to provide ANALYSIS and entertainment yet they clearly come to the table ill prepared. "I don't much about them Bill".

That's your fcking job! It's a very valid criticism.

If they did some research they'd likely be even more entertaining.

Viewership clearly shows people are not that bothered Turtwig.

Looper007 wrote: »

It is the world cup of course the viewership will be high! Hamann, Richie and Kenny were a much better panel and much more enjoyable. Kenny and Richie earlier were miles better than the zig and zag show of embarrassment tonight.

It is the world cup of course the viewership will be high! Hamann, Richie and Kenny were a much better panel and much more enjoyable. Kenny and Richie earlier were miles better than the zig and zag show of embarrassment tonight.

ah give me Zig and Zag over Kenny misery guts. It's also for the Champions league and the Euro's Davei.
    They are clearly liked and are seen as the best panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Why don't they bring back Frank Stapleton? He's great craic! Himself and Kenny would make a great combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fudge You wrote: »
    No its not. Maybe you would go and memorize every player in the tournament, all 32 teams, all 23 players on each team. When you do, apply for a job with rte.
    Actually it is, and only 2 or 4 teams a day need to be researched, which then overlaps when you cover them the second, third, etc time. If you cannot find info on some players, just admit it and don't try to farcically just fob them off as "no great shakes" by default. Works perfectly fine for Richie, Didi and Kenny so I don't see why the "main" guys should be held to a lower standard?

Also pundit is defined as "an expert in a particular subject or field who is frequently called upon to give their opinions to the public." Being an expert in an Ecuador/France match involves a knowledge of football, and a knowledge of the players. It still seems that the two Valencias are the only Ecuadorian they know much of anything about, and Giles doesn't even know some of the French players!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

That's fair enough, and I think RTE's overall coverage this World Cup has been really excellent, but I do think Giles & Dunphy are now seen as caracitures of themselves, and have been for a long while. This is perhaps why they get the good viewing figures. People tune in to see what rubbish they are spouting. It is good TV in fairness, but they obviously take themselves far too seriously, and that is what is a bit grating. If they didn't take themselves so seriously, it wouldn't really matter. Not that it matters much anyway! It is our tax payers money at the end of the day. There was a big 2 page self-congratulatory spread with Billo and the boys before the last Euros I think, how much better they were than BBC/ITV. Cringeworthy stuff.

It's a pity because RTE do make the effort with the likes of Kerr, Sadlier, Kenny in fairness, Hamann, et al providing superb analysis and knowledge. Contrast that with the Giles/Brady/Dunphy approach which is embarrassingly littered with mistakes. Another example was Brady and Giles trying to preview the France v Ecuador game tonight. Giles was embarrassing. If RTE are going to take that approach to games, then do it properly! Otherwise, just let Giles preview the game in his generic sort of way.

I think if it wasn't for the for the likes of Kerr, Sadlier, et al, RTE's coverage would be seriously lacking, and would really show up Giles/Brady/Dunphy. I heard Dunphy on the radio on Sunday morning and the topic of the banter with Cunningham was broached. Dunphy interestingly said that Kenny was a young gun, the implication being that he had to be put in his place. Then the conversation moved to some other topic.

Sky sports since they decided to actually get people who didn't treat their audience with contempt and offer up proper analysis have been a revelation this year. Giles and Brady were bloody embarrassing today, like 2 senile old lads discussing the game.

ah give me Zig and Zag over Kenny misery guts. It's also for the Champions league and the Euro's Davei.
    How do their ratings compare to Sky for Champions League coverage?

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Dunphy interestingly said that Kenny was a young gun, the implication being that he had to be put in his place. Then the conversation moved to some other topic.

You know they treated Sadlier the exact same way when he came on the scene. The lads could barely hide their contempt for being shown up for doing no research.

• Advertisement

like 2 senile old lads discussing the game.

Why do people persist in saying this when they are obviously not senile, just seems like a very childish insult to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great line from Ray Houghton tonight when the Ecuador keeper came for a cross and put Benzema off a header,

"he was nowhere near that, absolutely nowhere near it ....... wait I think he might have got a touch on it".

As for Kenny's eyebrows, I think he must be reading this thread, as his brows weren't as agitated earlier.
    But he's still talking balls, he already has fallen out with Dunphs, now you could see Sadlier giving him the "catch yourself on" look a couple of times during their analysis, especially about the guy splashing the manager with water. That really annoyed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Houghton's really getting on my tits with his constant whinging.

On Benzema: "he's not working hard enough for me, looks disinterested"

On Pogba: "he's trying to hard"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

"We're, we're, we're working on scraps bill"

That's eh.. eh... eh... Valencia..

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Fudge You wrote: »

Cause once you know every detail about the players, they you will have excellent knowledge about football.

Its France ffs, not Ecuador that he struggled on

There was a big 2 page self-congratulatory spread with Billo and the boys before the last Euros I think, how much better they were than BBC/ITV. Cringeworthy stuff.

