Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

same also on work experience. Where have you guys been doing your work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

same also on work experience. Where have you guys been doing your work experience.

I have two weeks after Christmas

what are people doing for their community involvement??? :D

no one....ok

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

no one....ok

Lol im working in a charity shop, I assume your on about gaisce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

The local vets. It's been grand.

For the community involvement, I'm visiting the elderly in the community. The school organise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

what are people doing for their community involvement??? :D

Green schools...which is more active in my school than I previously imagined.

What musicals are everybody doing? (that's if your school does one at all)

Green schools...which is more active in my school than I previously imagined.

What musicals are everybody doing? (that's if your school does one at all)

can you give me some tips on anything else I could do for community involvement. I can't do charity shops because I began doing that at the start of the year, but there awfully dusty and I have an allergic reaction to dust. Any small societies in Dublin I could join??

can you give me some tips on anything else I could do for community involvement. I can't do charity shops because I began doing that at the start of the year, but there awfully dusty and I have an allergic reaction to dust. Any small societies in Dublin I could join??

Order of malta? Tidytowns?

Going bowling tomorrow as a bonding exercise. Should be fun enough I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Pretty quiet now in my TY, we went see a comedy show last week which was brilliant. Just doing work experience every friday and then we have our holidays on the 12th of December and come in for like 20 minutes on of the days, the week after for our interview. Ty is enjoyable for me but its working out very expensive :( also the amount of projects that need to be done is ridiculous in my school!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Do yas get much hanky Panky on trips away?

I can't speak for Transition Year programmes in other schools, but ours is pretty damn impressive so far; If you find yourself with nothing to do it really is your own fault, nobody else's (at least in my school anyway)

Last week we ran a (surprisingly) successful Tag Rugby blitz for the students of the local primary school. It really was enjoyable, and it actually made me realise that "yano, working with kids isn't the absolute terror I previously thought"

We have at least 1 or 2 guest speakers every week, covering anything from Photography, Chess, Astrology, Biochemistry, Car Maintenance, Social Entrepreneurship etc. which are mostly insightful and enjoyable.

Since we came back after Halloween it has been full steam ahead for our TY Musical, I can honestly say that I am far more shattered today after a full week of rehearsals than I ever was after a week of normal classes, but I thoroughly enjoy every minute of it.

Our Mini-Company (Hoodies, how original :pac:) is also a nice side project for the uncommon occasion of there being a slow day.

Of course about one-quarter of the students in my year are still plagued by the motive to spend every day in TY dossing like nobody has dossed before. They will scrape the pot for every and any excuse to go downtown, and in their eyes, a day spent frolicking about downtown in coffee shops and hardware stores is a day well spent:rolleyes: but, y'know, whatever floats your boat.

//End{Positive post about TY}//

I can't speak for Transition Year programmes in other schools, but ours is pretty damn impressive so far; If you find yourself with nothing to do it really is your own fault, nobody else's (at least in my school anyway)

Last week we ran a (surprisingly) successful Tag Rugby blitz for the students of the local primary school. It really was enjoyable, and it actually made me realise that "yano, working with kids isn't the absolute terror I previously thought"

We have at least 1 or 2 guest speakers every week, covering anything from Photography, Chess, Astrology, Biochemistry, Car Maintenance, Social Entrepreneurship etc. which are mostly insightful and enjoyable.

Since we came back after Halloween it has been full steam ahead for our TY Musical, I can honestly say that I am far more shattered today after a full week of rehearsals than I ever was after a week of normal classes, but I thoroughly enjoy every minute of it.

Our Mini-Company (Hoodies, how original :pac:) is also a nice side project for the uncommon occasion of there being a slow day.

Of course about one-quarter of the students in my year are still plagued by the motive to spend every day in TY dossing like nobody has dossed before. They will scrape the pot for every and any excuse to go downtown, and in their eyes, a day spent frolicking about downtown in coffee shops and hardware stores is a day well spent:rolleyes: but, y'know, whatever floats your boat.

//End{Positive post about TY}//

Cool to see that people's TY is going quite good and productively. I am keeping myself busy with trying to improve my skills in all different aspects. I have taking a first aid course outside of school which should be good despite the majority of people there are like 11 years old :P:P. I've decided to learn HTML and am trying to find the best online course that can teach me. Im also trying to bulk up a bit and gain some muscle and regain my fitness. After the JC year my sporting and fitness level has never been so low. I've been busy with some school work - a lot of presentations. Ive presented 3 powerpoint presentations this week which is crazy, but it is definetely helping my confidence. I'm kind of upset that my school is doing a lot of activities outside the class. We get a guest speaker each week but apart from that, but I feel EVERY WEEK there should be some trip or fun activity.

What are other people doing in TY in school and outside school

You guys get guest speakers once a week?!? We're lucky to get one once a term

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

One month ban for better call saul - trolling all sorts of forums.

This thread just seems to get little quick bursts of conversations and then dies for a couple of weeks. :P What are people up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

This thread just seems to get little quick bursts of conversations and then dies for a couple of weeks. :P What are people up to.

