Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engineering

• 12-06-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey I'm doing my leaving cert now and I'm planning on doing mechanical engineering next year although I might do general engineering first year incase I change my mind.
    Q. I'm stuck between DCU and UCD. I went to both open days both are impressive colleges although UCD slightly wins on that account. So I'm wondering which provides better course, which is regarded higher in terms of employment and which has better social life really?
    At the moment I'm swaying more to DCU because of less points, intra, the options of mechatronic eng and i don't need hons physics which is my worst subject! Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Hey I'm doing my leaving cert now and I'm planning on doing mechanical engineering next year although I might do general engineering first year incase I change my mind.
    Q. I'm stuck between DCU and UCD. I went to both open days both are impressive colleges although UCD slightly wins on that account. So I'm wondering which provides better course, which is regarded higher in terms of employment and which has better social life really?
    At the moment I'm swaying more to DCU because of less points, intra, the options of mechatronic eng and i don't need hons physics which is my worst subject! Thoughts?

Firstly, regardless of what branch of Engineering you pick for DCU, you do a common first year. However, if you select Mechanical and want to switch at the end of the year it is a 20e registration fee. If you pick common, it is free to pick what you want at the end of the year. There is a gauranteed place in any of the disciplines regardless.

A degree from DCU or UCD holds the same weight most places. Course structures and content are extremely similar. However, INTRA in DCU is absolutely fantastic. It should factor into your decision. Look at the projects UCD and DCU do, the atmosphere in the college etc. and let that decide for you.

If you have any DCU specific questions, I'll answer them. Did my degree there and hung around for a PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 teutron

Hi having just finished the leaving certain it looks like I'm going to dcu General engineering, I was just wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on what modules and subjects I'll be facing that may come as a suprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Hi, Im going into general engineering aswell, I wanna know whats coming aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

A list of the modules currently taught in first year can be found here:

http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=ME

First year is common for everybody, so it is the same set of modules regardless of what discipline you picked. Of course, this is the stuff you were suppose to look at when picking your courses.....

Advertisement