Well are they much better then the BBC/ITV why is that a shoc, they bring in massive ratings and always create great Tv moments. self-congratulatory of the BBc and especially ITV when it comes to England is sicken, that's why Roy Keane was a breath of fresh air cause it told I how it was. The Glen hoddle begging Gerrard not to retire was the pinnacle of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

"This guy was literally hungry"

"That's even better"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

shrewdness wrote: »

"That's even better"

Still with the Suarez jokes, get over it lads.:D

shrewdness wrote: »

"That's even better"

Great comedy :pac: and people want rid of that

• Advertisement

"These lads have very little going for them at club level, apart from Antonio Valencia."

They have players in MLS and the German, Dutch, Brazilian and Russian top flights. Good few in Mexico too which is a far cry from the European in leagues but does pay decently enough I think I remember reading before. Brady had even said Ennerdale Valencia plays for The Club of Mexico, who I have never even heard of" when he plays for Pacheca.

But what does that matter, sure they wouldn't have even done any research beyond Antonio.

Well are they much better then the BBC/ITV why is that a shoc, they bring in massive ratings and always create great Tv moments. self-congratulatory of the BBc and especially ITV when it comes to England is sicken, that's why Roy Keane was a breath of fresh air cause it told I how it was. The Glen hoddle begging Gerrard not to retire was the pinnacle of that.

Can you write that in English by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The England postmortem continues on BBC and according to Shearer, one of the main reasons England have gone out is coz they're too nice and too honest and the front players don't go down in the box easily like other players of other countries do.

Seriously seriously deluded and retarded.

Why do people persist in saying this when they are obviously not senile, just seems like a very childish insult to me.

Oh course they aren't senile, just incredibly lazy.

Damn i hate Ray "Captain Bloody Hindsight" Houghton, should have done this, should have done that, whinge whinge whinge. Just piss off.

Can you write that in English by any chance?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The England postmortem continues on BBC and according to Shearer, one of the main reasons England have gone out is coz they're too nice and too honest and the front players don't go down in the box easily like other players of other countries do.

They hardly got in the box to go down!

Ya should have said that instead of calling them senile.

Damn i hate Ray "Captain Bloody Hindsight" Houghton, should have done this, should have done that, whinge whinge whinge. Just piss off.

Nothing is ever good enough for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They should look at the fact that guys like Danny Welbeck and Ricky Lambert are being picked to play in WCs, thats why they are struggling, not cos they aren't diving enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Jaysus Phil Neville is annoying as fcuk ,loves to hear himself jabber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Poor excuse but to be fair to England other teams do seem to raise there game against them

Peter Collins 'Some 74,000 paying customers tonight....some will want their money back after watching this'

"I wish those damn foreign players would stop wasting time, diving and play acting. What way is that to win a game?"

"I also wish our players would dive, waste time and play act more. It's the only way to win."

It's not much wonder that FIFA Fair Play is considered lip service at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

NIMAN wrote: »
    They should look at the fact that guys like Danny Welbeck and Ricky Lambert are being picked to play in WCs, thats why they are struggling, not cos they aren't diving enough.

Apart from the opening game, has there been one dodgy penalty?

Plus. They conveniently ignore that Sturridge went down like a whores knickers every chance he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Last night after Greece won, Danny Murphy came out with the most arrogant quote of the WC so far, "Greece now play Costa Rica in the last 16.Thats means that either Greece or Costa Rica will be in the Quarter Finals!That only adds to the frustration for England."
    What a muppet.Costa Rica WON their group on merit.As if England even came close to qualifying.What the hell do England have to be arrogant about?
    1966?!

• Advertisement

John Giles showing his view of football (never mind research etc) isn't at all dated. Studs up challenges are fine, sure he was going for the ball.

Time to hit 141 on the remote so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sky sports since they decided to actually get people who didn't treat their audience with contempt and offer up proper analysis have been a revelation this year. Giles and Brady were bloody embarrassing today, like 2 senile old lads discussing the game.

Redknapp, Merson, Kamara, all the presenters, Wilkins, Quinn, etc
    Yeah Sky are miles better.
    Neville on Monday might is good at times but most of the rest of their stuff is terrible. And he has a few days to rehearse his opinions on the games he is talking about but when he is commentating on a live game his quality is diminished.

Billy86 wrote: »
    John Giles showing his view of football (never mind research etc) isn't at all dated. Studs up challenges are fine, sure he was going for the ball.

Time to hit 141 on the remote so.

He showed Valencia put his foot on the ball but it slipped off it on to the defenders shin compared to the Italian's attempt yesterday which had a lot more intent in it, they obviously wind you up so you'd be as well to stick to the English channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

In fairness Rooney launched that excuse last week!

He showed Valencia put his foot on the ball but it slipped off it on to the defenders shin compared to the Italian tackle yesterday, they obviously wind you up so you'd be as well to stick to the English channels.
    You cannot attack the ball with your studs like that in that kind of situation. One hundredth of a second and you've got another Eduardo/Aaron Ramsay scenario. Which made it utterly hilarious that Brady was also against it being a red.

It's a shame too, you tune in hoping to get Kenny and most importantly, Sadlier. Only to be reminded that your wages pay for the likes of those two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement