Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Security Question

Options
  • 12-06-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi all. Just a quick question or 3.

I have an edimax 3g router. This router is currently up on the roof connected to an o2 dongle and there's a cat5 cable connected to it running down stairs to a 2nd router (linksys).

Now I had to reset the edimax (roof) router a while ago but I forgot to enable security settings on it so it currently is an open network where anyone can connect to the internet.

I want to set up the security on it so my question is.... can I do this by logging onto the edimax (roof) router via wifi and change the security over wifi, or does the router "have" to be connected directly to my laptop via a cable to enable the security? Also will enabling a WEP or WPA key on the edimax (roof) one have an impact on the linksys router downstairs?

Lastly, what's the best to select.... WEP or WPA Pre Shared Key?

The linksys router downstairs is also open but as it's sat here right next to me it's easy enough for me to connect a cable to it and set security up on that one.

Hope this question makes sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You should be able to connect to the roof router via the cable. The wifi security won't affect the connection by cable to the other router. Use WPA, WEP can be cracked very easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

If you're just using Ethernet you can disable wireless completely. This would also be for the best, less interference

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Thanks guys.
    I was just concerned that buy interferring with the settings on the "roof" router it would stop "talking" to the one connected by cat5 downstairs.

I've just had a go now and all seems fine. Thanks for your replies. :)

Advertisement