Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20 Most Peaceful Countries in the World

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OMG, we're famous!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

That list has Qatar on it. Really? Qatar? The same place where foreign workers are worked to death. :confused:

That list has Qatar on it. Really? Qatar? The same place where foreign workers are worked to death. :confused:

All things are relative. It's not only the absence of violence in one place, but just how violent others are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

They paid vast amounts to the author of that article, didn't you know? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Big deal, it's like giving a guy with no hands a pat on the back because he never stole anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Just don't mention flegs n stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

One webpage per item? Cannot STAND websites that do that! I'm just going to assume it's Iraq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Im surprised Liechtenstein wasnt on the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Big deal, it's like giving a guy with no hands a pat on the back because he never stole anything.

But you can still enjoy the fact that nothing was stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nordic nations are just so smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they obviously didn't go near Talbot Street when doing their research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

they get to rest in peace

Denmark is Sweden Right ? that was #1

Sweden is a pretty respectful country of all cultures and people I'm not surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

they obviously didn't go near Talbot Street when doing their research.
    Ah heyour, leave eh bleedin' ouh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Im surprised Liechtenstein wasnt on the list

this is why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

That website is horribly written crap. Yet it is linked to from everywhere.

Why is Ireland safe?

With its rich historical sites, amazing green pastures and friendly people, it’s not surprising that Ireland is one of the most peaceful countries on Earth!

That's right. All you need is (cliche alert) historical sites, greenness and friendliness and you get low crime.

You may not be able to follow her logic on that but there is no faulting the logic on Denmark.

Denmark tops the list of the most peaceful countries on Earth since it’s really a safe place to live..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Japan at 10??? I was with them 100% till that. I guess it's all about the now, and none of the History.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Mauritius sounds like an Asian person saying malicious.

Coincidence? I think not!

Sweden is a pretty respectful country of all cultures and people I'm not surprised

Pretty sure there's a few Danes howling politely right now. I like the Danes btw, a genuinely great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

No. DENMARK IS NOT ****ING SWEDEN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

No. DENMARK IS NOT ****ING SWEDEN.

are you sure? seems pretty swedish

diograis wrote: »
    are you sure? seems pretty swedish

Don't push them now! They have a rep to live up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Don't push them now! They have a rep to live up to.

sure they're all blond what's the difference :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

They are mainly European countries on the list. We have something special here in Europe we should be careful not to ruin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

whirlpool wrote: »
    One webpage per item? Cannot STAND websites that do that! I'm just going to assume it's Iraq.

+ 5000

Fvcking makes me piss my pants in rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I bet we went up a few places in Aug and Oct 94 !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

thats not a real list wheres the United States duh

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »
    They are mainly European countries on the list. We have something special here in Europe we should be careful not to ruin it.

A history of endlessly slaughtering each other wholesale in pointless World wars? :D Sure it's like a family row, on "Break" - nobody mention the war..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

So it's peaceful we are is it now.
    well we'll just see about that.

> grabs shotgun<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Japan was one of the most aggressive warlike states who committed multiple mass genocides and they are tenth on the list.

Your list is bollox.

Japan was one of the most aggressive warlike states who committed multiple mass genocides and they are tenth on the list.

Your list is bollox.

Them Danes used to be everywhere hopping out of their longboats and pillaging as well. Viking Direct used to be a lot less paper and loads more cuts. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

The site seems to be a travel writers opinion rather than anything backed by facts and stats. If you spend your holiday hiking in Glendalough rather than at an old firm derby Sunday in a pub in Coolock, I guess we would give off that impression.

Good to see the pesky war mongerers of San Marino kept off this list.

Your list is bollox.

"was" being the key word there. The list is revised every year and they're not committing much genocide these days now, are they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Well looks like a win-win situation for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

In your face Finland and New Zealand -
    however we gotta up our game and catch Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

But where is the US? Needs a recount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Slovenia at 4 is fine.... Ljubljana a lovely city is fine..... But Maribor !!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I'm just happy that Sweden was No.1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Japan at 10??? I was with them 100% till that. I guess it's all about the now, and none of the History.

Yes, exactly. Most countries have violence in their past. I go to Japan fairly regularly and (apart from natural disasters) I've never felt safer :)
    131spanner wrote: »
    Mauritius sounds like an Asian person saying malicious.

Coincidence? I think not!

This sounds like a tired bit of racial stereotyping. I hope it isn't. None of my family and friends pronounce it as you claim. :rolleyes:

Your list is bollox.