I've done some work in a charity shop for the Gaisce award. I've done lots of other community work during school time as well. I still haven't done any work experience yet.

VG31 wrote: »
    I've done some work in a charity shop for the Gaisce award. I've done lots of other community work during school time as well. I still haven't done any work experience yet.

Cool do you have any plans for where to do your work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Cool do you have any plans for where to do your work experience

I'm interested in aviation so I'm organising work experience at some places at Dublin Airport. I might give the Aer Corps a try as well. :)

• Advertisement

Not much - practicing carols for fundraising for Simon at the moment. My January's way busier. Two debates, public speaking, going with my friend to young scientist. I didn't get in but I get to go anyways so it's not to bad.

Anyone here get young scientist?

ElmW13 wrote: »
    Not much - practicing carols for fundraising for Simon at the moment. My January's way busier. Two debates, public speaking, going with my friend to young scientist. I didn't get in but I get to go anyways so it's not to bad.

Anyone here get young scientist?

Sounds fun. I didn't do young scientist but kinda wish i did. Have to start some personal fundraising soon. Anyone got any ideas for me??? I'm clueless

Sounds fun. I didn't do young scientist but kinda wish i did. Have to start some personal fundraising soon. Anyone got any ideas for me??? I'm clueless

The class is a bit boring now. Have a sub and he always wants to know where you are going :confused: Are you allowed fundraise in school?

ElmW13 wrote: »
    The class is a bit boring now. Have a sub and he always wants to know where you are going :confused: Are you allowed fundraise in school?

Yeah there's always little fundraisers going on in our school for different societies. But that's part of group/school fundraising. Any advice on what i could do on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

We started doing Toastmasters a few weeks ago and have it every Wednesday until Christmas..
    It's pretty nerve wrecking but I guess that's the point of it. :]

Started working in a primary school for work experience two weeks ago.
    Seems to be a lot better than what I did for my first place and is something I could actually visualise myself doing. :P

Is everyone else off on Tuesday as well?

Liordi wrote: »
    We started doing Toastmasters a few weeks ago and have it every Wednesday until Christmas..
    It's pretty nerve wrecking but I guess that's the point of it. :]

Started working in a primary school for work experience two weeks ago.
    Seems to be a lot better than what I did for my first place and is something I could actually visualise myself doing. :P

Is everyone else off on Tuesday as well?

Yep off Tuesday. I have a lot of free time on my hand at the moment so am trying to find a small part time job but it ain't easy :o

Well fluster my jimbobs I'm after failing Grade 7 piano :eek:

Really surprised considering I put a lot of work in and was very confident following the exam. My teacher is even surprised and is saying that I must have come along a hard marker.

Sooo...TY off-topic, do I repeat Grade 7 in summer, or keep going into Grade 8 and work harder at it? I don't really want to waste 6 months tattering about with the same pieces and scales when I could move on to something new and have Grade 8 done and dusted by Christmas of 5th Year.

But, as my piano teacher pointed out, if I failed Grade 7, what's to say I won't fail Grade 8, which she says is considerably trickier.

Really surprised considering I put a lot of work in and was very confident following the exam. My teacher is even surprised and is saying that I must have come along a hard marker.

Sooo...TY off-topic, do I repeat Grade 7 in summer, or keep going into Grade 8 and work harder at it? I don't really want to waste 6 months tattering about with the same pieces and scales when I could move on to something new and have Grade 8 done and dusted by Christmas of 5th Year.

But, as my piano teacher pointed out, if I failed Grade 7, what's to say I won't fail Grade 8, which she says is considerably trickier.

If you're doing it with the Royal Irish Academy of Music people, I'm almost certain that the exam pieces are changing at the end of this year so if you were to repeat grade seven, you would have to learn a whole new set of pieces. If it's with the ABRSM, I think they do exams early in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

I'm sorry to hear about the exam. If you're doing the RIAM exams, there's not much difference between the pieces for Grade 7 and Grade 8, it's the scales/theory that are the trickiest part. As the syllabus for RIAM changes for 2015, I would be more inclined to just go ahead and start Grade 8- you would have 3 years to do the exam so you could ensure everything is up to standard.
    Just on a side note- how many weeks did it take for your results to arrive? I did my exam last Friday and I'm just wondering if I'm being overly-optimistic by hoping they will arrive before Christmas?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to hear about the exam. If you're doing the RIAM exams, there's not much difference between the pieces for Grade 7 and Grade 8, it's the scales/theory that are the trickiest part. As the syllabus for RIAM changes for 2015, I would be more inclined to just go ahead and start Grade 8- you would have 3 years to do the exam so you could ensure everything is up to standard.
    Just on a side note- how many weeks did it take for your results to arrive? I did my exam last Friday and I'm just wondering if I'm being overly-optimistic by hoping they will arrive before Christmas?

Yeah, I'm with Trinity Guildhall, a slightly lesser known examinations crowd. Unlike the RIAM (who I used to be with and I know take painfully long to issue results), you can expect certificate (or lack of one:pac: in my case) within 3 or 4 days

Advertisement