Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glucosamine and Fish Oil Together

• 12-06-2014 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

At the moment, my dog is getting a fish oil supplement everyday. She is starting to get stiff in her back legs. A friend told me you can give both glucosamine and fish oil together, which will help with the stiffness.

A trip to the vets will be in order in a while, it's just in the morning she is stiff and then flying by 10 o clock herding sheep and cattle. She's nearly 14 but still flies around the place like a young dog She's in no pain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Wow 14 that's a great age!

Personally I would add some luposan pellets to her food you can get them
    Through zooplus.ie it's great for helping with joints!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I used to give my old dog fish oil and glucosamine with chondroiton. Definitely freed her up a bit, before the arthritis hit her front legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Glucosamine is very good and can be used alongside fish oil and any other supplement for arthritis. Green Lipped Mussel is also an excellent supplement.
    You should have a chat with your vet also though, because theres a treatment for arthritis called Cartrophen. Its given in injection form by your vet. The great thing about Cartrophen is alongside helping inflammation and discomfort, it actually helps increase the fluid in the joints therefore it can delay the progression of arthritis. The first course is one injection weekly for 4 weeks and that course can last the dog up to a year. Its also a very safe treatment without the side effects of NSAIDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

ArthiAid is very good - has glucosamine, chondroitin and omega oils (I think they do one without the omega oils too) - one of mine has arthritis and it really made a difference with how mobile she is. We used it on a previous dog who also had joint issues and he was flying. It comes in liquid (that you squirt into their food), tablet or powder form. I really recommend it. You can get it in vet practices, online or in some farm stores.

As already mentioned, have a chat to your vet - they will know the animals history etc. and will be able to recommend something appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Yes you can but chat to your vet and make sure you use the veterinary versions

A lot of people make the mistake of buying glucosamine in a chemist and giving it to dogs. It doesn't work. Dogs need Glucosamine Hydrochloride

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I use Yumove on my older dog.

Each tablet contains:
    Glucosamine HCl# 250mg
    Green Lipped Mussel * 150mg
    Hyaluronic Acid 1.5mg
    Manganese 3mg
    Vitamin C 12.5mg
    Vitamin E 0.5mg
    # Glucosamine HCl is the purest form available (99.8% pure)
    * Green Lipped Mussel provides natural Chondrotin, unique Omega 3's (including ETA) and is a rich source of glycosaminoglycans, amino acids and minerals

odckdo wrote: »
    I use Yumove on my older dog.

Each tablet contains:
    Glucosamine HCl# 250mg
    Green Lipped Mussel * 150mg
    Hyaluronic Acid 1.5mg
    Manganese 3mg
    Vitamin C 12.5mg
    Vitamin E 0.5mg
    # Glucosamine HCl is the purest form available (99.8% pure)
    * Green Lipped Mussel provides natural Chondrotin, unique Omega 3's (including ETA) and is a rich source of glycosaminoglycans, amino acids and minerals

Thats a really good supplement. Do you mind me asking where you order it from? Was looking it up there and prices seem to vary a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

maggiepip wrote: »
    Thats a really good supplement. Do you mind me asking where you order it from? Was looking it up there and prices seem to vary a bit.

Someone on here told me about Yumove before. Can't remember who.

I normally get it on either Amazon or Animeddirect.

www.amazon.co.uk/Yumove-Supplement-Tablet-300-Tablets/dp/B003W5VDWO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1402740250&sr=1-1&keywords=yumove

www.animeddirect.co.uk/yumove-tablets-for-dogs-pack-of-300.html

The largest container has 300 tablets. It is made by www.lintbells.co.uk and they have other products too. They have a veterinary version called Yumove Advanced which has higher green lipped mussel but you need a script.

According to the guidelines, as my dog weighs between 12-13kg, he only needs 1 supplement per day. I emailed the Lintbells owner before and he said that if I wanted to increase the GLM to give him 2 a day. I am doing this and in a way it is like having the veterinary version.

Brilliant!!! ^^^thanks a mil for that. The 300 pack is only £34 stg at the moment from amazon which is very reasonable.

Advertisement