Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformer

Options
  • 12-06-2014 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

Not radio per se, but I wondered if any of you folks might know where I can get a good quality (near silent) 240 to 120 (60hz ideally) 500 - 750w transformer in a hurry in Dublin?

Many Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

In a hurry, you could try Maplin, but it will obviously be more expensive than buying online and waiting.

The larger wattage ones seem to be very pricey.

This is the sort of thing I guess (although this particular one is marked as "web only"):
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tacmia-230v-to-110v-1000w-voltage-converter-n54hf

It's probably the case that they'll only stock the lower power ones in-store.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No transformer will convert the frequency 50Hz to 60Hz.
    Some US/Japan items are unsafe if used with a cheaper "auto transformer" converter as the chassis or some other point can be 230V from earth even though the line voltage is 115V between the wires.

Only an isolating transformer should be used.

Any motorised gear is unsuitable unless it's a "universal" type motor.

A building supplies place has good quality mains to 110V "site" transformers. The secondary is isolated from mains in, but centre tapped to earth, so no wire is more than 55V.

I've only seen useless transformers in store in Maplin.

For low power (less than 20W, so no use to you) I use a "Shaver"/"bathroom" transformer in a box.

Advertisement