Yes, it was. That's in the past. Don't forget the US committed several acts of mass genocide on Japan; Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the firebombing of Tokyo.

I agree, though. The list is silly and poorly written.

Ja, ja.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Ireland 11? Unbelievable. Perhaps there is part of Ireland that had wonderful customer service and friendly people. I just haven't found it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why is Ireland safe?
    Because there's not that much crime. Dublin suffers from the same level of crime most large cities would suffer, if anything untowards happens at all it makes national news. Outside of Dublin there's not all that much crime, we just like to think we live in a cesspit when in fact we live in a pretty safe country.
    We've gotten all our fighting out of our system. Maybe what the rest of the world needs is another world war to be friends.
    Yeah, but they haven't done that kind of stuff in over half a century. If your going to judge a country on it's past Ireland would want to keep a low profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Click through 20 different pages so that the website can get 20 times the advertising revenue instead of listing all on one page?
    **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

ScumLord wrote: »
    Because there's not that much crime. Dublin suffers from the same level of crime most large cities would suffer, if anything untowards happens at all it makes national news. Outside of Dublin there's not all that much crime, we just like to think we live in a cesspit when in fact we live in a pretty safe country.

We've gotten all our fighting out of our system. Maybe what the rest of the world needs is another world war to be friends.

Yeah, but they haven't done that kind of stuff in over half a century. If your going to judge a country on it's past Ireland would want to keep a low profile.

Yet why does it seem like the whole world is bubbling up with anger and political tension? See: Ukraine; Syria, if you want examples. Tensions generally bubbling up along with economic difficulty are quite the precursors to major war. Will we see anything like WWI or WWII again? Probably not, technology's come so far.

Europe is peaceful-ish at the moment simply because there is a forum where many european countries talk regularly; not because we're spectacularly peaceful people...

Yet why does it seem like the whole world is bubbling up with anger and political tension? See: Ukraine; Syria, if you want examples. Tensions generally bubbling up along with economic difficulty are quite the precursors to major war. Will we see anything like WWI or WWII again? Probably not, technology's come so far.

Europe is peaceful-ish at the moment simply because there is a forum where many european countries talk regularly; not because we're spectacularly peaceful people...
    No, going by our track record the last 50 years are a bit of a freak anomaly, we haven't seen peace like this since the Romans beat their version of civilization into half of europe.

I don't think europeans would have the stomach for another war anytime soon though. Most of europe is too intertwined at this stage, we all know people living in another part of europe, we've all been to these countries and we won't be duped into believing one particular group is causing all our woes.

Ukraine isn't really a european conflict in that it's not two European countries fighting each other. It's russia getting it's knickers in a twist over it's former allies wanting to side more with Europe and the US. Europe as a whole is on the Ukraines side.

No, going by our track record the last 50 years are a bit of a freak anomaly, we haven't seen peace like this since the Romans beat their version of civilization into half of europe.

I don't think europeans would have the stomach for another war anytime soon though. Most of europe is too intertwined at this stage, we all know people living in another part of europe, we've all been to these countries and we won't be duped into believing one particular group is causing all our woes.

Ukraine isn't really a european conflict in that it's not two European countries fighting each other. It's russia getting it's knickers in a twist over it's former allies wanting to side more with Europe and the US. Europe as a whole is on the Ukraines side.

That's pretty much what I was saying. Look at the proliferation of European countries on that top 20 list. It's not down to European people being naturally peaceful, it's because of having a forum where countries talk (the EU).

And the Ukraine very much is geographically European, the bit of Russia that matters (its capital) is in Europe and it's Ukraine's relationship (or diminishing relationship) with the EU that kicked all this off.

And while France may not want to go to war with Germany, Portugal and Spain might go to war with (as an arbitrary example) Turkey. The peace in Europe isn't like peace within the USA. European countries have much, much bigger differences and are far more sovereign than US states. So while there's peace - mostly - at the moment, that peace and lack of willingness to physically go to war simply cannot be taken for granted.

And the Ukraine very much is geographically European, the bit of Russia that matters (its capital) is in Europe and it's Ukraine's relationship (or diminishing relationship) with the EU that kicked all this off.
    Ukraine is in Europe but I don't consider Russia to be european. I don't even think they should be allowed in the Eurovision.

Ukraine is in Europe but I don't consider Russia to be european. I don't even think they should be allowed in the Eurovision.

Unfortunately whether you consider them European or not is irrelevant, Moscow is in Europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement